Lakeland 37, @ Apopka 20 F

badrouter

Just heard Lakeland was without two starting O-Lineman, including one time Alabama commit D. Hammond. And the new QB is just starting to get settled after hamstring issues and lack of practice. Apopka was without a star RB/WR and apparently a couple other guys got hurt at some point as well. 

Will look forward to reading multiple accounts from those who attended the game, both Apopka fans and Lakeland fans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frosty4024 said:

Are they (Lakeland) back???

They never really went anywhere. They've just not played OOS, which is really the only thing most on the national scene care about. If national recognition is the goal, you're better off playing ANY slapdick from a state other than your own, no matter what your state is. Or, at a minimum, need to work with promoters for a TV game. If you just play in state and not on TV then nobody on a forum like this pays any attention.

Lakeland also lost in the playoffs before the state title game a bunch. Usually in close games they probably should've won against the 2nd or 3rd best teams in 7A. They've choked for sure, so they haven't earned the right to start the season ranked super high. But, fact is, they are WAY more talented than half of the top 100 in calpreps or Whiteshoes rankings. 

If they keep their key players healthy and the offense gets in more of a rhythm with the new QB, I have no problem saying I think they'll match up just fine with STA. The defense can keep the STA offense in check. And then Bowman will be good for 2-3 TDs no matter what STA defense does. It should be STA-Lakeland for 7A (IMO, Columbia's spread attack matches up poorly), and it should be a good football game.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, badrouter said:

They never really went anywhere. They've just not played OOS, which is really the only thing most on the national scene care about. If national recognition is the goal, you're better off playing ANY slapdick from a state other than your own, no matter what your state is. Or, at a minimum, need to work with promoters for a TV game. If you just play in state and not on TV then nobody on a forum like this pays any attention.

Lakeland also lost in the playoffs before the state title game a bunch. Usually in close games they probably should've won against the 2nd or 3rd best teams in 7A. They've choked for sure, so they haven't earned the right to start the season ranked super high. But, fact is, they are WAY more talented than half of the top 100 in calpreps or Whiteshoes rankings. 

If they keep their key players healthy and the offense gets in more of a rhythm with the new QB, I have no problem saying I think they'll match up just fine with STA. The defense can keep the STA offense in check. And then Bowman will be good for 2-3 TDs no matter what STA defense does. It should be STA-Lakeland for 7A (IMO, Columbia's spread attack matches up poorly), and it should be a good football game.

Don't underestimate those Colombia skill players though.   They can make things happen.  7A will be very interesting this year. 

On 9/8/2018 at 11:05 PM, 954gator said:

@badrouter  By the way what's up with Lakeland and their uniforms?   Am I the only one that likes the classic uniforms better?   These newer uniforms just aren't as intimidating.    Maybe it's just me.  

the black and orange ones weren't bad, but the grey ones and these?  Not a fan.   

I agree. Sometimes the new trendy stuff just isn't as good. I like the all black and then black or white tops and orange pants. Grey ones definitely aren't as good. But I think they are free as Champion supplies them trying to get into the uniform game.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 12:28 PM, badrouter said:

Yeah, Lakeland looks stout this season. The little bit I've seen of them is more impressive than a lot of the teams ranked above them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Yeah, Lakeland looks stout this season. The little bit I've seen of them is more impressive than a lot of the teams ranked above them.

Agreed.  I also think Columbia has the pieces to make noise as well.   

On 9/7/2018 at 11:27 PM, badrouter said:

Just heard Lakeland was without two starting O-Lineman, including one time Alabama commit D. Hammond. And the new QB is just starting to get settled after hamstring issues and lack of practice. Apopka was without a star RB/WR and apparently a couple other guys got hurt at some point as well. 

Will look forward to reading multiple accounts from those who attended the game, both Apopka fans and Lakeland fans.

What's the status on Hammond and that other OL.   Not a serious injury I hope?

No clue on their status. I assume if it were serious, we'd hear something. They'd certainly need those guys to try to forge a draw or near draw with STA's front. If STA's front gets the better of the OL (likely) but only slightly, Bowman can still grind out the yards and maybe break one or two big ones. Which would be needed because I think Lakeland's passing game can only hit a few balls sparingly against the STA D. Maybe a couple RPO's and PAs off of stretch. They'd mostly have to ride Bowman and the defense to win.  

Have to see more of Columbia. Not sure about their defense. I think Lakeland matches up well with their offense with the super fast DL and Fenley Graham at CB. I sense it would be a little like the Apoka game (yes, totally different style of play) where they hit a couple big plays but most every other play is a loss or no gain. But, who knows? Columbia throws it around a lot. I do know that I watch every single football game HS, college and pro waiting in fear for PI or roughing the passer calls. The old Darrel Royal quote about there being only three things that can happen when you pass is badly outdated. There are five: Completion, Incompletion, Interception...Pass Interference and/or targeting and Roughing the Passer and/or targeting. I suppose you could say six things when you consider you can get a player ejected from the game. lol

I have noticed that one star DB transfer for Lakeland who'd been with the team all spring and summer isn't on the roster. He's still on the hudl page. If he's not on the team, the secondary is down a notch from where I anticipated.

4 minutes ago, badrouter said:

No clue on their status. I assume if it were serious, we'd hear something. They'd certainly need those guys to try to forge a draw or near draw with STA's front. If STA's front gets the better of the OL (likely) but only slightly, Bowman can still grind out the yards and maybe break one or two big ones. Which would be needed because I think Lakeland's passing game can only hit a few balls sparingly against the STA D. Maybe a couple RPO's and PAs off of stretch. They'd mostly have to ride Bowman and the defense to win.  

Have to see more of Columbia. Not sure about their defense. I think Lakeland matches up well with their offense with the super fast DL and Fenley Graham at CB. I sense it would be a little like the Apoka game (yes, totally different style of play) where they hit a couple big plays but most every other play is a loss or no gain. But, who knows? Columbia throws it around a lot. I do know that I watch every single football game HS, college and pro waiting in fear for PI or roughing the passer calls. The old Darrel Royal quote about there being only three things that can happen when you pass is badly outdated. There are five: Completion, Incompletion, Interception...Pass Interference and/or targeting and Roughing the Passer and/or targeting. I suppose you could say six things when you consider you can get a player ejected from the game. lol

I have noticed that one star DB transfer for Lakeland who'd been with the team all spring and summer isn't on the roster. He's still on the hudl page. If he's not on the team, the secondary is down a notch from where I anticipated.

Our passing game has been on fire since the start but the running game has been improving each week and the defense has been forcing turnovers and putting good pressure on the qb

Our game with IMG is still on their fb page and the game with Lee this Friday will be streamed and i think our game with Trinity Christian in 2 weeks will also be streamed

I might stream Bolles game first week of November if no other network picks that game up for streaming

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badrouter said:

The big difference I've seen this year so far is STA's Offensive Line.  They are most definitely improved.   I was impressed how they fared vs Dematha who has a very large strong front as well.    What will be interesting is how they fare against MC.   They aren't big but very fast.   Sometimes the big guys do better against guys their size as compared to smaller fast guys.     

STA's D front is special as always this year.    I love watching them play D. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I'm going to try and get a sneak peek into that Columbia/Lee game this weekend.

What time does it start?

7:30 on Friday 

Once i got a link I'll be making a post,  apparently duval sports over in Jacksonville will be covering it through the NFHS network as their game of the week but they won't post link until later this week but as soon as i get it I'll be sharing it as much as I can

It also is in the lead for channel 47 in Jacksonville in fan vote for game of the week but they only do highlights 

But duval sports should have entire game 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I'm going to try and get a sneak peek into that Columbia/Lee game this weekend.

What time does it start?

Here's some highlights of Raines vs Lee.   This is unfortunately the game where someone was shot and killed after the game.  Very sad.   Was the only film I could find on Lee this year.  They are usually pretty good and have had Columbia's number. 

9 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Here's some highlights of Raines vs Lee.   This is unfortunately the game where someone was shot and killed after the game sadly.  Was the only film I could find on Lee this year.  They are usually pretty good and have had Columbia's number. 

I thought the game with mandarin was streamed online somewhere 

I'll see if i can find it because it was duval sports game of the week last week 

I may check it out myself 

• Thanks 1

Couple decent highlight reels from press box elevations. Hudl is a good place to find highlights for a lot of teams and players. Search out teams and then click on highly viewed players and you can find lots of good stuff! These guys play for Lakeland.

RB Demarkus Bowman: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AMyxN

LB Jaharie Martin: http://www.hudl.com/v/2AMNq8