Is Malik Morris the next Myles Jack?

badrouter

I was a fan of UCLA when Jim Mora was coach (they fucked up by firing him IMO). And Myles Jack was probably the most awesome player they had in those years. He was primarily a linebacker of course. But, they'd bring him in at RB in crucial situations and each time he came in, the sense that he was going to make a play was almost magical. I got the same feeling watching Malik Morris for Lakeland this year. He's 6'0"/6'1"  240 lbs, claims a camp-verified 4.5 forty and claims a 10'8"standing broad jump. These numbers were recorded this past off-season. At the time of the Norland and St. Joseph's Prep games, he was fifteen (15) years old. His role on offense expanded in the playoffs, and he jumped off the screen in both the seminfinal and the title game vs. Venice. Lakeland almost always ran a simple HB toss with him and he was never really stopped...even when teams had figured out what was coming. But, he seems to be projected as a LB. I wonder whether he's better off as RB, LB or both.

Morris

15 hours ago, badrouter said:

I was a fan of UCLA when Jim Mora was coach (they fucked up by firing him IMO). And Myles Jack was probably the most awesome player they had in those years. He was primarily a linebacker of course. But, they'd bring him in at RB in crucial situations and each time he came in, the sense that he was going to make a play was almost magical. I got the same feeling watching Malik Morris for Lakeland this year. He's 6'0"/6'1"  240 lbs, claims a camp-verified 4.5 forty and claims a 10'8"standing broad jump. These numbers were recorded this past off-season. At the time of the Norland and St. Joseph's Prep games, he was fifteen (15) years old. His role on offense expanded in the playoffs, and he jumped off the screen in both the seminfinal and the title game vs. Venice. Lakeland almost always ran a simple HB toss with him and he was never really stopped...even when teams had figured out what was coming. But, he seems to be projected as a LB. I wonder whether he's better off as RB, LB or both.

Morris

I can't trust your eye when evaluating players for the next level. I'm still waiting on the one guy to make a play on Saturday's to show he was better than Chris Rainey.

7 hours ago, nptb17 said:

I can't trust your eye when evaluating players for the next level. I'm still waiting on the one guy to make a play on Saturday's to show he was better than Chris Rainey.

I haven't made any assertions as to how good Morris will be in college, or how he will compare to other players. I asked a question, and gave the measurables he's claiming. A 10'8" broad jump seems to be an odd thing to make up. The 4.5 forty he says is camp verified, and I've seen plays where that seems believable. His TD or first down conversion to carries ratio was pretty amazing this year. He's (I assume) just turned 16 years old. So, his ceiling looks very high, but there's no way to be certain about a kid that age. 

• 4 months later...

In the name of maintaining some objectivity, I have to acknowledge the recent poor track record of Lakeland prospects in college. Demarkcus Bowman was a bust. Lloyd Summerall, Fenley Graham and to a lesser extent Arian Smith and Keon Zipperer were as well. Cormani McClain just entered the transfer portal. That is quite simply an embarrassment for McClain. Why they've all flopped is a mystery, and it isn't necessarily the same explanation for all of them. Graham was too short for DB; Zipperer is not fast enough at his relatively small size. But, Bowman and McClain were not busts because they lacked the physical ability. There were other issues for them.

I don't think there's any reason to believe the Lakeland program itself is to blame. If anything, their flopping suggests the program was so strong that it made average-ish players look like beasts.

I say all of this because I wonder if these flops have contributed to a low ranking for Malik Morris. He's only 4* in one outlet at the moment, and 3* in the others. If anyone has looked at his film and measurables, is there any other reason why he's a 3/4* rather than a 5*?

34 minutes ago, badrouter said:

In the name of maintaining some objectivity, I have to acknowledge the recent poor track record of Lakeland prospects in college. Demarkcus Bowman was a bust. Lloyd Summerall, Fenley Graham and to a lesser extent Arian Smith and Keon Zipperer were as well. Cormani McClain just entered the transfer portal. That is quite simply an embarrassment for McClain. Why they've all flopped is a mystery, and it isn't necessarily the same explanation for all of them. Graham was too short for DB; Zipperer is not fast enough at his relatively small size. But, Bowman and McClain were not busts because they lacked the physical ability. There were other issues for them.

I don't think there's any reason to believe the Lakeland program itself is to blame. If anything, their flopping suggests the program was so strong that it made average-ish players look like beasts.

I say all of this because I wonder if these flops have contributed to a low ranking for Malik Morris. He's only 4* in one outlet at the moment, and 3* in the others. If anyone has looked at his film and measurables, is there any other reason why he's a 3/4* rather than a 5*?

At that age and size with those measurable, where would you project him to play in three years? And just based on a couple minutes of film I have serious doubts about that 4.5. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

At that age and size with those measurable, where would you project him to play in three years? And just based on a couple minutes of film I have serious doubts about that 4.5. 

I think his 100m time would be pretty impressive. I have seen him explode at times that makes it conceivable he could be in the 4.5s with the 40. It does seem he's got a profile as a guy who will be rather huge and strong, but maybe at the expense of speed. And, if he stays 6'0"/6'1", he wouldn't project high as a DL. So, he should aim not to be as big as he could be and just stay in the 240 range. But, all of his coaches and the opposing coaches seem to think he's a 5* kid. He's class of 2026, so still has two years for it all to play out...

• 2 weeks later...