Teachers are walking out in multiple states. Blame GOP economics

RedZone

Oklahoma is a particularly pure example of conservative philosophy in action, since state law mandates a 75 percent supermajority in both houses of the legislature to raise taxes. That’s the result of a 1992 initiative that came in response to a 1990 tax increase passed to increase school funding. Which has led them to where they are today, with four-day school weeks, cold buildings and decades-old textbooks.

over 45K ain't a bad salary for a 180 day work year...plus those summer unemployment bennies...plus all the other pension goodies and such....51+ K is even better..

Funny tho when a 13 to 14% raise is not good enough....

So how come they all got their raises last week..... and they go on strike yesterday?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/here’s-why-oklahoma-teachers-are-striking-even-after-getting-a-dollar6100-pay-raise/ar-AAvoggM?ocid=spartandhp    

Now I fully support teachers as my mom was one, but how exactly do they get off saying that this is for the 'children'???

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dbcaptiron said:

over 45K ain't a bad salary for a 180 day work year...plus those summer unemployment bennies...plus all the other pension goodies and such....51+ K is even better..

Funny tho when a 13 to 14% raise is not good enough....

So how come they all got their raises last week..... and they go on strike yesterday?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/here’s-why-oklahoma-teachers-are-striking-even-after-getting-a-dollar6100-pay-raise/ar-AAvoggM?ocid=spartandhp    

Now I fully support teachers as my mom was one, but how exactly do they get off saying that this is for the 'children'???

and by me they average over 75k a year for 180 days of work

5 minutes ago, dbcaptiron said:

Perhaps because higher pay for teachers can attract better candidates, and thereby elevate the education being provided to the children.

• Thanks 1

Just now, dbcaptiron said:

plus bennies....plus collecting a free check all summer.....

not bad work......even tho they do actually work 'full days' (the good ones anyways) as some do not even believe...

I dont believe they get paid for the summer as they are 10 month employees. But 77k is the average with some teachers making over 100k for a half a years worth of work. I understand that its not easy but your off all summer every holiday every weekend. 

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

I dont believe they get paid for the summer as they are 10 month employees. But 77k is the average with some teachers making over 100k for a half a years worth of work. I understand that its not easy but your off all summer every holiday every weekend. 

They have a choice to take their pay over 10 or 12 months.

Just now, maxchoboian said:

Perhaps because higher pay for teachers can attract better candidates, and thereby elevate the education being provided to the children.

sounds good on paper....but in reality, when there is already a waiting list, and too many 'teaching majors' being pumped out of those universities...well

It's not an issue to hired qualified talented people at this price point....BS to think otherwise...but 'sure sounds good' as if it really is for the kids...

4 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Forget the pay, the pensions alone are breaking our backs.

ding ding 

but really more so the underfunding and kicking the can down the road by politicians.... than the initial commitments....

Gov owns the schools....gov steals from their own stashes....then blames those same teachers...not exactly fair...but the 'salaries' are certainly fair within today's marketplace...(and I think teachers 'should' be paid a little more than most jobs)

4 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

To get a teaching job in NJ, NY, PA (I am sure other places) you have to know someone or blow someone. The jobs are that desirably. 

Increased pay is not needed to get better teachers. A shake up of hiring and firing is needed. 

Where I am, all the new houses on the hill, 45 miles to Manhattan are owned by public workers.

It's a joke here as we all know the only folks who can afford the new Mansions are fireman, teachers and cops. 

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

probably defined by each state....

In this state all the teachers 'did' get unemployment for their summers (with many even picking up off the books part time stuff as well)....so unless things have changed recently...

2 minutes ago, dbcaptiron said:

probably defined by each state....

In this state all the teachers 'did' get unemployment for their summers (with many even picking up off the books part time stuff as well)....so unless things have changed recently...

I know a lot of teachers tutor and such to get thru the summer. You might get the option to spread your pay over 12 months depending on the district. Obv if you could thats the way to go to make sure the checks keep on coming.  But trust me while working in a school district and being around teachers my whole life at least the ones I come across are not happy. So it doesnt matter what the pay is or their benefits or the days off. They hate the job and everyday they look forward to the weekend or the breaks

3 minutes ago, noonereal said:

To get a teaching job in NJ, NY, PA (I am sure other places) you have to know someone or blow someone. The jobs are that desirably. 

Increased pay is not needed to get better teachers. A shake up of hiring and firing is needed. 

Where I am, all the new houses on the hill, 45 miles to Manhattan are owned by public workers.

It's a joke here as we all know the only folks who can afford the new Mansions are fireman, teachers and cops. 

Spot on....too funny that you can talk normal...when the subject doesn't revolve around your favorite duck...

13 minutes ago, dbcaptiron said:

sounds good on paper....but in reality, when there is already a waiting list, and too many 'teaching majors' being pumped out of those universities...well

It's not an issue to hired qualified talented people at this price point....BS to think otherwise...but 'sure sounds good' as if it really is for the kids...

No waiting list here. $46K/year makes rent/buy options pretty limited. Teachers don't live "on the hill" here. Locally, they are looking for teachers, in a state with a top 5 educated populace in the country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

I know a lot of teachers tutor and such to get thru the summer. You might get the option to spread your pay over 12 months depending on the district. Obv if you could thats the way to go to make sure the checks keep on coming. 

no.... you take it in 10 and collect for the rest

1 minute ago, dbcaptiron said:

no.... you take it in 10 and collect 

Sounds good. But trust me while working in a school district and being around teachers my whole life at least the ones I come across are not happy. So it doesnt matter what the pay is or their benefits or the days off. They hate the job and everyday they look forward to the weekend or the breaks

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

But trust me while working in a school district and being around teachers my whole life at least the ones I come across are not happy. So it doesnt matter what the pay is or their benefits or the days off.

Everyone bitches about their job. 

Some are even stupid enough to quit because they feel so oppressed. 

I could tell you stories... you literally would never believe. 

Bottom line, humans a failed species.