Florida reducing to 6 divisions tweet

Las Vegas_JC

1 minute ago, 181pl said:

And district tournaments are just stupid for baseball. I've seen some years when a team goes 18-3, 20-2, etc, and dominate their district, but if they have one bad game they are out of the playoffs. Not like the NCAA b-ball tournament, when that team is going to get in anyway. 

It's the same across the board

And i don't like it the way they do it with NCAA basketball, your basically telling teams you can go half ass the tournament and your still in because you did good in regular season 

If you ain't on your toes your out of luck,  i have no problem with it

Just now, 181pl said:

Football

Don't know how the numbers would shake out, but I'd think it would be something around this estimate:

Division 6 (smallest)- I would say public schools under 350 and private schools under 200.

Division 5- Public schools under 600, private schools under 350.

Division 4- Public schools under 950, private schools under 550.

Division 3- Public schools under 1400, private schools under 800.

Division 2- Public schools under 2200, private schools under 1100

Division 1- Public schools over 2200, any private school larger than 1101.

Actually i think they trying to do away with enrollment as the main decider for classes, at least it seems like it

Just now, Columbiafan said:

Actually i think they trying to do away with enrollment as the main decider for classes, at least it seems like it

Then why have divisions. It's high school football and there are 500 public schools playing in FLA. No other way to do it other than enrollment. If it's anything other than enrollment, we have serious issues with the fools placed in charge of this stuff. Unless you are going to do enrollment plus and "open division" that you'd either volunteer for or would be placed into based on recent playoff success.

Just now, 181pl said:

Cheapens the regular season too much. Should just have 10 exhibition games and then a tournament if that is the mentality. 

The goal is to win a state title, if a teams goal is just to pile up regular season wins then i see why they get knocked out early in the tournament 

Regular season is simply preparing for the post season 

2 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Then why have divisions. It's high school football and there are 500 public schools playing in FLA. No other way to do it other than enrollment. If it's anything other than enrollment, we have serious issues with the fools placed in charge of this stuff. Unless you are going to do enrollment plus and "open division" that you'd either volunteer for or would be placed into based on recent playoff success.

They were considering taking a average maxpreps ranking over 2 year periods to build up the classes 

But board of directors weren't keen on using maxpreps but they may use something else to fill it out 

6 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Enrollment doesn't always lead to balance in classes

If it did a team like Ferguson with over 4k would be competitive but they probably wouldn't even beat Madison County with around 600 enrollment 

Year-in and year-out it is much harder for a school with a smaller enrollment to compete with a school that has a large enrollment. Of course there are exceptions and it depends on how the program is built. But as a general rule a public school with 2,500 kids is usually going to beat the public school with five or six hundred kids pretty handily

51 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

Not going with enrollment is terrible. Not to mention, wouldn't that just push all the weak teams into the lower brackets and allow a bunch of undeserving teams the shot for a title?

Yes but people complain about playoffs and championships being blowouts but the main reason it keeps happening is because enrollment doesn't translate to talent

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

Not like the NCAA b-ball tournament, when that team is going to get in anyway. 

Well, kind of. At least for the power conferences. The regular season champ from the smaller conferences get screwed like that, though. 

I hate seeing a team that played their asses off during the regular season then get screwed because their star player misses a game or two during the conference tourney and some team with a sub par (or losing) record sneaks in to the Big Dance. 

8 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Well, kind of. At least for the power conferences. The regular season champ from the smaller conferences get screwed like that, though. 

I hate seeing a team that played their asses off during the regular season then get screwed because their star player misses a game or two during the conference tourney and some team with a sub par (or losing) record sneaks in to the Big Dance. 

Sad fact is the NCAA makes millions off that tournament every year and they will vote in the power programs for ratings even if they aren't better than teams they leave out

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

Yes but people complain about playoffs and championships being blowouts but the main reason it keeps happening is because enrollment doesn't translate to talent

I'm all for competition, but what is the incentive for putting in the amount of work necessary if you are a small school in that situation?