NJ Playoff Brackets

Hardcore Troubador

Posted today (incl. the two we all care about - Non-Public 3 and 4)

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-7972713099229657826/2018-njsiaa-football-playoff-brackets/

In NP3 I’m curious to see how 1-win PJ23 does against the #1 seed Red Bank Catholic (who has looked very impressive this season).  Also how DP does against a recruited-up Mater Dei-Ranney co-op that has been demolishing the competition.

In NP4 looks like Bergen will get Bosco in the 2nd round barring a Delby upset over Bosco (though Delby has had a good season and took DePaul to the wire).

Moving forward they should break up Group 3 and just go to 2 consolidated brackets - Groups 1-2 and Groups 3-4.  The only thing is they’d have to waive the enrollment standard for DePaul and bump them up to Group 3-4 based on program strength.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Posted today (incl. the two we all care about - Non-Public 3 and 4)

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-7972713099229657826/2018-njsiaa-football-playoff-brackets/

In NP3 I’m curious to see how 1-win PJ23 does against the #1 seed Red Bank Catholic (who has looked very impressive this season).  Also how DP does against a recruited-up Mater Dei-Ranney co-op that has been demolishing the competition.

In NP4 looks like Bergen will get Bosco in the 2nd round barring a Delby upset over Bosco (though Delby has had a good season and took DePaul to the wire).

Moving forward they should break up Group 3 and just go to 2 consolidated brackets - Groups 1-2 and Groups 3-4.  The only thing is they’d have to waive the enrollment standard for DePaul and bump them up to Group 3-4 based on program strength.

Best game as you pointed out is bosco delby. Bosco should wear them down and run them into submission but it might be close for a while 

51 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

It's so dumb....so they amended it to 80 ft poles for the lights but there will be no night games at all at bergen...so why have lights?

look for the sake of the future of the school they have to get this done. If you have to give a little to do so then so be it..Last I checked SJR doesn't host night games either. The situation is bigger than night games

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

look for the sake of the future of the school they have to get this done. If you have to give a little to do so then so be it..Last I checked SJR doesn't host night games either. The situation is bigger than night games

So than there is no reason for lights. Your right sjr does not have lights and they are not putting up 80 ft light poles so they can be put up at 730. I agree then field needs to be addressed but putting up lights to have them turned off at 730 doesnt make a whole lotta sense 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

So than there is no reason for lights. Your right sjr does not have lights and they are not putting up 80 ft light poles so they can be put up at 730. I agree then field needs to be addressed but putting up lights to have them turned off at 730 doesnt make a whole lotta sense 

it is dark now by 6:15  other teams including soccer can use the facilities  best they can do I guess

16 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

it is dark now by 6:15  other teams including soccer can use the facilities  best they can do I guess

I guess. Idk how much sense it makes. They dealt with no lights all these years. And now the biggest drawing in terms of attendance and revenue wont be able to play underneath them. I hope the rest of the renovations go thru tho. Bergen gotta do something. 

18 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

this was sorely needed and a big boost to the school..to be honest some guys I spoke to are shocked that it got through..BC's presence isn't very much loved in Oradell. But from a practical and aesthetic perspective this will help the entire area around there

It went thru at 6-1. So it seem pretty well received 

So only school with lights is SJR but both bc and SJR will still play football on Saturday afternoon. 

The rest of the renovations were sorely needed. Will this help with the parking situation 

13 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

It went thru at 6-1. So it seem pretty well received 

So only school with lights is SJR but both bc and SJR will still play football on Saturday afternoon. 

The rest of the renovations were sorely needed. Will this help with the parking situation 

i don't think parking will improve at all but what is offered field level will be a vast improvement...i really just don't understand why the residents couldn't allow 3 night football games a season. 1 in Sept. 1 in Oct. and 1 for the playoffs..starts at 7 and done by 10..seems like a minor thing

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

i don't think parking will improve at all but what is offered field level will be a vast improvement...i really just don't understand why the residents couldn't allow 3 night football games a season. 1 in Sept. 1 in Oct. and 1 for the playoffs..starts at 7 and done by 10..seems like a minor thing

I agree. But parking is one thr biggest issues at BC. Why not deal with that during the renovations?

Could have made a deal start the game at 630 and you'll be done by 930. 

There could have been a deal made like you said. 

Just now, HSFBfan said:

I agree. But parking is one thr biggest issues at BC. Why not deal with that during the renovations?

Could have made a deal start the game at 630 and you'll be done by 930. 

There could have been a deal made like you said. 

maybe but this has drug on for 7 months and this was the 2nd proposal after the 1st one met resistance and wasn't going to pass. The admin I'm sure knew they had to look at the big picture and that was the facilities upgrade. The night games were minor and I guess they were just sacrificed at the altar.  The parking?? I don't really think much can be done to be honest. They are dealing with limited space as is and the roads all around there are 1 lane either direction. Makes no sense to waste limited land on parking. Look at Bosco, tons of land and the parking is still atrocious because everything leads to Franklin Turnpike

• Like 1

I’m not sure there’s a solution to the limited parking - not one that’s worth it to the school at least. Why spend a ton of money to build a parking lot that’s only needed a few times a year? Parking on the street isn’t great but it’s not that big of a deal and something lots of schools in the area have to deal with (PC and Bosco come to mind).

The agreement gets them the field and lights done which is huge. If the concession right now is to say no night games then so be it - they can always go back and ask to play night games at a later time. That agreement can always be changed but once the field is built the town can’t go back on that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

maybe but this has drug on for 7 months and this was the 2nd proposal after the 1st one met resistance and wasn't going to pass. The admin I'm sure knew they had to look at the big picture and that was the facilities upgrade. The night games were minor and I guess they were just sacrificed at the altar.  The parking?? I don't really think much can be done to be honest. They are dealing with limited space as is and the roads all around there are 1 lane either direction. Makes no sense to waste limited land on parking. Look at Bosco, tons of land and the parking is still atrocious because everything leads to Franklin Turnpike

Parking is pretty easy at bosco. Plenty of spots to park. I've never had an issue leaving or coming in. But that's whatever

I agree with everything your saying. You have to lose some battles to win the war and in this case the crusaders won the war. Congrats on your new Renovations

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bc3 said:

I’m not sure there’s a solution to the limited parking - not one that’s worth it to the school at least. Why spend a ton of money to build a parking lot that’s only needed a few times a year? Parking on the street isn’t great but it’s not that big of a deal and something lots of schools in the area have to deal with (PC and Bosco come to mind).

The agreement gets them the field and lights done which is huge. If the concession right now is to say no night games then so be it - they can always go back and ask to play night games at a later time. That agreement can always be changed but once the field is built the town can’t go back on that. 

Good points. I agree 

3 minutes ago, bc3 said:

100% agree..the facilities were the big thing and it is a huge upgrade..the fans will deal with the parking as they have for the last 50 years. Now the question I have is about how far south the project extends? I know BC has bought numerous homes to the south over the years are they being incorporated?

32 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

100% agree..the facilities were the big thing and it is a huge upgrade..the fans will deal with the parking as they have for the last 50 years. Now the question I have is about how far south the project extends? I know BC has bought numerous homes to the south over the years are they being incorporated?

Bergen is in such a tough location. - even if they buy up those houses (each one isn’t cheap, either, so fundraising to buy them takes effort) they’re only getting a small strip along woodland avenue, and maybe the houses immediately adjacent to it on Oradell and Midland.  They can build tennis courts, maybe expand parking a bit, but there’s just not a lot of land there to begin with.

Mickey do you know if they’ve ever made overtures to buy the land out from under the Lutheran Church across the street?  Not cheap, but that’s a big plot of land and they can definitely expand parking and build something substantial there.