Florida reducing to 6 divisions tweet

Las Vegas_JC

8 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

FloridaHSfootball.com tweeting that the FHSAA is talking about this possibility. Sounds great!

A6770C63-B998-4E29-9262-A1BC37A22EB5.png

Many team sports in Florida already have no more than 6 classifications. It is Football and Basketball that has classification overload. So, not sure whether the tweet above will impact football. 

Just now, Columbiafan said:

Baseball and softball are 9 classifications as well

Sure, but soccer, track, lacrosse, etc., etc. don't. It depends on the number of schools participating and the nature of the sport that drives the number of classifications. While I would like to see a reduction in the number for football, count me a skeptic till I see it happen.

I have been saying it for years that's its way too watered down.

and the only reason it's watered down is greed from the FHSAA because they get big chunks of playoff gate guarantees. So if there is more classes that means there are more playoff games which means the higher ups can trade in those old Pavati AL24's and get the newer AL26 models 😂

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Nolebull813 said:

I have been saying it for years that's its way too watered down.

and the only reason it's watered down is greed from the FHSAA because they get big chunks of playoff gate guarantees. So if there is more classes that means there are more playoff games which means the higher ups can trade in those old Pavati AL24's and get the newer AL26 models 😂

If that were the case they would have given every sport 9 classes

4 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

They can't be too blatant with it. And some other sports are too watered down as well. 

Yeah but in sports like basketball/baseball/softball/soccer

We don't need districts of 7 or 8 teams 

A 4 team District takes 2-3 days to go through the entire District tournament, so if you have a bad weather day it becomes 4 days so you push the window to compete the games in a week to a very tight window so them having smaller districts actually makes sense 

55 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Now for sports like football it makes sense to get Lower number of classes because football doesn't have district tournament to worry about 

Are district tournaments really necessary, though? They kind of negate the whole purpose of the regular season district games. Yes, I know they do give seeding. But in a very competitive district, you could possibly finish last and still emerge into the regional tournament based on the district tournament. I am not sure I like that. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Are district tournaments really necessary, though? They kind of negate the whole purpose of the regular season district games. Yes, I know they do give seeding. But in a very competitive district, you could possibly finish last and still emerge into the regional tournament based on the district tournament. I am not sure I like that. 

I like them because it makes things interesting and makes things unpredictable 

Plus some teams are forced to play district games early and aren't the same teams in those games that they are the time the tourney rolls around 

34 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

And they are talking about possibly using the rankings provided by Maxpreps for setting up the brackets.

Florida currently has 8 classifications so if it gets squeezed down to 6 divisions which current classifications could be or should be affected? 

2C4C8E48-76B7-43F4-9EF1-0ED9A46B2A69.png

It would be all of them because using that it would disregard enrollment completely so a school of 4k could get grouped with a school of 400 

12 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

It would be all of them because using that it would disregard enrollment completely so a school of 4k could get grouped with a school of 400 

Tweets can give you a sneak preview of what is being discussed but I'm still waiting for an article to be posted online which would clarify what the FHSAA is planning to do.  

4 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

And they are talking about possibly using the rankings provided by Maxpreps for setting up the brackets.

Florida currently has 8 classifications so if it gets squeezed down to 6 divisions which current classifications could be or should be affected? 

2C4C8E48-76B7-43F4-9EF1-0ED9A46B2A69.png

They would be better off letting our board rank the teams.

Maxpreps is a joke and littered with inaccuracies.

Hey @GardenStateBaller, I think I discovered a new opportunity that we should capitalize on.

• Like 1

Just now, CCBlackhatter said:

They would be better off letting our board rank the teams.

Maxpreps is a joke and littered with inaccuracies.

Hey @GardenStateBaller, I think I discovered a new opportunity that we should capitalize on.

Well if someone were to rank every team in FL then maybe they won't need maxpreps 

Also from what I read the board of directors weren't keen on using maxpreps rankings either

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

Bout freaking time!!

Hey! Two Florida teams beat State Champ DeLaSalle the same years DLS ran the "toughest bracket in America" 

And in those same years, the Florida teams got blasted out of their watered down playoffs. 

Things that make you go hmmmmm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Hey! Two Florida teams beat State Champ DeLaSalle the same years DLS ran the "toughest bracket in America" 

And in those same years, the Florida teams got blasted out of their watered down playoffs. 

Things that make you go hmmmmm

We all know that Houston was not the starter to start the year. IF he had been and DLS did not have some key injuries coming into that game, STA would have gotten BEAT DOWN!! NORCAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long frickin over due. 8 is too many. Hell in some sports they are going to 9A. Yet sports like wrestling have only 3 classes. Flag football 2 classes, etc. I would think that for a highly competitive contact sport like football, 6 is about the right number.

AND NO MORE PANDERING TO MIAMI SCHOOLS!! PLAY IN THE CLASS WHERE YOUR FRICKIN NUMBERS PUT YOU.

And district tournaments are just stupid for baseball. I've seen some years when a team goes 18-3, 20-2, etc, and dominate their district, but if they have one bad game they are out of the playoffs. Not like the NCAA b-ball tournament, when that team is going to get in anyway. 

4 minutes ago, 181pl said:

Long frickin over due. 8 is too many. Hell in some sports they are going to 9A. Yet sports like wrestling have only 3 classes. Flag football 2 classes, etc. I would think that for a highly competitive contact sport like football, 6 is about the right number.

AND NO MORE PANDERING TO MIAMI SCHOOLS!! PLAY IN THE CLASS WHERE YOUR FRICKIN NUMBERS PUT YOU.

I agree 

Football should be 6

However the sports that have district tournaments i have no problem with them having more classes because it's a chore to get through some of those tournaments within the time frame the state gives without holding up the playoffs

Football should go to less but the others are fine 

Football

Don't know how the numbers would shake out, but I'd think it would be something around this estimate:

Division 6 (smallest)- I would say public schools under 350 and private schools under 200.

Division 5- Public schools under 600, private schools under 350.

Division 4- Public schools under 950, private schools under 550.

Division 3- Public schools under 1400, private schools under 800.

Division 2- Public schools under 2200, private schools under 1100

Division 1- Public schools over 2200, any private school larger than 1101.