A deeply disturbing and most extraordinary event

DarterBlue

As those of you who read my market posts know, I have been bearish on the financial markets since early October. For the most part, this has been justified in recent market action. Well last evening, in an interview, our President, DJT, stated that he was totally unhappy with the actions of the Fed Chairman, Jerome Powell, and would not have appointed him had he know what he was going to do. 

Well today, in an unprecedented capitulation, Mr. Powell (I am not sure he deserves the title), said in a NYC speech before a gathering of luminaries that the Fed is now of the position that rates need not go much higher from here in order to meet Fed targets. So, the USA, now has a President making Fed policy. SHMDFH!

As far as I am concerned, with this move, we are essentially finished as a great nation. For once the politicians, particularly one as corrupt and economically illiterate as the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania makes monetary policy, Zimbabwean style inflation cannot be far off. Yes, we still have great power as most major things are dollar denominated (we are currently the world's reserve currency, courtesy of the Bretton Woods agreement made shortly before the conclusion of WW2). However, if this is not a signal of the end, I don't know what is. 

Needless to say, I lost a lot of money today. While the losses stung, I am far more concerned with the precedent of last night's statement and the subsequent action of the Fed Chairman. This is not normal and is not indicative of how things work in a world power.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

As those of you who read my market posts know, I have been bearish on the financial markets since early October. For the most part, this has been justified in recent market action. Well last evening, in an interview, our President, DJT, stated that he was totally unhappy with the actions of the Fed Chairman, Jerome Powell, and would not have appointed him had he know what he was going to do. 

Well today, in an unprecedented capitulation, Mr. Powell (I am not sure he deserves the title), said in a NYC speech before a gathering of luminaries that the Fed is now of the position that rates need not go much higher from here in order to meet Fed targets. So, the USA, now has a President making Fed policy. SHMDFH!

As far as I am concerned, with this move, we are essentially finished as a great nation. For once the politicians, particularly one as corrupt and economically illiterate as the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania makes monetary policy, Zimbabwean style inflation cannot be far off. Yes, we still have great power as most major things are dollar denominated (we are currently the world's reserve currency, courtesy of the Bretton Woods agreement made shortly before the conclusion of WW2). However, if this is not a signal of the end, I don't know what is. 

Needless to say, I lost a lot of money today. While the losses stung, I am far more concerned with the precedent of last night's statement and the subsequent action of the Fed Chairman. This is not normal and is not indicative of how things work in a world power.  

I guess powell wants to keep his job. And knows he will be long gone very soon if he keeps screwing with the interest rates at the rates that he is doing it. I understand you know more about this subject than me and I'm not arguing that level of knowledge at all but from what I understand the fed did not raise interest rates at this rate under obama

The above action may also ensure that we end up with the mother of all stock market and debt bubbles. How we eventually extract ourselves from this when it comes crashing down is beyond my capacity to comprehend. 

I never realized how fragile our institutions were till Trump came along. I shudder to imagine where this will all end. 

• Like 3

Just now, HSFBfan said:

I guess powell wants to keep his job. And knows he will be long gone very soon if he keeps screwing with the interest rates at the rates that he is doing it. I understand you know more about this subject than me and I'm not arguing that level of knowledge at all but from what I understand the fed did not raise interest rates at this rate under obama

Trump does not have the direct authority to remove him from power. It was one of the safeguards built into the American system that was there to ward off politicians from injecting their short term benefits at the detriment to the country. 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Trump does not have the direct authority to remove him from power. It was one of the safeguards built into the American system that was there to ward off politicians from injecting their short term benefits at the detriment to the country. 

Gotcha. I did not know that. But at the same time trump must have some idea of how to get rid of him no?? Has a fed chairman been removed in our history? 

Just now, DarterBlue said:

It is a direct consequence of this horrible action on the part of the Fed Chair. He essentially caved and is now officially Trump's bitch!

And people made a lot of money today. There were saying few months ago Dow could hit 30k soon. Were at 25 and about 1900 points down from the high. 

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Gotcha. I did not know that. But at the same time trump must have some idea of how to get rid of him no?? Has a fed chairman been removed in our history? 

A President may chose not to reappoint one at the end of hi/hers term. However, the Fed Chair has a term of four years, similar to the duration between Presidential elections. 

No doubt Powell is Trump's bitch!

6 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

And people made a lot of money today. There were saying few months ago Dow could hit 30k soon. Were at 25 and about 1900 points down from the high. 

So you would rather short term gains at the expense of economic stability? No wonder we are where we are right now!

It's a damn shame!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

A President may chose not to reappoint one at the end of hi/hers term. However, the Fed Chair has a term of four years, similar to the duration between Presidential elections. 

No doubt Powell is Trump's bitch!

So you would rather short term gains at the expense of economic stability? No wonder we are where we are right now!

It's a damn shame!

As baby boomers in this country are hitting retirement and they make up a lot of the stock market I'm sure they are happy that the stock market is doing well. 

Stability has to be able to be achieved better than just raising interest rates every couple of months. Has to be a different way 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Needless to say, I lost a lot of money today....

Something tells me that you have lost the ability to separate your investments......

….from your emotions 🤔

THAT is why you lost money today, but feel free to blame it on your boy T.

PS. Not a very good place to be....for an investor.

46 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:
54 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

It's a damn shame!

An even BIGGER 'damn shame'...….

Hearing someone who is shorting the market, and betting against the house doing well, for the sake of short term gains...……….berating someone simply stating happiness that the market and by extension our economy, did well...

YES...."No wonder we ..er..'you' are where you are right now".....

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Troll said:

Something tells me that you have lost the ability to separate your investments......

….from your emotions 🤔

Hearing someone who is shorting the market, and betting against the house doing well, for the sake of short term gains...……….berating someone simply stating happiness that the market and by extension our economy, did well...

Ding, ding, ding!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

It's a damn shame!

That is how Trump ran his business. Live for today and let them crash and burn while you walk away. Not sure how a country walks away from itself though. 

Trump has pretty much done this same thing on many fronts. 

I said this months ago. He has already done too much damage, we will never be the power were were pre-Trump again. Never. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

As baby boomers in this country are hitting retirement and they make up a lot of the stock market I'm sure they are happy that the stock market is doing well. 

Stability has to be able to be achieved better than just raising interest rates every couple of months. Has to be a different way 

The market has been flat all year.Doing well was under Obie, for yearssssss. 

5 minutes ago, noonereal said:

That is how Trump ran his business. Live for today and let them crash and burn while you walk away. Not sure how a courety walks away from itself though. 

I said this months ago. He has already done too much damage, we will never be the power were were pre-Trump again. Never. 

Yawn.  Johnny One-Note

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, noonereal said:

The market has been flat all year.Doing well was under Three billion $$$$$ a day, directly injected into the market... printed from thin air under Obie , for yearssssss. 

FIFY

or did you just forget to leave out that part...

http://demonocracy.info/infographics/usa/federal_reserve-qe3/money_printing-2012-2013.html

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Troll said:

….from your emotions 🤔

1. I never lose my ability to separate my trades from my emotions. I have no problem taking my losses. That is what keeps me in the game. I do have a problem with our POTUS making interest rate policy.

2. I lost a lot of money today solely because of POTUS's statement that led to the capitulation of the FED Chair. What matters now is how I react to the new reality we are now exposed to: the fact Trump now makes interest rate policy!

3. The essence of financial markets is that they are an arbiter of differences of opinion. My going short is not betting against the house. It represents an expression of opinion on where we go in the intermediate term. Also, the market doing well is often separated from the economy doing well (the opposite is also sometimes true). 

But you miss the essence of my point, probably intentionally. My point is that the President, for obvious reasons, should not be making monetary policy.

I know for sure you know better for you actually are intelligent and fairly knowledgeable. You are the only right wing person on this message board that actually makes me think through your comments before responding on a regular basis. It is why I advocated for your return during your absence. 

8 hours ago, noonereal said:

That is how Trump ran his business. Live for today and let them crash and burn while you walk away. Not sure how a country walks away from itself though

That is exactly right! Trump was always a poor man's version of Ronald Perelman. Those that do business with him are doomed to lose.

Trump, unlike Bezos or Jobs, regardless of what you think of them, has never been about "creating value;" on the contrary, he is an appropriator of the wealth of others via theft of one sort or another. That he is now pulling off the biggest con of his career should be disturbing to anyone with an independent mind as the consequences of this will probably be disastrous. 

3 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

1. I never lose my ability to separate my trades from my emotions.<<Maybe so...but you certainly don't sound like it...certainly hoping you are correct here.. I have no problem taking my losses. That is what keeps me in the game.<<<It's actually just your money that keeps you in the game...losses have a way of interfering with that, eye on the ball please... I do have a problem with our POTUS making interest rate policy.<<<apparently so LOL

2. I lost a lot of money today solely because of POTUS's statement that led to the capitulation of the FED Chair.<<<NO you lost money solely because you were shorting the market and misjudged...talk about excuses LOL... What matters now is how I react to the new reality we are now exposed to:  <<ok the fact Trump now makes interest rate policy!<<<running with that one has not been that good for you now has it???

3. The essence of financial markets is that they are an arbiter of differences of opinion.<<ok My going short is not betting against the house.<<LOL if you think not.... you are clueless... It represents an expression of opinion on where we go in the intermediate term. <<maybe if you were a global bank, shorting the market with your so called 'OPINION' (LOLOL) investment (of actual $$) could sway the market, but alas your "opinion's" (LOLOL) expression means little but the cash $ you pumped in... Also, the market doing well is often separated from the economy doing well (the opposite is also sometimes true). <<<you mean like when the economy and jobs etc suck big time, yet the market rockets with billions of $$$ printed from thin air directly injected into it???  Yeah we know...the Obama era proved that one, did it not???

But you miss the essence of my point, probably intentionally.<<<nah I think I got it... My point is that the President, for obvious reasons, should not be making monetary policy.<<<Yup, that's the one....sorry that nothing in the tangent you ranted, even remotely backs up that proposition ...

I know for sure you know better for you actually are intelligent and fairly knowledgeable.<<agreed LOLOLOL ...JK You are the only right wing person (more accurately not that far right from center, but yes, many times right leaning) on this message board that actually makes me think through your comments before responding on a regular basis. <<<That's just because my comments often come out cryptic (or require a certain level of understanding)...sorry bout that...It is why I advocated for your return during your absence. <<did not know that (I was not here remember? lolol), but thank you.. 

And just so you know I am not trying to beat you up or 'kick someone when down'' etc., but it's just some of the things you try to tie together when emotional, don't ring true to me...

I would be kind of interested in your response or thoughts to my last post...Twist and Quantitative easing.....printed BILLIONS daily from thin air, to artificially pump the market...……...good deal or no???   Say Trump's administration decided to 'roll with that one' as well (and REALLY press the markets like O admin did)....

I would guess your response to be something like.....OH, it was great, cause we needed it then, but now it would be silly....

am I correct???

3 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Trump, unlike Bezos or Jobs, regardless of what you think of them, has never been about "creating value;" 

He extracts wealth from others... exactly

Now he is "learning" you can't do this country to country. It's simply not working. 

He has torn up deal after deal in an attempt to "extract" value and to date not a single success. 

Like NAFTA. We are no better off, he settled for the same just different with Mexico. I would not be surprised if we lost in net when all is said and done. 

Trans Pacific Partnership? All we can hope to do at this point is stem the bleeding from the gash we caused without provocation. 

Iran? A disaster. N. Korean, a wild, unthinkable success for little Kim. China? We would have been better off in adult negotiations. We we will get less concessions this way. Europe? I don't even what to think of the needless damage. Obie had just calmed the troubles Bush caused and now Trump, with astounding ignorance, is making W look smart! Something previously thought impossible. . 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, noonereal said:

He extracts wealth from others... exactly

Now he is "learning" you can't do this country to country. It's simply not working. 

He has torn up deal after deal in an attempt to "extract" value and to date not a single success. 

Like NAFTA. We are no better off, he settled for the same just different with Mexico. I would not be surprised if we lost in net when all is said and done. 

Trans Pacific Partnership? All we can hope to do at this point is stem the bleeding from the gash we caused without provocation. 

Iran? A disaster. N. Korean, a wild, unthinkable success for little Kim. China? We would have been better off in adult negotiations. We we will get less concessions this way. Europe? I don't even what to think of the needless damage. Obie had just calmed the troubles Bush caused and now Trump, with astounding ignorance, is making W look smart! Something previously thought impossible. . 

giphy.gifWe

1 hour ago, Troll said:

And just so you know I am not trying to beat you up or 'kick someone when down'' etc., but it's just some of the things you try to tie together when emotional, don't ring true to me...

I would be kind of interested in your response or thoughts to my last post...Twist and Quantitative easing.....printed BILLIONS daily from thin air, to artificially pump the market...……...good deal or no???   Say Trump's administration decided to 'roll with that one' as well (and REALLY press the markets like O admin did)....

I would guess your response to be something like.....OH, it was great, cause we needed it then, but now it would be silly....

am I correct???

I will give you a detailed response to the above and to some of your responses to my comments this evening. I am on a gig this week and want to take the time to give you an honest, thought out response. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

I will give you a detailed response to the above and to some of your responses to my comments this evening. I am on a gig this week and want to take the time to give you an honest, thought out response. 

That's cool, I really got to get off and get some stuff done here too...

you have inspired me...LOL...

will catch up with you later 👍

On 11/28/2018 at 4:17 PM, DarterBlue said:

The blame should be placed on Powell as well. Not only did he do Trumps bidding but he was protecting himself as well.  He does not want to be viewed as the Fed chairman who crashed the market like Greenspan was in 2000 even though raising interest rates would be the right thing to do at the current time.  Trump wants the interest rates low so the markets stay high and stroke his ego, Powell won't raise them because he does not want to be seen as a bad guy.  JMO.

• Like 2