The Wekiva Mustangs Spring Game

DarterBlue

This game was played at West Orange as I am guessing Wekiva's field is not currently game ready (I could be wrong). 

First a grouse on my part. West Orange charged $5 to park for a spring game. A spring game, sheesh ... I told the adult collecting with the kids I was not going to pay $5 as that is outrageous. After all, it's mostly poor people pickeney that go to West Orange. So I ended up parking at a strip mall on West Colonial and walking the 1.1 miles each way. Now to be fair, I am not sure how the gate for the game was split and I don't begrudge West Orange recouping some money from parking. However, no team in the Orlando area except Osceola charges $5 for parking for regular season games, let alone a spring game. I was just not going to pay it based on philosophical grounds!

The game: Wekiva ended up winning 24-7. However, it was closer than that in my opinion. Edgewater got on the board first when in their first series, being 3 and 25 from their own 10, their QB unleashed a bomb that was hauled in in stride at the Wekiva 40 and taken untouched into the end zone for a 90 yard score. Wekiva tied the game on its next series when Sean Robles, formerly of Apopka, threw a 30+ yard pass from Wekiva's 20 that was hauled in by the receiver on the right sidelines who took it down the sidelines for an 80 yard score. Game tied with about 7:50 left in the first quarter. Wekiva proceeded to score another touchdown and a field goal before halftime. Edgewater's secondary just failed twice to intercept Robles both times dropping the interception after appearing to haul them in. To be fair they were difficult plays, but still .. In the third quarter Wekiva scored again to make the game 24-7. Just before the end of the third, Edgewater finally intercepted Robles at about the Edgewater 35 and the DB took it to the house from there. Unfortunately, the ball came back to the 50 yard line as Edgewater was assessed a personal foul on the play after the interception. Edgewater failed to move the ball from there turning it over on downs. The fourth quarter was played by mostly backups of both teams. 

Assessment:  Wekiva is currently nationally ranked by at least one service that has them in the top 25 nationally. They aren't nearly that good at this point. Having said that, the defense is still special, particularly the front 7 and specifically the defensive interior. One reason Edgewater did not have much success was they kept trying to run the ball down the middle on Wekiva. Not many high schools will get very far doing that. On offense, Robles has improved some. For one thing his arm is quite a bit stronger. For another, although he will never be a runner, he has gotten more elusive in the pocket and kept some plays alive with this new talent. On a negative note, his accuracy needs to improve. Most of Wekiva's offensive yardage was through the air as Edgewater's run defense was pretty solid all night. 

Wekiva should be a live threat to win its district again and I expect a battle royal between them, Apopka and West Orange for the honors. Edgewater plays in what has historically been a weak 7AA district. I expect they will once again contend for that district title. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

This game was played at West Orange as I am guessing Wekiva's field is not currently game ready (I could be wrong). 

First a grouse on my part. West Orange charged $5 to park for a spring game. A spring game, sheesh ... I told the adult collecting with the kids I was not going to pay $5 as that is outrageous. After all, it's mostly poor people pickeney that go to West Orange. So I ended up parking at a strip mall on West Colonial and walking the 1.1 miles each way. Now to be fair, I am not sure how the gate for the game was split and I don't begrudge West Orange recouping some money from parking. However, no team in the Orlando area except Osceola charges $5 for parking for regular season games, let alone a spring game. I was just not going to pay it based on philosophical grounds!

The game: Wekiva ended up winning 24-7. However, it was closer than that in my opinion. Edgewater got on the board first when in their first series, being 3 and 25 from their own 10, their QB unleashed a bomb that was hauled in in stride at the Wekiva 40 and taken untouched into the end zone for a 90 yard score. Wekiva tied the game on its next series when Sean Robles, formerly of Apopka, threw a 30+ yard pass from Wekiva's 20 that was hauled in by the receiver on the right sidelines who took it down the sidelines for an 80 yard score. Game tied with about 7:50 left in the first quarter. Wekiva proceeded to score another touchdown and a field goal before halftime. Edgewater's secondary just failed twice to intercept Robles both times dropping the interception after appearing to haul them in. To be fair they were difficult plays, but still .. In the third quarter Wekiva scored again to make the game 24-7. Just before the end of the third, Edgewater finally intercepted Robles at about the Edgewater 35 and the DB took it to the house from there. Unfortunately, the ball came back to the 50 yard line as Edgewater was assessed a personal foul on the play after the interception. Edgewater failed to move the ball from there turning it over on downs. The fourth quarter was played by mostly backups of both teams. 

Assessment:  Wekiva is currently nationally ranked by at least one service that has them in the top 25 nationally. They aren't nearly that good at this point. Having said that, the defense is still special, particularly the front 7 and specifically the defensive interior. One reason Edgewater did not have much success was they kept trying to run the ball down the middle on Wekiva. Not many high schools will get very far doing that. On offense, Robles has improved some. For one thing his arm is quite a bit stronger. For another, although he will never be a runner, he has gotten more elusive in the pocket and kept some plays alive with this new talent. On a negative note, his accuracy needs to improve. Most of Wekiva's offensive yardage was through the air as Edgewater's run defense was pretty solid all night. 

Wekiva should be a live threat to win its district again and I expect a battle royal between them, Apopka and West Orange for the honors. Edgewater plays in what has historically been a weak 7AA district. I expect they will once again contend for that district title. 

Safe to say Edgewater will probably be only team in their district to make regionals? 

Is Edgewater at the level of the top teams in 7a region 1 or probably a byproduct of weak District? 

Also where would you rank wekiva in the state at this stage? 

3 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Safe to say Edgewater will probably be only team in their district to make regionals? 

Is Edgewater at the level of the top teams in 7a region 1 or probably a byproduct of weak District? 

Also where would you rank wekiva in the state at this stage? 

1. Probably unless one of the other teams in Edgewater's district ends up being significantly better than they have been recently. Hagerty, which I saw play last week, did not look the part. 

2. Hard to say. They have some talent and are well coached. They should be as good as they were last year at a minimum. 

3. Probably mid top 25 in the State of Florida (12 through 15). Certainly not top 25 nationally. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Wekiva has some big time talent. Calpreps has them 4th in FL.

If talent has anything to do with it they will be able to hang with North Gwinnett.

Early season games though.

8 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Wekiva has some big time talent. Calpreps has them 4th in FL.

If talent has anything to do with it they will be able to hang with North Gwinnett.

Early season games though.

They looked good. Just not elite good. I don't question that they have talent. Nor do I question the fact that they have a good, veteran coaching staff.

At this stage, though, they just seem to be missing something. They may improve as the season is a ways off!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Yall pay for parking... damn... 

41 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Yall pay for parking... damn... 

At some schools you park free; at others if you are willing to walk at least 400 meters it's free; at some you pay anything from $2 to $5. However, this is the first time I have ever seen a school charge for parking at a spring game in the Orlando area. And to charge $5 which only Osceola charges that much in the regular season is just straight up BS. 

On 5/23/2018 at 10:59 PM, DarterBlue said:

They looked good. Just not elite good. I don't question that they have talent. Nor do I question the fact that they have a good, veteran coaching staff.

At this stage, though, they just seem to be missing something. They may improve as the season is a ways off!

I do think some people are jumping the gun with ranking wekiva as high as they are

Between 10-15 seems about right and probably where i was going to put them 

I'm not buying the hype or the calpreps ranking quite yet 

They have talent but have way more to prove before i put them top 5 in the state 

• Like 1