Good Counsel at St. Edward to open the season

BigBobT

13 hours ago, MA Fan said:

GC just tweeted their schedule with St. Ed's (and St. Joe's Prep) on it earlier this evening:

Well the game against Mentor will be on 8/24. Week 1 in Ohio. And Mentor has no wiggle room with their schedule. Assuming that is week 0 for Maryland/DC, then that date is no longer an option. Perhaps something is in the works to shuffle the schedule and make that game happen. Ed's schedule looks like this right now:

08/24 A Mentor  
08/31 N Unknown Opponent ()
09/07 N Unknown Opponent ()
09/15 A Cincinnati Elder
09/21 N Unknown Opponent ()
09/29 A Akron Buchtel
10/06 H Indianapolis Cathedral (IN)
10/12 N Unknown Opponent ()
10/19 A Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/26 A Cleveland St. Ignatius

For the past 7 years, Glenville has been on the schedule in the first three weeks. Not sure if that game is being renewed again this year. It hasn't been competitive in years. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Ed's-Good Counsel game is officially off. However, they may have picked up Cass Tech for week 2. 

08/24 A Mentor  
08/31 H Detroit Cass Technical (MI)  
09/07 H H.D. Woodson (DC)  
09/15 A Cincinnati Elder 
09/29 A Akron Buchtel 
10/12 H St. Joseph - Football North (ON)  

4 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Looks like the Ed's-Good Counsel game is officially off. However, they may have picked up Cass Tech for week 2. 

08/24 A Mentor  
08/31 H Detroit Cass Technical (MI)  
09/07 H H.D. Woodson (DC)  
09/15 A Cincinnati Elder 
09/29 A Akron Buchtel 
10/12 H St. Joseph - Football North (ON)  

Good Counsel is not happy about Ed’s pulling out of this game. 

4 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Ed’s was supposed to be home. GC tweeted that Ed’s pulled out without explanation. Sucks. It would of a been a good game. 

Nick, 

Eds had an agreement based on one source at home then GC wanted them to play in PA at the event. 

Mentor came along and offered a home/away 2 year series. 

What have you heard contrary to this?

1 hour ago, hardhit1 said:

Nick, 

Eds had an agreement based on one source at home then GC wanted them to play in PA at the event. 

Mentor came along and offered a home/away 2 year series. 

What have you heard contrary to this?

The GC guys feel like Ed’s left them high and dry for Mentor. I’m not sure about the PA event claim because I thought GC played SJP from Philly in that game. It’s PA vs the world or something, so I’m not sure why MD would play OH. I heard it was an “unexpected cancellation”. When GC released the schedule it had the game at St. Ed’s in Ohio. I’m a DeMatha guy, so I’m just relaying the version I’ve heard. You may be right. 

1 minute ago, NicholasMalibu said:

The GC guys feel like Ed’s left them high and dry for Mentor. I’m not sure about the PA event claim because I thought GC played SJP from Philly in that game. It’s PA vs the world or something, so I’m not sure why MD would play OH. I heard it was an “unexpected cancellation”. When GC released the schedule it had the game at St. Ed’s in Ohio. I’m a DeMatha guy, so I’m just relaying the version I’ve heard. You may be right. 

Those games in PA - 4 games are the opening weekend, same time frame 

i would like to see a signed contract vs a claim

as GSB has stated to many rumors leak out before being final

i will find out the facts eventually 

Just now, hardhit1 said:

Once you do, let me know. Like I said, I’m just going off one side of the story and don’t know the specs. Either way, it would of been a good game. 

3 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Once you do, let me know. Like I said, I’m just going off one side of the story and don’t know the specs. Either way, it would of been a good game. 

I see DC Woodson plays Eds in week 3 Sept 9th time frame

they had some good players last year and only lost 2 games one being Eds

anything on them for this year?

Just now, hardhit1 said:

I see DC Woodson plays Eds in week 3 Sept 9th time frame

they had some good players last year and only lost 2 games one being Eds

anything on them for this year?

St. Ed’s will handle them on the scoreboard, but it will be a good run for both squads. HD Woodson will always have 5-7 FBS kids on the team and no depth. They also have a discipline issue which I hope the coaching staff(great guys) figure out. A sideline fight last season in a meaningless game cost them the city title when 18 players(not joking) were suspended for the championship game. DC public schools have never been afraid to play with the big boys, so I have nothing but respect for them. The Maryland public schools not so much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

That's what I'm hearing as well, that the proposed match-up was to take place at the PA event. When a home and home with the top public school in the Cleveland area came knocking (a team that has been hesitant to schedule Ed's in the past) they jumped at the rare opportunity. I don't think there was anything more than a gentleman's agreement in place with GC at that point. Ed's certainly wasn't putting it out there that GC had been added to the schedule. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OdbCle said:

That's what I'm hearing as well, that the proposed match-up was to take place at the PA event. When a home and home with the top public school in the Cleveland area came knocking (a team that has been hesitant to schedule Ed's in the past) they jumped at the rare opportunity. I don't think there was anything more than a gentleman's agreement in place with GC at that point. Ed's certainly wasn't putting it out there that GC had been added to the schedule. 

That makes sense. I still see why Good Counsel would look down on that. It’s a tough situation for them. They have very high expectations for this season. Now they are left scrambling for an opponent in game #1. 

18 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

That makes sense. I still see why Good Counsel would look down on that. It’s a tough situation for them. They have very high expectations for this season. Now they are left scrambling for an opponent in game #1. 

I certainly understand the frustration. And I'd be surprised if Ed's didn't try to work out the game another week. They've had plenty of teams cancel on them over the years or only make one-year commitments. Hell, they still don't have a full ten game schedule yet. Shame it didn't work out. I hear GC is pretty loaded this year and got excited when I saw that game was on the table. Ed's has to replace a lot, but they bring back some key skill players and have a good group of juniors looking to finally make their varsity marks.  

• Like 1