sjr recap

SJR89

was able to watch the replay...,missed a good portion of the live game.  besides being a brutally sloppy game by both teams.  3 plays changed the outcome of this game. 

1.     3rd and goal on AHP 2 yard line after a time out, on QB sneak TD..get called for motion.  that cannot happen...up 10-0 would have hurt AHP

2.     2 & 30 for AHP and blown coverage for a 70 yard TD.  momentum was all SJR at that point 

3.      Alaimo intentional grounding penalty....

overall, SJR looked really sloppy on offense, O-line not holding blocks on passing downs,  Alaimo missed on several throws, undisciplined ball.  They got a lot to clean up this week.  

19 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I agree. At least the line play adjustments you think would have happened 

Auggie or no Auggie with the amount of penalties that AHP committed SJR should have been able to win this game. An anemic offense is what caused this loss. An offense that deserted them late last season did not show any life on Saturday. First game jitters and new personnel at key positions definitely play their part but to me I just wish SJR as a program would attempt to get more dynamic on the offensive side of the ball. They used to almost always win the close defensive battles and now they have been coming up short the last couple of years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickeybern said:

Auggie or no Auggie with the amount of penalties that AHP committed SJR should have been able to win this game. An anemic offense is what caused this loss. An offense that deserted them late last season did not show any life on Saturday. First game jitters and new personnel at key positions definitely play their part but to me I just wish SJR as a program would attempt to get more dynamic on the offensive side of the ball. They used to almost always win the close defensive battles and now they have been coming up short the last couple of years.

I went to the intrasquad game. The defense was certainly ahead of the offense outside some big plays. I agree you think with the big boys up front they would open it up a bit more than what they are doing. I just dont know if alaimo is the answer at qb. Well see as the season goes on but it doesnt get easier. Bc dbp DePaul will be tough games. I'm not sure who else sjr has in terms of oos games. And we still havent seen spp play anyone of relevance. 

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I went to the intrasquad game. The defense was certainly ahead of the offense outside some big plays. I agree you think with the big boys up front they would open it up a bit more than what they are doing. I just dont know if alaimo is the answer at qb. Well see as the season goes on but it doesnt get easier. Bc dbp DePaul will be tough games. I'm not sure who else sjr has in terms of oos games. And we still havent seen spp play anyone of relevance. 

I don't know, SJR has a tough reputation and in the end will always be there but I have to admit I rarely have seen an SJR game where I was like man what beautiful team watch. It is a in the trenches, get physical and wear them down slugfest which has benefited them over the years. Whether that is enough now and going forward remains to be seen. SPP,DPC & BC are just more dynamic on offense both in talent and play calling. Even great defenses give up points eventually.

10 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

I don't know, SJR has a tough reputation and in the end will always be there but I have to admit I rarely have seen an SJR game where I was like man what beautiful team watch. It is a in the trenches, get physical and wear them down slugfest which has benefited them over the years. Whether that is enough now and going forward remains to be seen. SPP,DPC & BC are just more dynamic on offense both in talent and play calling. Even great defenses give up points eventually.

When you look at football across all levels from high school and up the days of leaning on your offensive line to grind the ball and wear out your opponent are pretty much done. Even the teams that have a great ground game Georgia alabama Washington etc etc all need gunslingers as well. Why do u think their is all thos controversary at alabama. 5-10 years ago jalen would have been perfect. Dont turn the ball over pound the rock and win. Now hes being passed by by tua who can sling the ball around the field. Bosco was very good at the old school way pound the rock have a qb that doesnt turn the ball over grind down the opponent and win. Now they need a qb who can throw the ball all over the field. I can go on and on but u get the point. 

42 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

i would say SJR has been more dynamic that last couple of years in passing the ball etc...I think the issue is can Alaimo make the reads and throws and keep his composure.  granted his first start and he was not helped by his o line in pass blocking...but your not playing at Pascack Hills your a QB in an elite program....much is expected.  

the biggest play in this game was the roughing the kicker call in end zone on 4th and 40 and the ball returned to the AHP 29 with 4 mins left in 17-17 game.... and I was told in high school its not a automatic first down... which they got..  That was Huge game changing play...

I think 2 players for SJR that will be pivotal on the BC-SJR game will be Cross & Grieco. Grieco plays safety right? Boel doesn't have a strong arm but is accurate. BC used the middle of the field a lot vs. Grayson and DeVera is his favorite target. If Grieco plays tough over the middle and Cross can get pressure on Boel (which Grayson did not do a lot of) then I can see Bergen having problems. SJR just has a lot of weapons on D

8 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

I think 2 players for SJR that will be pivotal on the BC-SJR game will be Cross & Grieco. Grieco plays safety right? Boel doesn't have a strong arm but is accurate. BC used the middle of the field a lot vs. Grayson and DeVera is his favorite target. If Grieco plays tough over the middle and Cross can get pressure on Boel (which Grayson did not do a lot of) then I can see Bergen having problems. SJR just has a lot of weapons on D

You can counter cross and roll out to the opposite side of the field esp if greico is playing the same side of the field. 

3 hours ago, BCMAN said:

the biggest play in this game was the roughing the kicker call in end zone on 4th and 40 and the ball returned to the AHP 29 with 4 mins left in 17-17 game.... and I was told in high school its not a automatic first down... which they got..  That was Huge game changing play...

There were a ton of game changers by the refs.   Prior to that they were held to a 3 and out and momentum was going to AHP and a weak PI was called.   SJR went to score a TD.   Refs were worse on AHP.   You say 4th and 40 and get mad at a penalty the other way lol.  

5 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

If they would have kept Dan nastasi to run the offense they would have been dynamic he was nunzio right hand guy however opted to let Stern run the offense. Bad route concepts and a run heavy offense 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SJR89 said:

was able to watch the replay...,missed a good portion of the live game.  besides being a brutally sloppy game by both teams.  3 plays changed the outcome of this game. 

1.     3rd and goal on AHP 2 yard line after a time out, on QB sneak TD..get called for motion.  that cannot happen...up 10-0 would have hurt AHP

2.     2 & 30 for AHP and blown coverage for a 70 yard TD.  momentum was all SJR at that point 

3.      Alaimo intentional grounding penalty....

overall, SJR looked really sloppy on offense, O-line not holding blocks on passing downs,  Alaimo missed on several throws, undisciplined ball.  They got a lot to clean up this week.  

I made a post in another thread with more detail....but my point was that I think people are jumping to  negative conclusions about this SJR team.   Their lines looked very good to me - I saw a ton of talent & potential (possibly more than any other year).  They had a poor game.... new QB, missing Auggie etc.  I'm not discrediting the other team - the fact they were able to play the run like they did was impressive and I think it took the SJR coaching staff by surprise .  One thing I noticed - it seemed the other team was all sophs and juniors??....if that is true I give tremendous respect to their defense because playing the SJR run that tough is something most teams would not be able to do.  You could see them wearing down as the game went on....they took a couple injuries from the physical play and depth of Joe's but nonetheless stood strong and met the smash mouth head on so major props if they are as young as it seemed

With Auggie there I think they win - and if they stay healthy I'm calling them over BC (as a BC fan) ....even though I feel BC should be ranked clear cut #1 at this point of course.  

• Like 1