MNW - public Dade School state champion ... let's peel the onion a bit (transfers) - Lakeland added 7A champ public school

golfaddict1

image.png.185541c24e313ce921627413068754c1.png

Velez - transfer from NMB last year   (19 passes out of 20 from 2 transfers)  

Stringfield, Baptiste, Berry, Stuart, Delancy and Noel transfers   (36 of 38 carries from transfers)  

Noel - Receiving TD 65 yards (transfer)

image.png.e28a2d705ba7c31c3f0339fff02eb1fa.png

Lewis - transfer from BTW last year  (leading tackler)  

Kidd -  transfer from Hallandale last year  (2nd leading tackler)

Other transfers:  Smith, Stringfield, Burns 

10 solo of 22 tackles (transfers)  20 of 46 total tackles (transfers)  3 of 5 sacks  (transfers)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

image.png.185541c24e313ce921627413068754c1.png

Velez - transfer from NMB last year   (19 passes out of 20 from 2 transfers)  

Stringfield, Baptiste, Berry, Stuart, Delancy and Noel transfers   (36 of 38 carries from transfers)  

Noel - Receiving TD 65 yards (transfer)

image.png.e28a2d705ba7c31c3f0339fff02eb1fa.png

Lewis - transfer from BTW last year  (leading tackler)  

Kidd -  transfer from Hallandale last year  (2nd leading tackler)

Other transfers:  Smith, Stringfield, Burns 

10 solo of 22 tackles (transfers)  20 of 46 total tackles (transfers)  3 of 5 sacks  (transfers)  

Yeah but honestly

In Miami you might have 5-10 schools in a 3-5 mile radius (maybe more)

It's not as if these Miami schools are yanking players from hundreds of miles away, so many of these schools even share neighborhoods and therefore are working with same talent

Naturally a school with prestige of MNW will be a school a stud will pick over a less successful school

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Yeah but honestly

In Miami you might have 5-10 schools in a 3-5 mile radius (maybe more)

It's not as if these Miami schools are yanking players from hundreds of miles away, so many of these schools even share neighborhoods and therefore are working with same talent

Naturally a school with prestige of MNW will be a school a stud will pick over a less successful school

The QB, RB group and the two best defenders transferring to MNW reasons for doing so is fine with me.  It's allowed and it's nice to have choices.  Maybe some transferred for a ring too, who knows.   Good for them.   I don't like it, but I can accept it unless rules are being broken. 

I'm sure John O'Korn had a short commute living with family after moving from PA and attending STA.   Or the recruit from the Toronto area a few years back.    * Parents/sons make choices.  It's nice to have choices.    Is Dillard so far from STA or Miramar to land transfers.  Did these kids not play against each other as youngsters?  Some of the STA kids come from Dade.  There isn't a boundary for private schools obviously.   They have to come from somewhere.    

I was just reading about a top young recruit from Bergen Catholic this morning.   His hometown is close to where my sister lives and let me you that was one mutha of a commute to BC with NJ congestion.   He leaves for school very early and why?   To attend Bergen Catholic, not his local school.  He mentioned Greg Toal coaching him up as well as the academics.   * Parents/sons make choices.   It's nice to have choices.   

If things change at a school like a coaching change or the team dynamics are not fit for the recruit or an STA just graduated 4 starting in the secondary, maybe give it a go and I'll be coached by Sam Madison (and well that's gotta suck).  :)   

I'm in total favor of more stringent transfer rules... but this is the deck we are dealt here.   MNW was an example of a team that had transfer production that made STA blush.    

11 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

The QB, RB group and the two best defenders transferring to MNW reasons for doing so is fine with me.  It's allowed and it's nice to have choices.  Maybe some transferred for a ring too, who knows.   Good for them.   I don't like it, but I can accept it unless rules are being broken. 

I'm sure John O'Korn had a short commute living with family after moving from PA and attending STA.   Or the recruit from the Toronto area a few years back.    * Parents/sons make choices.  It's nice to have choices.    Is Dillard so far from STA or Miramar to land transfers.  Did these kids not play against each other as youngsters?  Some of the STA kids come from Dade.  There isn't a boundary for private schools obviously.   They have to come from somewhere.    

I was just reading about a top young recruit from Bergen Catholic this morning.   His hometown is close to where my sister lives and let me you that was one mutha of a commuted to BC with NJ congestion.   He leaves for school very early and why?   To attend Bergen Catholic, not his local school.  He mentioned Greg Toal coaching him up as well as the academics.   * Parents/sons make choices.   It's nice to have choices.   If things change at a school like a coaching change or the team dynamics are not fit for the recuit or an STA just graduated 4 starting in the secondary, maybe give it a go and I'll be coached by Sam Madison (and well that's gotta suck).  :)   

I'm in total favor of more stringent transfer rules... but this is deck we are dealt here.   MNW was an example of a team that had transfer production that made STA blush.    

Under the new rules I don't see a significant advantage for privates over publics (not saying there is none at all but not significant enough to separate them anymore)

The advantage STA holds has more to do with being in a talent loaded area like South Florida 

If STA were set up in say Jefferson County they wouldn't be the same team nor have the advantages they have now

Where someone like STA has a advantage over the publics in FL is they have far more resources for stuff like better facilities and coaches and it makes them a place attractive to other stud players, they also have a lot of former NFL players on staff which is a sell point in South Florida players especially Broward county 

Truthfully if the FL publics had the resources that TX Publics had they would still be a good team but they wouldn't appear to have a huge advantage over the other elite teams in the state

Hell I'll go a step further

The competitive split in FL has nothing to do with private or public

It's rural vs urban, the urban schools in talent rich areas are so far above the smaller counties in the state in terms of talent and with those rural schools not being able to keep their coaches we are seeing the gap increase drastically which is why we continue to have so many lopsided games in playoffs and in finals

On 1/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, Columbiafan said:

Under the new rules I don't see a significant advantage for privates over publics (not saying there is none at all but not significant enough to separate them anymore)

The advantage STA holds has more to do with being in a talent loaded area like South Florida 

If STA were set up in say Jefferson County they wouldn't be the same team nor have the advantages they have now

Where someone like STA has a advantage over the publics in FL is they have far more resources for stuff like better facilities and coaches and it makes them a place attractive to other stud players, they also have a lot of former NFL players on staff which is a sell point in South Florida players especially Broward county 

Truthfully if the FL publics had the resources that TX Publics had they would still be a good team but they wouldn't appear to have a huge advantage over the other elite teams in the state

On the FL forum this has been discussed, but not here...  Lakeland's peel the onion as another public school state champ who loaded up and it's comparison vs. STA with regards to their game and statistics.     If anyone reads above,  I have no issue with it other than it sucks for all.  It makes me cringe when I see STA transfers out due to the arrivals in and seeing kids with offers coming in as a junior and ready for spring ball and then to start as seniors, only to see transfers coming in to potentially drop on the depth chart and playing time reduced.     

Our Plant fan @181pl, might recall a few years back when Plant had 5 QB's were vying for a starting position and do you think they all stayed at Plant?   Speaking of QB transfers,  Lakeland has had two consecutive senior transfer starters.   STA got royally screwed in that dept last year,  a NIU commit transferred from Michigan and ended up 3rd string behind a Harvard commit and not sure where Engel is heading or even if he's playing at the next level.   

Anyways, the tale of the tape...

# of senior mercenaries one year football only:

STA 3  (4*Ingraham,4* Huff, 3*Hernandez). Hernandez backed up a FIU pwo vs Lakeland. 

Lakeland 5 (McWilliams QB, 4*Hammond who attended IMG junior year came back, 4*Summerall, Martin and Sheffield)

# of starters who were transfers (in parenthesis the total of transfers in the game who had a statistical impact or on 2 deep roster)

STA  7  starters (11 overall) one not sure about Malone OL, who did not commit anywhere and played at least 2 years at STA

Lakeland  11 (14 overall including the P/K who went 3 for 3 vs STA)... The STA placekicker who went 0-3 vs Lakeland accepted a PWO status and will attend Louisville.   

Golf I said it a while back after the new laws went into effect letting every team play by the same rules no matter public or private. 

Before then, STA would get a dozen high profile transfers every year, but when Armwood, Plant and Lakeland would get them just to keep up with the Wild Wild West South Florida, all hell broke loose. 

The law was designed to not punish publics for doing what every private in the state is allowed to do every day. Which is get kids from outside the neighborhood boundaries. 

I told Canes then that it will only be a matter of time that the publics North of Palm Beach County catch up. And you are seeing it start to come to fruition 

17 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Golf I said it a while back after the new laws went into effect letting every team play by the same rules no matter public or private. 

Before then, STA would get a dozen high profile transfers every year, but when Armwood, Plant and Lakeland would get them just to keep up with the Wild Wild West South Florida, all hell broke loose. 

The law was designed to not punish publics for doing what every private in the state is allowed to do every day. Which is get kids from outside the neighborhood boundaries. 

I told Canes then that it will only be a matter of time that the publics North of Palm Beach County catch up. And you are seeing it start to come to fruition 

43 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

On the FL forum this has been discussed, but not here...  Lakeland's peel the onion as another public school state champ who loaded up and it's comparison vs. STA with regards to their game and statistics.     If anyone reads above,  I have no issue with it other than it sucks for all.  It makes me cringe when I see STA transfers out due to the arrivals in and seeing kids with offers coming in as a junior and ready for spring ball and then to start as seniors, only to see transfers coming in to potentially drop on the depth chart and playing time reduced.     

Our Plant fan @181pl, might recall a few years back when Plant had 5 QB's were vying for a starting position and do you think they all stayed at Plant?   Speaking of QB transfers,  Lakeland has had two consecutive senior transfer starters.   STA got royally screwed in that dept last year,  a NIU commit transferred from Michigan and ended up 3rd string behind a Harvard commit and not sure where Engel is heading or even if he's playing at the next level.   

STA 3  (4*Ingraham,4* Huff, 3*Hernandez). Hernandez backed up a FIU pwo vs Lakeland. 

Lakeland 5 (McWilliams QB, 4*Hammond who attended IMG junior year came back, 4*Summerall, Martin and Sheffield)

# of starters who were transfers (in parenthesis the total of transfers in the game who had a statistical impact or on 2 deep roster)

STA  7  starters (11 overall) one not sure about Malone OL, who did not commit anywhere and played at least 2 years at STA

Lakeland  11 (14 overall including the P/K who went 3 for 3 vs STA)... The STA placekicker who went 0-3 vs Lakeland accepted a PWO status and will attend Louisville.   

If you truly look at STA and who they are picking up as transfers now they aren't up to quality of players they had even a few years ago

Go back and look at 2015 roster and tell me with a straight face that their rosters last 2 seasons or even current roster heading into 2019 matches up

56 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

STA isn't a bad team but unless things change quickly then it might be a while before STA is the national power they were during that 3 peat or previously under George Smith 

Their whole foundation is former NFL players turned asst coaches who attract stud players from public schools around South Florida. 

If they can’t meet the demand that the foundation requires, the whole thing crumbles 

50 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Their whole foundation is former NFL players turned asst coaches who attract stud players from public schools around South Florida. 

If they can’t meet the demand that the foundation requires, the whole thing crumbles 

Well that formula isn't working as much now as a few years ago 

Just look at the overall quality of the current transfers vs the ones they picked up from U school when that program almost folded

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

If you truly look at STA and who they are picking up as transfers now they aren't up to quality of players they had even a few years ago

STA is more than just transfers... sure it helps as it does with public school state champs.  If we are going to focus on transfers, then let's focus on MNW and Lakeland and other schools too.    

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

... and yet idiots still got caught.   You still have to do it the right way and go to the school's admin. first.   STA has had a target on their backs since Michael Irvin had to sit a year because Piper was pissed he left for athletic reasons.    That was then, this is now.  

Private school with football focus in Broward County and for having such a weak coaching staff has never lost a recruit to IMG.  The great Bill Castle has.  

The law was designed for that and for kids to have choices basically.  

What publics?    Quality teams who get some transfers in can be very good, public or private in FL and based on metro proximity the transfers will increase as @Columbiafan mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

STA is more than just transfers... sure it helps as it does with public school state champs.  If we are going to focus on transfers, then let's focus on MNW and Lakeland and other schools too.    

No STA don't need transfers to be good but a lot of those transfers like the ones they got from U school (I believe Scarlett and Bruce were both U school guys)

That took them from state elite to national elite

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

Public and private.  Sam Madison left the DB spot to coach in the NFL, a former DB coach is back.   I don't expect a mass transfer out situation (although there should be as there are too many there as it is).  

Yep, 38-0 vs. DeMatha is clear sign STA is crumbling 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

2017 team beat SJB only to lose to 3 publics

One win doesn't disprove a trend

I don't think STA crumbling but I don't think they are as strong now as in the past, they are more beatable by good FL teams than they were during that 3 peat

They just aren't attracting the same level of players that they did a few years ago

For a simple comparison

Before they would be attracting 4 star and high 3 stars

Now they attracting 2 stars and low 3 stars

Not a huge drop but it is a drop

One solid poster on the other forum... I dig that guy's research.   This is in regards to 2020 class juniors highly rated in FL.   Who leads the list, shocker.    

Javon Ferguson is now at Carol City by the way, he transferred in from BTW I believe the year prior and with Restrepo, Freeman, Brewton,  Rosemy  etc. at WR, probably a good move to transfer.    STA did get Griffin Lampton back from a year at PBC (HC at PBC, who was also their DC left for GA and the STA seniors at his position left for college and back he is).  

https://floridahsfootball.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4736-how-many-of-floridas-top-95-juniors-transferred-over-the-past-2-seasons/

9 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

I told everyone back in August that Lakeland had loaded up. But, all anyone wanted to say was that there were no great teams on the schedule. As if if the schedule actually tells you about the power of the team. 🤦‍♂️

That said, some of the transfers you mention, at least for Lakeland, are pretty iffy. A LB transferred from Prattville (Al). As you said, OL Hammond was a Lakeland kid who simply came back from IMG, the K/P moved from the Gulf coast area. And the Sheffield kid you mentioned may not have played a down all year.

Bottom line is, EVERYONE is benefiting from transfers now. Also significant, but rarely mentioned, is how the talent still ends up stacked disproportionately at places even if the kids are there all four years. Schools like Lakeland have been dominant for so long that all of the up and coming youth league players tend to try to get set up at the known power before day 1 of 9th grade.

So, the real issue is the mentality of kids wanting to all join together to play on stacked teams. Can blame Lebron, Wade and Bosh for that trend IMO.

• Like 1