NJ Playoff Brackets

Hardcore Troubador

3 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Bergen is in such a tough location. - even if they buy up those houses (each one isn’t cheap, either, so fundraising to buy them takes effort) they’re only getting a small strip along woodland avenue, and maybe the houses immediately adjacent to it on Oradell and Midland.  They can build tennis courts, maybe expand parking a bit, but there’s not a lot of land there to begin with.

Mickey do you know if they’ve ever made overtures to buy the land out from under the Lutheran Church across the street?  

Not cheap, but that’s a big plot of land and they c am definitely expand parking and build something substantial there. 

oh no doubt it is expensive but I was under the impression that this home/land acquisition program has been in progress for awhile. I just never understood the idea behind it because I never thought the town would rezone the property for BC's use and they would never dismiss the property taxes 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

oh no doubt it is expensive but I was under the impression that this home/land acquisition program has been in progress for awhile. I just never understood the idea behind it because I never thought the town would rezone the property for BC's use and they would never dismiss the property taxes 

Yep, it’s been going on for at least 20 years.  I agree I don’t see the town allowing them to expand that much anyway.  

I vaguely recall when I was at Bergen they also bought/leased some land in Paramus behind a strip mall at corner of Forest and Midland.  They have fields there they use for football, soccer, and lacrosse practices (I remember practicing there once or twice in the summer before classes).

2 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Yep, it’s been going on for at least 20 years.  I agree I don’t see the town allowing them to expand that much anyway.  

I vaguely recall when I was at Bergen they also bought/leased some land in Paramus behind a strip mall at corner of Forest and Midland.  They have fields there they use for football, soccer, and lacrosse practices (I remember practicing there once or twice in the summer before classes).

it is unfortunate that the alumni could never agree on the need to move the school back in the 90's when it was discussed. 1/2 were attached to the current location and it was a dead idea. Everyone with 1/2 a brain knew we needed more land. I boarded enough vans down to Van Saun park for baseball and soccer practices to have realized it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

RD should ask for half the gate and all the concession $$. They could play on Friday nights, BC on Saturdays. Food for thought. 

NO WAY River Dell would allow BC to have their games played there. It would be like a year long recruitment trip. The high school does not need the money either. 

2 hours ago, bc3 said:

If necessary, I’d assume they’d play home games at the county field in Pal Park like they’ve done in the past. They still use the county field in Lyndhurst for baseball games so that relationship seems to still be in place. 

Your fellow Catholics brothers at Paramus catholic probably would lend a hand. I mean Bergen is only up the road from PC. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The admin made their own bed. They chose their destiny, as well as the school's long term. 

That’s sad.  All jokes about #livin aside, I respected that as Paterson Catholic, Don Bosco Tech, etc. closed that PC provided an affordable and safe educational environment for a lot of these kids.  

They will never be Bergen, Bosco, or Joes (and we all know what I’m talking about here), and they shouldn’t - they provide a valuable and needed service and alternative.  

(Although I heard Rich Hansen give an interview a few months ago where he postulated that the reason SPP never seems to get “respect” is because it’s an “inner city” school competing against schools in Bergen County.  “Inner City.”  In the Paulus Hook section of Jersey City.  Give me a fucking break! 🤣)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Agree totally. PC will always serve a need. I was from a single parent home without lots of money. I chose it because it was affordable and it was coed. Remember, despite its marginal boys sports, it's still the largest Catholic, coed HS in all of NJ. 

it is the largest private school period.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Agree totally. PC will always serve a need. I was from a single parent home without much money. I chose it because it was affordable and it was coed. Remember, despite its marginal boys sports, it's still the largest Catholic, coed HS in all of NJ. 

PC's problem is a quick fix (hire the right people). President is just clueless on what fuels enrollment. I told you months ago that their enrollment would decline as the football team declined, just like it peaked when the football team peaked.  Some of you thought it pretended to think getting away from the livin battle cry was a positive. I said it was a huge mistake. Now the numbers are showing that they've cut their noses to spite their face. The worse is still yet to come. Keep an eye on transfer season. 

Ps. 

I love PC so don't take this as me bashing them. I'm just disappointed in the direction of the program. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Programs that want to lean towards education suffer while programs that buy into athletics thrive. When PC bought into livin and peppers brought in his friends the whole school thrived. Now they went away from that model and players and students are no happy about it at all. 

That's not really true. On the surface it is, but the truth is nothing has changed at PC but the staff. They still had over 10 transfers. So aside from removing the livin sign, and bringing in a new staff, what has changed? Imo it all comes down to something else. I won't say it because I dont want to seem like I'm lobbying to have changes made if you read btwn the line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SJR 04 said:

That's not really true. On the surface it is, but the truth is nothing has changed at PC but the staff. They still had over 10 transfers. So aside from removing the livin sign, and bringing in a new staff, what has changed? Imo it all comes down to something else. I won't say it because I dont want to seem like I'm lobbying to have changes made if you read btwn the line.

Livin was everything. You see it on Twitter. Alumni were pissed off that livin was dead. Well guess who has some sort of influence alumni. 

With PC dying look at Bergen they are getting players they didnt get 5-6 years ago. There seems to have been a change there. 

When you go all in on athletics your gonna attract talent and your gonna let some students in that maybe are not as qualified as others. If you close that loophole you are gonna lose talent

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Livin was everything. You see it on Twitter. Alumni were pissed off that livin was dead. Well guess who has some sort of influence alumni. 

With PC dying look at Bergen they are getting players they didnt get 5-6 years ago. There seems to have been a change there. 

When you go all in on athletics your gonna attract talent and your gonna let some students in that maybe are not as qualified as others. If you close that loophole you are gonna lose talent

1000% correct. Everytime Bergen shows up on ESPN, guess what's gonna happen to enrollment?!

• Like 2