New DeMatha Head Coach

BigDrop

44 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Does anyone know if a decision has been made on who?  I cannot imagine they will go into the Christmas break without a decision.

Surprised that Josh Wilson has not been named yet...he was supposedly the guy that the administration wanted and Coach Brooks recommended. Rumors that some players would leave if he got the job may be true. Alumni want McGregor back but doubt that happens. The Pallotti coach and the Spalding coach have also been mentioned. Sounds like a little drama in Hyattsville.

Does anyone know how old Bill McGregor is? This is not an easy job. He’s not an X’s and O’s coach, he’s a motivator. I’d be shocked if he took the job right now. Alumni can say whatever they want, this decision will be made by Dr. McMahon and the board. After Morgan left, Mike Jones was the last person alumni brought up. Elijah Brooks was an even longer shot after McGregor stepped down. 

My best guess is Josh is the leading candidate, but he also has to accept the job. It’s a lot. I think DM names the new HC mid January. 

7 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Does anyone know how old Bill McGregor is? This is not an easy job. He’s not an X’s and O’s coach, he’s a motivator. I’d be shocked if he took the job right now. Alumni can say whatever they want, this decision will be made by Dr. McMahon and the board. After Morgan left, Mike Jones was the last person alumni brought up. Elijah Brooks was an even longer shot after McGregor stepped down. 

My best guess is Josh is the leading candidate, but he also has to accept the job. It’s a lot. I think DM names the new HC mid January. 

Good post.  

In an August 2011 article in the Baltimore Sun Bill was noted as “62” then when he joined Biff.  Today 69 or 70 would be an educated guess.

I also wonder how much longer SJC’s coach will stay.  He is about the same age.  Turning 70 can introduce a whole new perspective on life.

....I relate to both.

FWIW:  Josh Wilson has 13 tweets since 12/18-all about DeMatha and/or their players and accomplishments.  From early September through early December he only tweeted occasionally.

If I thought I had a serious chance of taking over a program I would certainly want to keep the program’s name alive.  Especially if I want to hold onto players while also letting 8th graders and possible transfers know the tradition will continue.

At my age I notice obscure little things like this.  Of course my wife would say I obsess on that which is almost always meaningless.

And want to know what I am looking at on Twitter?

12 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Unrelated, how would the Delmarva guys rank these five regional teams as of today? Thx. 

SFA

SJC

DMC

Zaga

GC 

It’s been a crazy year...My best shot, not easy...

1. Gonzaga - have to give it them. They showed up when it mattered and that means something.

2. SJC - most talented and best wins 

3. DM - Could of been #1 without the GZ Hail Mary.

4. SFA - I really don’t think they have the QB(he’s young) play to hang with DM or SJC.

5. GC - Lost QB1 and fell hard to DM at the end of the season. They’ll be back. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Good post.  

In an August 2011 article in the Baltimore Sun Bill was noted as “62” then when he joined Biff.  Today 69 or 70 would be an educated guess.

I also wonder how much longer SJC’s coach will stay.  He is about the same age.  Turning 70 can introduce a whole new perspective on life.

....I relate to both.

Thanks. I honestly didn’t know. McGregor was the best motivator I’ve ever seen in person. He poured his heart into the program. That would be rough for anyone at 70+. Also, DM doesn’t hire for 2-3 years. They want someone around for an extended amount of time. My best guess is McGregor is involved with the search with the DM admin but has not thrown his name in the hat. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Unrelated, how would the Delmarva guys rank these five regional teams as of today? Thx. 

SFA

SJC

DMC

Zaga

GC 

1)... SJC best team ...one ref-aided loss with toughest schedule 

2,3,4)  tie Gonz, SFA, DeM ...Gz got hot (and lucky) at right time but lost three league games...SFA has most talent (along with SJC) but schedule hurts them...DeM improved and right there with other two.

5) GC...QB injury was a killer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WCACguy said:

1)... SJC best team ...one ref-aided loss with toughest schedule 

2,3,4)  tie Gonz, SFA, DeM ...Gz got hot (and lucky) at right time but lost three league games...SFA has most talent (along with SJC) but schedule hurts them...DeM improved and right there with other two.

5) GC...QB injury was a killer.

I agree with SJC being the most talented team, but they don’t deserve to be #1. They didn’t even make the WCAC final. I’d respect you saying that 1-4 is a tie, but SJC doesn’t get the clear cut #1. Gonzaga is the WCAC Champ and has the best win(over then national top 5 SJC) in the league. Blaming it on refs is letting your bias take over. 

28 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

I agree with SJC being the most talented team, but they don’t deserve to be #1. They didn’t even make the WCAC final. I’d respect you saying that 1-4 is a tie, but SJC doesn’t get the clear cut #1. Gonzaga is the WCAC Champ and has the best win(over then national top 5 SJC) in the league. Blaming it on refs is letting your bias take over. 

Not blaming it on them but if they don't miss that call (which they admitted) SJC almost certainly wins...and if the two played 10 times I think SJC wins 7/8...you?

3 hours ago, WCACguy said:

Not blaming it on them but if they don't miss that call (which they admitted) SJC almost certainly wins...and if the two played 10 times I think SJC wins 7/8...you?

Yes, I’m with all that, but rankings are there for what is done on the field. They wouldn’t play games if it was a talent competition. Trust me,  I’m a DM guy, I’ve seen heavyweight DM teams take a back seat to less talented teams in rankings because they didn’t finish the job. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JCGIII said:

No love for Jerry Franks?

You remember Franks?  Wow!

Bill was an assistant on the DM team he took to Cincinnati to play Moeller in Faust’s last year (‘81?) I saw that game at UC which DM lost 35-0.  I think DM won the WMAC that year in spite of the loss.  Franks also took DM to CA in the late ‘70’s (Sacramento Woodlawn?).  He did well at DM but it was McGregor who really built the school’s football program.

Do you still have a home on the French Riviera?  You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

1 hour ago, BigDrop said:

You remember Franks?  Wow!

Bill was an assistant on the DM team he took to Cincinnati to play Moeller in Faust’s last year (‘81?) I saw that game at UC which DM lost 35-0.  I think DM won the WMAC that year in spite of the loss.  Franks also took DM to CA in the late ‘70’s (Sacramento Woodlawn?).  He did well at DM but it was McGregor who really built the school’s football program.

Do you still have a home on the French Riviera?  You live in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Yes, part owner with a few siblings and cousins. From Nice, take either the Grand Corniche, or more conveniently, the always crowded Basse Corniche, which runs at sea level beside the Mediterranean. At the turnoff for St Jean Cap Ferrat, make a right toward the water and another very sharp right on to Avenue Louise Bourdes, and you're there. My time is mid April, through May, after The Masters of course.  I have run of the place for the Grand Prix. Then it's big sisters turn, through mid July.

• Like 1

Perhaps the best time of the year to be there.  

I’ve been to Nice twice for trade shows where my wife joined me and we added several days to explore for each one. Furthest south was Marseilles, inland was Aix and south was San Remo.  But we turned off and intentionally got lost near St Jean Cap Ferrat just to explore.  On the other side of Nice we loved Cannes and the area south of it.

We stayed at the Negresco both times and made friends with their resident cat.  Really loved Nice, too.

You have superb taste, sir!

8 minutes ago, CODBEARD said:

One would guess McGregors guy Chris Baucia will follow.  I would also guess some of the players those two recruited into SFA from the DC area and VA will follow as well.. "Bring em home Bill" lol

The rumor is the OC Baucia and LB coach Ian Thomas, both DM alums, will be joining Bill. Both unbelievably connected on the DC/MD football scene and a massive reason for the talent at SFA. DeMatha returns a lot next season. It’s a very interesting situation. 

• Like 1

However Bill is very well respected thatI think you’re right about the recruiting aspect. Dematha was rumored to be losing a lot of kids if the hire went a certain way. I have to imagine now those kids are all staying. Thomas is a big recruiter lots of ties to the area. Bauscia is not a recruiter at all probably the opposite. If they are bringing the guys rumored though recruiting won’t be an issue. Bill is very well respected!

• Like 1