Height and life

ChimpGrip

Time for my first ever “complaining” thread.

Do you think being short (5’8”) puts you at a disadvantage in the world?

It seems it is more advantageous to be tall. 

In sports, it seems it’s also a major advantage to be tall. Most great tennis players, golfers, football players are all 5’10” (average) or better. 

In fighting, you have a major hurdle to overcome if the guy is taller ( a greater reach).  

Further, height will play some kind of role in the dating life. I’ve had women ask me this before through messaging. Subconscious prejudice maybe?  

Even in strongman, one of my favorite sports and hopefully future hobby. All of the best and freakiest guys are 6’3” or better. At both the professional and amateur levels. The super short guys are 5’9”-still an inch taller than I am. The “smaller” guy to win it was 6’1”.

Height goes in the world of intellectuals also. Tesla, Einstein, and my favorite, Robert Oppenheimer, were all at least 5’10”.

People seem more impressed by you when you’re tall. I study people’s reactions as they meet new people and this holds true almost every time. 

My two favorite businessmen, Elon Musk, and Kevin O’Leary are both 5’10” or better. 

There are always exceptions. People like Jeff Bezos (founder of Amazon), Nick Saban (greatest college coach ever), some famous actors here and there, and some athletes such as Drew Brees. But these are extraordinary people. Some of them are once in a generation-type individuals. 

Even current and former presidents are tall. Trump is 6’3” and Obama is 6’1”. 

What made me start this was a dinner last night at a convention center. My granddad’s business hosted it and we raised money for local school groups and veterans. When going through the food line, I was short compared to most of the men there. I hate standing next to really tall men in such a situation. I wanted to put my fist through the table. 

Anyways, being short can create a feeling of inferiority. Especially when attractive females are around. Between me and my three best friends, I’m the shortest. Most of my male acquaintances at school are taller as well. Even my brother’s friends are taller than I am. Brother and father are both taller as well. The only male I’m taller than in my family is my dim cousin. How pathetic. 

I see it as more of a curse than a blessing. Calling it a blessing is a joke, because it’s anything but that. 

Whining and crying done. Carry on. 

30 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

In sports, it seems it’s also a major advantage to be tall. Most great tennis players, golfers, football players are all 5’10” (average) or better. 

In fighting, you have a major hurdle to overcome if the guy is taller ( a greater reach).  

Further, height will play some kind of role in the dating life. I’ve had women ask me this before through messaging. Subconscious prejudice maybe?  

Even in strongman, one of my favorite sports and hopefully future hobby. All of the best and freakiest guys are 6’3” or better. At both the professional and amateur levels. The super short guys are 5’9”-still an inch taller than I am. The “smaller” guy to win it was 6’1”.

Height goes in the world of intellectuals also. Tesla, Einstein, and my favorite, Robert Oppenheimer, were all at least 5’10”.

People seem more impressed by you when you’re tall. I study people’s reactions as they meet new people and this holds true almost every time. 

My two favorite businessmen, Elon Musk, and Kevin O’Leary are both 5’10” or better. 

There are always exceptions. People like Jeff Bezos (founder of Amazon), Nick Saban (greatest college coach ever), some famous actors here and there, and some athletes such as Drew Brees. But these are extraordinary people. Some of them are once in a generation-type individuals. 

What made me start this was a dinner last night at a convention center. My granddad’s business hosted it and we raised money for local school groups and veterans. When going through the food line, I was short compared to most of the men there. I hate standing next to really tall men in such a situation. I wanted to put my fist through the table. 

Anyways, being short can create a feeling of inferiority. Especially when attractive females are around. Between me and my three best friends, I’m the shortest. Most of my male acquaintances at school are taller as well. Even my brother’s friends are taller than I am. Brother and father are both taller as well. The only male I’m taller than in my family is my dim cousin. How pathetic. 

I see it as more of a curse than a blessing. Calling it a blessing is a joke, because it’s anything but that. 

It's not the height of the man that matters, it's what's between his ears and in his heart.    

46 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

In some things it's a perception disadvantage. In others, it's a real physical disadvantage. Although I am 6ft myself, one of the reasons I like soccer so much is that it's still a relatively democratic sport. On the other hand, if you are not well over 6ft, it's very hard to play basketball at a very high level.

In the world of business, taller individuals typically get more respect. However, this can be overcome, if you bring other talents, people skills, analytical skills, communications skills to the table. Don't sweat it too much, man. You were born with what you were born with. Just make the best of the talents you have. 

6 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

If it counts for anything Asians are shorter on average so when you go to Tokyo you will not feel short. 

You hang out on a basketball court you will feel short. 

Perspective 

I just want to be a big guy. Every young guy around my age (24) seems to be taller. And this includes teenagers. 

It is perspective, you’re right about that. But these are very specific areas (e.g., Tokyo, an NBA Court) and you can pick and choose what “average” you want to be around (average height, that is). Whereas the general public, it’s a total mix. And you then see evidence of the average (5’10”). 

I just got back from the grocery store, and since I’ve been stuck on this, i was not comfortable in my own skin. I felt low to the ground. Male after male was taller. PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!

I understand that there is nothing I can really do, but it’s a hard pill to swallow. Being short (a short male) is a status disability. 

5 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

In some things it's a perception disadvantage. In others, it's a real physical disadvantage. Although I am 6ft myself, one of the reasons I like soccer so much is that it's still a relatively democratic sport. On the other hand, if you are not well over 6ft, it's very hard to play basketball at a very high level.

In the world of business, taller individuals typically get more respect. However, this can be overcome, if you bring other talents, people skills, analytical skills, communications skills to the table. Don't sweat it too much, man. You were born with what you were born with. Just make the best of the talents you have. 

And there we are again. Respect. Taller people can do more, and have a better shot in sports (all else being equal). 

Yes, I was born a talentless hack who can’t figure shit out. 

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

And there we are again. Respect. Taller people can do more, and have a better shot in sports (all else being equal). 

Yes, I was born a talentless hack who can’t figure shit out

I am pretty sure you have talents. You may not be able to fulfill all the dreams you may have had as a kid. But that does not mean you can't be successful. Just identify the things you do well and figure out which of those things you like the best, then focus on them. 

However, if you go around feeling sorry for yourself, then it's kind of hard to get past first base. The first step is: you have got to be positive. I am sure life did not throw you all lemons. And even if it did, there is still lemonade which on a hot summer day is delicious!