Panama City Beach about to become Michael Beach...

RedZone

People that live in the middle part of Florida's panhandle are facing a storm that may have dire consequences. I hope those living close to the beach (Panama City Beach, etc.) have heeded the warnings and headed inland. Failure to do so will almost certainly result in loss of life as well as property. 

It's pretty scary how this storm in a matter of days went from being a forecast category 1 by the time it reached Florida to now a 4 with the possibility of being a 5. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It's pretty scary how this storm in a matter of days went from being a forecast category 1 by the time it reached Florida to now a 4 with the possibility of being a 5. 

I'm by no means a hurricane expert, but it's been my experience most of these storms lose steam.....I've seen my share of hurricanes.

When you catch a fast moving storm skidding along warm/hot water that ain't real good.....

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

That's par for the course. The desire to protect property and inherent stubbornness pretty much guarantees that in any calamity, a large number of people will roll the dice. 

Endangering more people when the storm is over. It's just dumb that these people dont listen. Hard to feel sorry for people that dont listen about a storm that will at least destroy your house if not kill

12 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Endangering more people when the storm is over. It's just dumb that these people dont listen. Hard to feel sorry for people that dont listen about a storm that will at least destroy your house if not kill

Yes, but I wouldn't be too hard on them. The thought of losing all of your life's accumulations when you are in your mid forties to early fifties must be a pretty scary thing. When you are in your 20s and 30s you can start over relatively easily. When you are middle aged or beyond, it is not so easy. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

Yes, but I wouldn't be too hard on them. The thought of losing all of your life's accumulations when you are in your mid forties to early fifties must be a pretty scary thing. When you are in your 20s and 30s you can start over relatively easily. When you are middle aged or beyond, it is not so easy. 

My life is significantly more important than any tangible thing I own. Everything can be replaced. Your life cannot. The house has insurance. It may take a while but you'll get paid. Pack your car up with whatever you can that is valuable and go. 

23 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

My life is significantly more important than any tangible thing I own. Everything can be replaced. Your life cannot. The house has insurance. It may take a while but you'll get paid. Pack your car up with whatever you can that is valuable and go. 

Home insurance in Florida is quite expensive relative to incomes. I would bet many don't have insurance and will have lost it all. Just my thoughts as I live here. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Home insurance in Florida is quite expensive relative to incomes. I would bet many don't have insurance and will have lost it all. Just my thoughts as I live here. 

Aren't you required to have insurance unless your home is owned free and clear of a mortgage? Or are you saying most people rent and do not carry renter's insurance?

Just now, HSFBfan said:

That's just crazy. You gotta protect the one big asset you have which is your house.

It may sound crazy, but you also have to eat and pay for life's other essentials. In the 25 years I have owned a house in Florida my homeowners insurance has more than tripled. I have been able to absorb that cost. But many others can't afford to. Regardless of what big business says about global warming, premiums in Florida sure reflect a great concern on the part of insurers. 

Just now, maxchoboian said:

Aren't you required to have insurance unless your home is owned free and clear of a mortgage? Or are you saying most people rent and do not carry renter's insurance?

Many middle aged and older folk may no longer have a mortgage. And many renters certainly don't have renters insurance. I have not had a mortgage since 2013. However, because I live in a hurricane state, I still keep my insurance though I don't live on the coast. Just too much at risk. Of course though not rich, I am probably better off than the average Floridian. 

42 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It may sound crazy, but you also have to eat and pay for life's other essentials. In the 25 years I have owned a house in Florida my homeowners insurance has more than tripled. I have been able to absorb that cost. But many others can't afford to. Regardless of what big business says about global warming, premiums in Florida sure reflect a great concern on the part of insurers. 

I guess deciding btw eating and house insurance people are gonna eat. Part of that whole living thing 

3 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Many middle aged and older folk may no longer have a mortgage. And many renters certainly don't have renters insurance. I have not had a mortgage since 2013. However, because I live in a hurricane state, I still keep my insurance though I don't live on the coast. Just too much at risk. Of course though not rich, I am probably better off than the average Floridian. 

Residents and snowbirds without insurance, esp. flood insurance, are going to take a hit around the Panhandle area. With all the potential hurricanes and flooding its best to have home owners insurance in Florida.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ohio said:

Residents and snowbirds without insurance, esp. flood insurance, are going to take a hit around the Panhandle area. With all the potential hurricanes and flooding its best to have home owners insurance in Florida.

There is another problem, though. A state controlled insurer used to insure those that live by the coast and other high risk areas after the national insurers pulled out. However, in the past decade, the state has unwound much of its underwriting exposure. Now that on the surface seems good. However, many of the risky policies have been sold off, transferred to smaller, locally based insurers. We are just one disaster away from a number of these entities going belly up as their risk is not sufficiently diversified and many are under capitalized. Stay tuned ...