The end of the Obama Trump Great Bull Market

DarterBlue

16 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Stocks continued to get beat up today. In the process, the two NASDAQ indices took out their October lows and closed just below them. On the other hand, the DOW, S&P, Russell and S&P MID Cap are still above their October lows, but some are hanging on by a thread. At one stage today, after bottoming from its early weakness, the two NASDAQ indices came reasonably close to going positive on the day. Had they been able to do so, that would have been a good sign for the bulls, as this would have probably meant that we had put in at least a temporary bottom. However, that nascent rally did not bloom, and by day's end, even though the two NASDAQ indices finished in better shape than the other major indices, they were both down in the 1.7% range and both closed below their October lows. 

All indices today finished in at least the bottom third of their day's ranges. This is not symptomatic of bull market action. For it indicates very clearly that those wanting to sell have a clear upper hand over those wishing to buy. With that said, I believe we will get a temporary respite here. I expect the day before and the day after Thanksgiving to have slightly, positive biases. So, look for a bounce from the violent selling we have experienced over the past two days. However, once the professionals get back to work on Monday, I expect more selling with all the major indices breaking October lows. If I am right on this, then we will be in phase two of the bear market and the next downside objective would be the February lows of this year. Those should be taken out in short order as phase two of the bear wakes investors up to the fact that things have changed at least for the intermediate future.

Remember, markets are characterized by the following emotional states: Hope, at the beginning of new bull markets; greed, during the mature and latter stages of a bull market, as well as the early stage of a bear market; fear, when it becomes clear that we are in a bear market (the intermediate to mature stage of the bear); and, finally despair, during the latter stage of bear markets when stocks can be bought, profitably, at very deep discounts, just as the majority are selling with manic abandon.

Currently, we are transitioning from greed to fear. Once the October lows are broken and the February lows challenged, we will have transitioned to fear, for at this time, what was obvious to competent, veteran market participants, will become clear to most everyone else. 

At the close of business today, my PUT Options were up another $8,150, or about a 12.5% gain from the prior day's closing value. Thus, the pre-Thanksgiving week has treated me well. In celebration of this, I will prepare, myself, a Jamaican fusion Thanksgiving meal done totally from scratch Thursday! This assumes, of course, that I am not blindsided tomorrow which is always a possibility when you trade. 

Glad to see you were up again yesterday.  This market looks like it isn't going up much this year and probably next.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

We shall see....costing an economy trillions is usually not a good thing

That's still not the major concern.  By raising interest rates due to increased inflation and runaway markets, the FED makes these market pull backs small and easily recoverable.  So if the DOW (though the SP500 and Russell 2K are better measures) falls between 2 to 4 thousand there won't be too much of a panic that could lead to a recession or even a depression. 

Let's say the fed did nothing and the DOW rose to 30,000 and something happened to make the markets fall, panic would creep in, and the DOW could fall to as low as lets say 12,000.  If this happens, many companies would be forced to lay off people and many would also go bankrupt.  Unemployment would sky rocket and people would be miserable in general. Instead of losing a trillion or so, the loss could much more.

You saw what happened in 2008 as many people lost fortunes and there retirement investments, and unemployment shot up as well.  Even politically, there was an upheaval, as the the Republicans lost the Presidency.  These small pull backs that are happening are nothing compared to what happened in 2008.  Think of the market this way, it's like running a marathon; if you go too fast, then you will burn out and the race will be lost.  The FED is just making sure that the market doesn't poop out.

Also, it's not only the FED that is keeping the markets from going up quickly, it's also international pressure as most global markets are stagnant and many like the Chinese markets are falling hard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Great trade.  I am glad for you!

I'm done trading for today.  Glad I got out of UGAZ as it looks like it is pulling back.

Tomorrow is a mixed blessing for me as I have to work the evening shift.  But don't mind as I will be going to my and dad's house as will my brothers and their families, for lunch.

Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ohio said:

I'm done trading for today.  Glad I got out of UGAZ as it looks like it is pulling back.

Tomorrow is a mixed blessing for me as I have to work the evening shift.  But don't mind as I will be going to my and dad's house as will my brothers and their families, for lunch.

Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving with your family.

Hope you enjoy yours, too!

• Thanks 1

With the exception of the DOW, which closed down a point after being up significantly during the day, all other major indices closed higher, mostly by moderate amounts, with the exception of smaller stocks which gained over a percentage. So, on the surface, things looked mildly positive. However, if you look at day charts of all the major indices, the great majority closed at or near day lows. Given the fact that the market was trying to rebound from two very bad days, you would have expected the rally attempt to have a little more staying power to it. Regardless, the day was an indeterminate one which provided some cheer for both bulls and bears. In terms of percentage gains, it ended up about where I had expected it to be. But with respect to how things actually played out, there was a bit more intra-day volatility than I had expected. 

The Friday after Thanksgiving has traditionally been very quiet and usually has the least volume of any trading day on the calendar. It has traditionally been a day with a distinct, mild positive bias. Despite the fireworks this week, I don't expect Friday to deviate significantly from its historical norms. Very few professionals are active during this day, as most opt for the four day weekend. So, we must look to Monday for clarity to manifest itself. My point of view is that it will do so negatively.

On the day, I lost $2,730 or about 4% on the open positions. This is a rather trivial amount given the big gains Monday and Tuesday, and was expected. Therefore, these losses were taken in stride as I am trolling for bigger fish. 

May friend and foe alike has a great Thanksgiving, reflecting on the significance of the holiday and taking the time to connect/reconnect with family and friends. Be safe if you travel! 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

As I type this, the futures are down quite a bit this morning. The day after Thanksgiving is usually one of the most uneventful, positive market days on the calendar. In fact, it has been over 50 years since the aggregate of the day before and day after this holiday have been net negative. This seems possible if the market follows through on the negative futures this morning. As least for some indices if not all.

Should this occur, I expect next week to be a bloodbath. If we get such a scenario, I may cover my PUTS, taking a decent profit, and then wait for the next good shorting opportunity. 

Below are links to two articles, one very old and the other just old that give an idea of the powerful bullish bias this week has had over the years. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/28/business/market-place-how-prices-do-on-days-that-adjoin-a-holiday.html

https://money.cnn.com/2008/11/28/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

Of course, given the source of the articles, some on this board may question their authenticity. 😎

To them, all I can say is: caveat emptor!

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, DarterBlue said:

Not saying you should sell it, but it is never too late to sell unless the instrument is no longer traded. Meaning? When you have a bad trade, it is never late to own up to it and get out. Example: though FND was above my sale price as of yesterday's close, my only regret is that I did not sell it after it responded poorly to earnings back in the summer. I should have taken the loss then, but don't regret taking it late. 

Thanks for the advice.  I sold UCO at 19.74  before I went to work yesterday for a loss.  it's getting hammered today.

Will probably sell TLRY today as well

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

As I type this, the futures are down quite a bit this morning. The day after Thanksgiving is usually one of the most uneventful, positive market days on the calendar. In fact, it has been over 50 years since the aggregate of the day before and day after this holiday have been net negative. This seems possible if the market follows through on the negative futures this morning. As least for some indices if not all.

Should this occur, I expect next week to be a bloodbath. If we get such a scenario, I may cover my PUTS, taking a decent profit, and then wait for the next good shorting opportunity. 

Below are links to two articles, one very old and the other just old that give an idea of the powerful bullish bias this week has had over the years. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/28/business/market-place-how-prices-do-on-days-that-adjoin-a-holiday.html

https://money.cnn.com/2008/11/28/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm

Of course, given the source of the articles, some on this board may question their authenticity. 😎

To them, all I can say is: caveat emptor!

You called it perfectly.  Glad to see you are making money on the puts. 

Thought about going short, but will wait and buy if the market goes up next week.   If the markets go down too much, I may jump into TQQQ next week.  After I sell TLRY I will be in all cash for the weekend, and see what the next week holds. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ohio said:

Thanks for the advice.  I sold UCO at 19.74  before I went to work yesterday for a loss.  it's getting hammered today.

Will probably sell TLRY today as well

Don't know what I was writing this morning, meant to say that I sold UCO on Wednesday.  Guess I just wanted to get out of the house, since  we finally got some sunshine today, which is a rarity this time of year in the Cleveland area.  Got a good, brisk 6 mile walk in today.

Yesterday was really nice even though it was cold as hell and I had to work,  but it was nice to have lunch with my family. Gonna be having turkey soup, sandwiches, and leftovers for the next week or so.  

Hope your Thanksgiving was great as well.

6 hours ago, ohio said:

Don't know what I was writing this morning, meant to say that I sold UCO on Wednesday.  Guess I just wanted to get out of the house, since  we finally got some sunshine today, which is a rarity this time of year in the Cleveland area.  Got a good, brisk 6 mile walk in today.

Yesterday was really nice even though it was cold as hell and I had to work,  but it was nice to have lunch with my family. Gonna be having turkey soup, sandwiches, and leftovers for the next week or so.  

Hope your Thanksgiving was great as well.

It's all good. Confusing time of year.

Thanksgiving was fine. I did the cooking for a change. Did a few experimental things. Results were not perfect, but the food was good enough to eat. Got to work on the leftovers tomorrow. 

Regarding the market, today was a horrible day for the bulls. It's not that the losses were large; they were not. It was the poor overall action taken within the context of the day after Thanksgiving and of Wednesday's lack luster rally attempt.

I will update my thoughts in detail tomorrow evening or sometime Sunday. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

It's all good. Confusing time of year.

Thanksgiving was fine. I did the cooking for a change. Did a few experimental things. Results were not perfect, but the food was good enough to eat. Got to work on the leftovers tomorrow. 

Regarding the market, today was a horrible day for the bulls. It's not that the losses were large; they were not. It was the poor overall action taken within the context of the day after Thanksgiving and of Wednesday's lack luster rally attempt.

I will update my thoughts in detail tomorrow evening or sometime Sunday. 

You're probably a better cook than I.  If I cook anything, I pretty much have to resort to YouTube or a recipe.  And even then.....

As far as left overs go, I'll probably freeze most of them as I have no intention of trying to eat them all in the near future.

The markets falling yesterday was kind of a surprise.  Could be a sign of things to come.

Always look forward to your thoughts.

36 minutes ago, ohio said:

You're probably a better cook than I.  If I cook anything, I pretty much have to resort to YouTube or a recipe.  And even then.....

As far as left overs go, I'll probably freeze most of them as I have no intention of trying to eat them all in the near future.

The markets falling yesterday was kind of a surprise.  Could be a sign of things to come.

I learned to cook at 10 when my mom and dad divorced after 3.5 years of separation during which time I lived with dad. Mom ran a local bar/take out restaurant and worked till 2 or 3 am each night. She explained patiently that I needed to watch what she did over the next two weeks because she was not going to get up at 6 am in the morning to make my breakfast before I was off to school. As I always loved my stomach, I was a quick study.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ohio said:

The Market: Thanksgiving week was an abortion for bulls. Both NASDAQ indices took out their October lows. All the others are one bad day away from taking out theirs. That the day after Thanksgiving ended on such a bad note was very troubling.

Against the above backdrop, while most measures of market action have it as being oversold, my primary indicator that I use to measure overbought/oversold, the McClennan Oscillator, is actually in neutral territory and would have to drop quite a bit more to meet extreme oversold conditions. This Oscillator, measures the internal breadth of the market indices (the creator only used it to measure NYSE data, but I use it to measure NASDAQ data as well) over time and is updated daily. Accompanying it is a summation index which sums the daily readings separately. Anyway, as said, it is currently in neutral territory.

Combining the oscillator's reading with the broad market action last week, a week many professionals too off, I think the first half of the new week will be extremely negative. In fact, it would not surprise me if we got a mini crash of between 5 and 10%. Should this occur, I need to decide whether I book profits on my long PUTS or not. As of now, should we have the weakness I envision, I am inclined to book profits. For if I do, I can always sit back and wait for another opportune shorting opportunity when we get the inevitable rebound when we are truly oversold. 

My position remains the same: we are now in a bear market of indeterminate duration and magnitude. However, given that we are coming off extreme overvaluation, I believe there is extreme risk that the magnitude will be very severe. In the month of October, I advised that anyone not truly in for the long haul should adjust their portfolios accordingly. My advice remains the same as I think we are still in the early innings of this downturn. 

• Thanks 1

I learned to cook at 10 when my mom and dad divorced after 3.5 years of separation during which time I lived with dad. Mom ran a local bar/take out restaurant and worked till 2 or 3 am each night. She explained patiently that I needed to watch what she did over the next two weeks because she was not going to get up at 6 am in the morning to make my breakfast before I was off to school. As I always loved my stomach, I was a quick study.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It was cool that your mom showed you how to cook, and you did her proud. 

I too learned to cook at an early age due to both of my parents working the first shift.  I used to heat up food that mom made or make something as my parents went to work before we went to school.  In addition, usually I had something prepared before they came home from work.  Also had to keep my younger brothers in line during that time.  I wasn't a good cook, but at least there was food on the table and the house didn't burn down.  Lol. 

I guess necessity makes you grow up quick.

• Like 1

The Market: Thanksgiving week was an abortion for bulls. Both NASDAQ indices took out their October lows. All the others are one bad day away from taking out theirs. That the day after Thanksgiving ended on such a bad note was very troubling.

Against the above backdrop, while most measures of market action have it as being oversold, my primary indicator that I use to measure overbought/oversold, the McClennan Oscillator, is actually in neutral territory and would have to drop quite a bit more to meet extreme oversold conditions. This Oscillator, measures the internal breadth of the market indices (the creator only used it to measure NYSE data, but I use it to measure NASDAQ data as well) over time and is updated daily. Accompanying it is a summation index which sums the daily readings separately. Anyway, as said, it is currently in neutral territory.

Combining the oscillator's reading with the broad market action last week, a week many professionals too off, I think the first half of the new week will be extremely negative. In fact, it would not surprise me if we got a mini crash of between 5 and 10%. Should this occur, I need to decide whether I book profits on my long PUTS or not. As of now, should we have the weakness I envision, I am inclined to book profits. For if I do, I can always sit back and wait for another opportune shorting opportunity when we get the inevitable rebound when we are truly oversold. 

My position remains the same: we are now in a bear market of indeterminate duration and magnitude. However, given that we are coming off extreme overvaluation, I believe there is extreme risk that the magnitude will be very severe. In the month of October, I advised that anyone not truly in for the long haul should adjust their portfolios accordingly. My advice remains the same as I think we are still in the early innings of this downturn. 

Agreed on these points.  Will comment more on them this week as I am about to hit the sack.

But be careful on your positions if the media starts saying that the markets are over-sold, because you could lose your gains. So, be vigilant of your exit strategy even if you do leave some money on the table.   I made that mistake last month and early part of this one as I took an unnecessary hit on UVXY and TVIX.  No shame in getting out of your positions if the tide starts to turn in the short term.  You can always go back to your shorts in the future if need be, as the markets really don't have much room to go up in the long term.  It could be a up and down roller coaster ride in the next few months and into 2020 even though it will be mostly negative news.

Well, anyways have a good night as we will talk again this week.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2018 at 8:48 PM, DarterBlue said:

I was wrong, so far, on the first part of the week being negative. The market rallied strongly today. As a result of this, I gave up about 45% of last week's gains. With that said, I still believe we are in a bear market.

Had I not been working a gig this week with today being my first day, I would likely have added to my PUT positions. Be that as it may, I still expect further weakness this week. 

The end could not have come sooner to a very bad week for me. The averages gained from 3% on the Russell to nearly 6% on the NASDAQ. According to IBD (Investor's Daily) this was the best weekly market gains of the year for most indices. For a person short the market, that was devastating. With the week’s performance, all indices except the Russell, MID cap and NYSE are again in the black for the year. Friday’s range was from a gain of .52% on the Russell to .82% on the NASDAQ 100 and S&P.  Advancing stocks led 16-14 and 17-14 on the NYSE and NASDAQ. Thus, breadth was not that impressive. In fact, aside from the huge gains on Wednesday, overall breadth was unimpressive the entire week. That said, that does not necessarily mean that the recent strength will not have much staying power. It sure could.

On the week, I lost $18,990, which was $2,540 greater than the profits I accumulated Thanksgiving week when all the major indices slumped badly. These losses represent my largest weekly losses on the year, eclipsing the losses I sustained in late July after FND reported disappointing earnings. Despite the gains, new highs were only 108 compared with 378 new lows. There are still a lot of stocks near or at 52-week lows, testimony to the October and November weakness. This week, though impressive, still left all the major indices off their early November highs and well off the all time highs scored in August, September and, in the case of the DOW, early October. So, with that said, bulls are clearly not out of the woods yet.

The losses this week, stung mostly because the interaction between POTUS and the Fed Chair violated what I considered sacrosanct: the idea that POTUS should never be seen making interest rate policy. Sure, in the dynamics of politics, I am aware that many Presidents have tried to use “persuasion” to influence policy. However, the idea that POTUS would bully the FED Chair into making policy is totally alien to the American experience. I suppose this is just another convention that has ended under this most unusual Presidency. As we go into the first week of December, the option positions which had a comfortable gain of 49.85%, is now clinging tenuously to an aggregate gain of 8%. Upon doing my weekend analysis, I have decided to hold the positions at least through the first two days of the upcoming week barring any unusual price movement.

9 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

The end could not have come sooner to a very bad week for me. The averages gained from 3% on the Russell to nearly 6% on the NASDAQ. According to IBD (Investor's Daily) this was the best weekly market gains of the year for most indices. For a person short the market, that was devastating. With the week’s performance, all indices except the Russell, MID cap and NYSE are again in the black for the year. Friday’s range was from a gain of .52% on the Russell to .82% on the NASDAQ 100 and S&P.  Advancing stocks led 16-14 and 17-14 on the NYSE and NASDAQ. Thus, breadth was not that impressive. In fact, aside from the huge gains on Wednesday, overall breadth was unimpressive the entire week. That said, that does not necessarily mean that the recent strength will not have much staying power. It sure could.

On the week, I lost $18,990, which was $2,540 greater than the profits I accumulated Thanksgiving week when all the major indices slumped badly. These losses represent my largest weekly losses on the year, eclipsing the losses I sustained in late July after FND reported disappointing earnings. Despite the gains, new highs were only 108 compared with 378 new lows. There are still a lot of stocks near or at 52-week lows, testimony to the October and November weakness. This week, though impressive, still left all the major indices off their early November highs and well off the all time highs scored in August, September and, in the case of the DOW, early October. So, with that said, bulls are clearly not out of the woods yet.

The losses this week, stung mostly because the interaction between POTUS and the Fed Chair violated what I considered sacrosanct: the idea that POTUS should never be seen making interest rate policy. Sure, in the dynamics of politics, I am aware that many Presidents have tried to use “persuasion” to influence policy. However, the idea that POTUS would bully the FED Chair into making policy is totally alien to the American experience. I suppose this is just another convention that has ended under this most unusual Presidency. As we go into the first week of December, the option positions which had a comfortable gain of 49.85%, is now clinging tenuously to an aggregate gain of 8%. Upon doing my weekend analysis, I have decided to hold the positions at least through the first two days of the upcoming week barring any unusual price movement.

sorry to hear you crapped out 6a00d8341c652b53ef017ee9010c1d970d-800wi

13 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Sorry to hear about the loss in your positions.

Hopefully this week will turnaround for you.

It seems that both Trump and Powell want to keep the market artificially inflated while they are in office even though it is not for the good of the country's economic health.   They are willing to let the next president, chairman, and the country end up holding the bag when the market does tank.  This latest Fed decision seems to be based on ego and not on sound financial principles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ohio said:

It seems that both Trump and Powell want to keep the market artificially inflated while they are in office even though it is not for the good of the country's economic health.   They are willing to let the next president, chairman, and the country end up holding the bag when the market does tank.  This latest Fed decision seems to be based on ego and not on sound financial principles.

Just like he bankrupted his businesses, Trump will bankrupt the country. It's the same template. Leverage, leverage, leverage and bolt. 

Let someone else worry about fixing things. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ohio said:

It is part of the game we play. Not nice especially given the circumstances, but it is something we all deal with, draw downs. 

Regarding the upcoming week, we will see. If I don't like the action I will cover the position. The first loss is the best, the last the worst.