Taking a stab at Louisiana

Reb72

since Frosty's not here (yet) and somebody's got to do it, there's some great games this week in Louisiana.  The Selects (DIV I) are in the semifinals

we've got:

# 6 Brother Martin at # 2 Scotlandville

BM seems to be peaking at the right time, I wasn't convinced they were the best team in Louisiana but just maybe I was wrong.  Not only did they travel up to Baton Rouge and beat Catholic, it's how they beat them (28 - 0).  Scotlandville has athletes all over the field but have been slacking of late having only beat an upstart (all-be-it a little late) St Augustine team 27 - 20.  Brother Martin makes a 2nd straight trip up to Baton Rouge and I see them coming home happy again.  I'll take Brother Martin 28 - 21

# 5 Evangel at # 1 John Curtis

Curtis' game with Rummel was close (tied at 20 I think) right up to the end when Rummel's mistakes caught up to them.  Curtis is the type team that can make you pay for mistakes (Curtis pulled it out 34 - 20).  I said after the game with West Monroe I wasn't that impressed with Curtis and I thought they'd lose a game...  if Evangel doesn't make mistakes and their defense (yes, Evangel has a defense too) plays like they've been playing of late, I think this is that game.  I like Evangel 28 - 24

if Frosty doesn't show up, I'll try the 5A games later but these should be 2 great ones!

Edited by Reb72
mispelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Kajun63 said:

on a different note

I have been hearing two different stories and maybe you can clear it up.

if Acadiana and WM both win this week where would the game be played between the two.

Thanks,

game would be at West Monroe or St Amant, higher seed is home in the semi's regardless of previous travel...  that would mean Acadiana would have had to travel for 3 straight weeks.  You guys have got to stop forfeiting, it affects your seeding  :o

Best of luck to the Wreckin' Rams, you are peaking at the right time, playoffs always seem to be your time

Aight...I'm gonna try and guess these 5A games from 700 miles from New Orleans:

#1 Destrehan vs #9 John Ehret --- Oh why Mandeville WHYYYYYYY?!?!  Yall were 9 seconds and a freak 2pt conversion away from finishing the job...But eh...I understand...WR Justin Jefferson is a helluva WR to contain regardless of which QB is throwing to him...Speaking of QB...What does the Destrehan staff have on QB Kohen Granier that they keep starting him over the hot QB (J.R. Blood)??  Destrehan fans weren't happy with Granier's play in the title game last season (The bonehead INTS)...And what does he do in this game...Throws a Pick-6 that had Destrehan fans rumbling again...J.R. Blood comes in for an injured Granier and calmly goes 4-6 with the crucial TD to Jefferson that set up the wild finish...RB Kristian Mosely didn't have a Mosely type game but he did gain 84 yards on 17 carries with a TD...His backup John Emory picked up the slack with 133 yards on 12 carries with a TD as well...You can NEVER take a playoff with these RBs...

As for John Ehret...I watched their game on stream and for a while wondered how in the hell this squad beat my Bucs...That changed after their 35-28 win over #8 Hahnville...Sure John Ehret made4 a mistake on special team and kicked the ball to Anthony "Pooka" Williams...But they seemed to have a counter punch every time Hahnville made a run...Hahnville's gambling D didn't make enough plays....Also didn't help that "Pooka" only got 10 carries for 55 yards...Yes...Devonte Clark is a pretty good RB in his own right but "Pooka" is the engine that kept Hahnville running all season long and they didn't use him enough imo...John Ehret RB Byron James' 137 yards and 2 TDs on 15 carries had a lot to do with that as he extended drives allowing John Ehret's D to stay fresh enough to "contain" Hahnville's running game for the most part as Hahnville had only 29 yards rushing in the 2nd half (123 total 2nd half yards)...

With that said...John Ehret's D can't continue to give up the big plays against Destrehan...And ya can't focus on 1 guy like ya could against Hahnville...

My pick:  Destrehan 44 John Ehret 30  
Keep an eye on the QB situation in Destrehan tho.. 

#5 Landry-Walker (aka -- O.P. Walker) @ #4 Parkway -- Points...Will...Be...Scored....Again...

Is it safe to say that Keytaon Thompson may be the best dual threat QB in Louisiana...Every time I look up...This guy is torching defenses with both his arm (17-27 for 410 yards and 4 TDs) and his legs (A "modest" 14 carries for 65 yards and a TD) in Landry-Walkers 50-24 win over Sulphur...Helping him out is RB Tevin Bush (West Virginia commit) who had ONLY 115 yards on 9 carries (2TDs) and 3 catches for 56 yards (another TD)...

Needless to say...Parkway's Defense is going to have problems...

BUT Parkway has firepower also with QB Justin Rodgers WR Terrace Marshall and the RB duo of Robert McKnight and E.J. Williams...They needed all four of them (and a HUGE 84-yard fumble return for a TD) to fight off a very game but overmatched #20 Central (BR) squad 26-14....Of course a couple of big-plays went against Parkway (84-yard TD run by Rodgers called back for an iffy block-in-the-back) but Parkway's D actually supported the O for once...This week Parkway's D is going to need all the help they can get as Landry-Walker has the speed advantage at the skill positions....

Despite Parkway being tough to beat in Preston-Crownover stadium...I think Landry-Walker's speed advantage will outshine Parkway's Offense...Barely...Might not want to spot Parkway 3 turnovers tho...

My Pick:  Landry-Walker 44 Parkway 38 

#14 Acadiana vs #11 Zachary -- Yeah yeah...Ponchatoula fans will use the excuse of their star QB getting hurt again....as the reason Acadiana beat them...But Acadiana took Ponchatoula's spirit with a 16-play 73-yard drive that took almost 10 mins off the clock and netted a FG that gave Acadiana a 24-14 lead and forced them to play catchup (Something Ponchatoula's style-of-play doesn't really suit them for)...It doesn't help that Acadiana's RB/DB Braylen Trahan went bonkers on both sides of the ball (Over 105-yards and a TD on offense and 2 of 4 Acadiana's INTs with 1 being a Pick-6) in a 38-14 win for the Wreckin' Rams...

Meanwhile Jeckyl-N- Hyde decided to stay Jeckyl and dominated #27 East Ascension from start-to-finish in a 51-17 win over the overmatched Spartans...QB Keilon Brown appears seasoned as he threw for 2 TDs and ran for another...The freshman has to be sharp against an Acadiana defense that has forced 9 INTS in their past 2 playoff games...That and Zachary's D will SOMEHOW have to whether the size-advantage of Acadiana's O-Line...I don't see it happenin'

My Pick:  Acadiana 31 Zachary 21
(Acadiana...Can we PLEASE STOP spotting teams 7 or 14 points)

#7 St Amant vs #2 West Monroe --- As expected....West Monroe dominated...again...Athlete Slade Bolden and RB Trey Coleman (Tennessee Commit) both ran for over 100...Bolden also had 2 receiving TDs from "Backup" QB Robert Foust (Who also ran for a TD) as BOTH versions of West Monroe's offense were up to the task (again)...Oh and WR Taylor Young ran another 50-yard punt return for a TD with their clearly superior special teams...Now stop giving up the big pass play Rebels (50-yard TD pass by Arkansas commit Devion Warren)...because St Amant QB Hayden Mallory WILL test yall through the air...

While West Monroe was dominating Ouachita for the 10,982 time in a row 61-21...St Amant was in a street-fight with #10 Barbe (Who I picked win win state :( ...)  It came down to a key injury (Barbe's QB Nettles went down again) and a crucial defensive play (Khaj Washington's Pick-6 off Barbe's backup QB Luke Richard) to come out with a hard-fought 16-6 win...QB Hayden Mallory was only 9-20 for 102 yards and a TD and 3rd string RB Cade Nelson gained 108 yards on 12 carries (might want to hold onto that ball going into the endzone tho...)

But this night belonged to St Amants defense as they held Barbe RB Kirkland Banks to 76 yards rushing (A difficult feat to do) including stopping him on a 4th-and-3 gamble...Can St Amant's high-power offense regroup in time to complement the Gator defense....Will West Monroe's offense stay true-to-form???  I expect this game to be close as these 2 teams have had some decent battles in the past...

My Pick:  West Monroe 27 St Amant 21 

My other picks:  

4A:

#1 Neville @ #9 Carencro
My Pick:  Neville 28 Carencro 26 

#5 Minden @ #13 Warren Easton
My Pick:  Minden 31 Warren Easton 20

#3 McDonogh 35 @ #11 Plaquamine
My Pick:  McDonogh 35 30 Plaquamine 20

#10 Benton @ #2 Edna Karr
My Pick:  Karr 49 Benton 28

3A:  

#1 West Feliciana vs #8 Northwest
My Pick:  West Feliciana 49 Northwest 42

#5 Marksville @ #4 Lutcher
My Pick:  Lutcher 35 Marksville 21

#3 Kaplan @ #6 Jennings
My Pick:  Jennings 20-17

#7 Amite @ #2 Iowa
My Pick:  Amite 28-27

2A:

#1 Many vs #24 West St John
My Pick:  Many 27 West St John 17

#5 Kinder @ #4 Sterlington
My Pick:  Kinder 30 Sterlington 23

#19 Rayville vs #6 St Helena
My Pick:  Rayville 21 St Helena 20

#10 Ferriday @ #2 Madison Prep
My Pick:  Madison Prep 40 Ferriday 21

1A:

#1 Haynesville vs Delhi Charter
My Pick:  Haynesville 42 Delhi Carter 7

#5 Oak Grove vs #13 Plain Dealing
My Pick: Oak Grove 49 Plain Dealing 30

#3 Kentwood vs #6 Arcadia
My Pick:  Kentwood 28 Arcadia 17

#7 Varnado @ #2 Logansport
My Pick:  Logansport 40 Varnado 20

Division 1:

#1 John Curtis vs #5 Evangel
My Pick:  Evangel 28 John Curtis 24

#6 Brother Martin @ #2 Scotlandville
My Pick:  Brother Martin 34 Scotlandville 20

Division II:

#1 De La Salle vs #5 Parkview Baptist
My Pick:  De La Salle 27 Parkview Baptist 24

#3 St Thomas More vs #7 University Lab
My Pick:  St Thomas More 38 University Lab 31

Division III:

#1 Riverside Academy vs #4 Catholic (New Iberia)
My Pick:  Riverside Academy 40 Catholic N.I. 14

#3 St Charles Catholic @ #2 Notre Dame
My Pick:  St Charles Catholic 24 Notre Dame 20

Division IV:

#1 Ascension Episcopal vs #12 Central Catholic
My Pick:  Ascension Episcopal 49 Central Catholic 24

#3 Southern Lab vs #7 Cedar Creek
My Pick:  Southern Lab 39 Cedar Creek 24  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

#1 Destrehan vs #9 John Ehret --- Oh why Mandeville WHYYYYYYY?!?!  Yall were 9 seconds and a freak 2pt conversion away from finishing the job...But eh...I understand...WR Justin Jefferson is a helluva WR to contain regardless of which QB is throwing to him...Speaking of QB...What does the Destrehan staff have on QB Kohen Granier that they keep starting him over the hot QB (J.R. Blood)??  Destrehan fans weren't happy with Granier's play in the title game last season (The bonehead INTS)...And what does he do in this game...Throws a Pick-6 that had Destrehan fans rumbling again...J.R. Blood comes in for an injured Granier and calmly goes 4-6 with the crucial TD to Jefferson that set up the wild finish...RB Kristian Mosely didn't have a Mosely type game but he did gain 84 yards on 17 carries with a TD...His backup John Emory picked up the slack with 133 yards on 12 carries with a TD as well...You can NEVER take a playoff with these RBs...

As for John Ehret...I watched their game on stream and for a while wondered how in the hell this squad beat my Bucs...That changed after their 35-28 win over #8 Hahnville...Sure John Ehret made4 a mistake on special team and kicked the ball to Anthony "Pooka" Williams...But they seemed to have a counter punch every time Hahnville made a run...Hahnville's gambling D didn't make enough plays....Also didn't help that "Pooka" only got 10 carries for 55 yards...Yes...Devonte Clark is a pretty good RB in his own right but "Pooka" is the engine that kept Hahnville running all season long and they didn't use him enough imo...John Ehret RB Byron James' 137 yards and 2 TDs on 15 carries had a lot to do with that as he extended drives allowing John Ehret's D to stay fresh enough to "contain" Hahnville's running game for the most part as Hahnville had only 29 yards rushing in the 2nd half (123 total 2nd half yards)...

With that said...John Ehret's D can't continue to give up the big plays against Destrehan...And ya can't focus on 1 guy like ya could against Hahnville...

My pick:  Destrehan 44 John Ehret 30  
Keep an eye on the QB situation in Destrehan tho.. 

(Editing in the rest)

You are the reason I'm back.

Where in the world do you get this stuff, seriously?

I am too close to make a call on St Amant/West Monroe, I will say this is the type of offense that can give my Rebels fits.  Whenever STA/WM have gotten together there is usually not a lot of defense played, could be the difference in this game if one of the defenses can come up big or it can be like games in the past with whoever has the ball last...  O.o  A fast start could be key

Thanks again Frosty, good to have you back!

• Like 1

I pick the Rebs to win it all in 5A,, I think it really burns them within them this year to do so.

In 4A,, I am pulling HARD for the Tide to at least make a appearance but Neville has it on lockdown.

In 3A Amite has speed and more speed,, I look for them to take it. 

In 2A,,, I thought Many had this on lockdown until they flipped Madison Prep over to nonselect,,,so Madison Prep gets it this year

In Class A,, the Tors have too much speed not to win it this year so Haynesville wins another title. 

In Division 4,,I look for the Creek to pull a upset over Southern Lab and win the title.

In Division 3,, Louie Cook is going to win a squeaker over Riverside

In Division 2 DelaSalle will win their first title as I have heard they are unreal.

In Division 1,, the state championship is Curtis vs ECA,, the winner of that game wins the title,,, so I am going to abstain from choosing a winner.

• Like 1

La. forums were such a great read just a few weeks ago. Very informative. Now all of sudden the respected guys are dissed.  Well I am clearly done with it.  Lurker and Hortdaddy I will hit you up to get the 411 on LA.  Frosty had the most informative posts and got many people to pay attention to La.  Hopefully that doesn't get destroyed going forward. Good stuff and good Luck Evangel please mudstomp J.C.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Always pulling for those W.M. Reb's. The savior against all those Privates.  :D  What do you think about this matchup Reb?

they scare me, senior laden team playing for the pride of that community which was devastated in the floods back in August.  I don't think St Amant is even back in their school, they have been sharing the facilities of Dutchtown; Dutchtown attends in the morning and St Amant in the afternoon.  Offensive line averages about 6'0" 260 (all seniors), defensive line about the same averaging about 6'3" 260.  Their SR QB is a slinger, 194 completions on 297 attempts for 2,500 yds and 35 TD's and 5 INT.  2 really good senior receivers, both 6'0" (1 already committed to Southern Miss).  They are going to spread it out but also have a pretty decent run game, QB can scramble and make accurate throws on the run but can also hurt you with his feet.  I think their best RB has 800 yds on the year. 

I don't think they've ever beaten the Rebs which may give them a little extra incentive...

8 minutes ago, Reb72 said:

Would have given this a "like" but I'm all out  :D  Good to have you over here DD!

I intended to come out and watch one of your playoff games.  Still on my bucket list. I did get to see them live 2 years ago against Lufkin. There is some serious damn football water in that Monroe area. Neville and West Monroe. I don't know of another city that size with 2 teams of that quality. Maybe JT and Tyler Lee on occasion but not nearly as consistent.  I will watch. Well getting ready for my Cowboys just pulled the Big Bird off the smoker, as well as braised smoked beef ribs, Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing and fried Okra.  It's about to be on up in this piece.  Have a great thanksgiving.  Really enjoyed reading the La. threads over the past few months.  Frosty did a heckuva job in my opinion.  Take care sir and happy holidays.  

8 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

I intended to come out and watch one of your playoff games.  Still on my bucket list. I did get to see them live 2 years ago against Lufkin. There is some serious damn football water in that Monroe area. Neville and West Monroe. I don't know of another city that size with 2 teams of that quality. Maybe JT and Tyler Lee on occasion but not nearly as consistent.  I will watch. Well getting ready for my Cowboys just pulled the Big Bird off the smoker, as well as braised smoked beef ribs, Green Beans, Mashed Potatoes, Stuffing and fried Okra.  It's about to be on up in this piece.  Have a great thanksgiving.  Really enjoyed reading the La. threads over the past few months.  Frosty did a heckuva job in my opinion.  Take care sir and happy holidays.  

try and come next year, new stadium should (I'd like to say will but who knows) be completed by then.  We appreciate having you as an "honorary" Rebel fan and you are welcome anytime.  Sounds like you guys are ready to "feast," so go enjoy and a safe a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

30 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

NM

4 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

#1 Destrehan vs #9 John Ehret. Destrehan fans weren't happy with Granier's play in the title game last season (The bonehead INTS)..

We in NOLA know Destrehan lost in the 3rd round last year. So, there's that, I guess.

Tell us about that title game you saw in the Superdome.

NM

Anyways, not that anyone cares.

If Kohen Granier (Destrehan QB) is healthy he's the QB. He's been hurt half of the year. Played some vs Mandeville.

He's a two year starter with a couple or three mid-level D1 offers.

The game that frosty butchered was the 3rd round last year, not title game.

Kohen Grainer was 35-54 455 yds 5 TDs and 4 int in that game Two of those were deflections. One pick 6..Destrehan had 3 fumbles lost as well. Seven TO in all.

There are NO unhappy Destrehan fans, though,  QB battle going on, or dumb coaches. I don't get that or understand why he interjects "frosty" in these posts. I really don't.