CTE at high school level

Columbiafan

@HSFBfan remember our debate over needing better equipment at a younger age

https://consumer.healthday.com/kids-health-information-23/child-safety-news-587/brain-condition-cte-seen-in-h-s-football-players-study-743006.html

I did say that many of the significant head injuries happen long before someone reach the college or NFL level (where they finally have proper equipment made available to them) 

I know it's only one study but the results support that many of the head injuries that are built up happen much earlier in life which supports that better equipment and training is needed at the Pop Warner, youth, middle and high school level 

I love the sport of football but if people truly want the sport to survive than there needs to be better training and equipment at a much younger age or it will only get worse and the participation will continue to drop

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Nope but there are ones on the market that provide a better protection of concussions

Ok say they get new equipment CTE may be mitigated but it's never going to be a non factor. So you're basically saying you have an acceptable level of CTE. And since you have a sliding scale it will essentially never be satisfied no matter the measures teams take for player safety. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mustangman21 said:

Ok say they get new equipment CTE may be mitigated but it's never going to be a non factor. So you're basically saying you have an acceptable level of CTE. And since you have a sliding scale it will essentially never be satisfied no matter the measures teams take for player safety. 

Couldn't the same be applied to any injury?

Injuries aren't gonna be 100 percent preventable but wouldn't it be smart to use equipment which could lower the chances??

If the equipment is there it can help and the safer the game can be while still providing all the good that comes with the sport the longer the lifespan of the sport will have

• Like 1

The reason behind the post is to show that players may have enough brain damage to get the effects of CTE before they make it to the college level which may be first time they get to use the proper equipment which could lower the chances of getting it but if they already suffering from it than what good is having the equipment later gonna do

If they could get that same equipment at a earlier age than maybe they can play the sport all the way through and not have something that will slowly cripple them 

Maybe than these people can play the sport they love and still be able to live a full life after the fact

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

The reason behind the post is to show that players may have enough brain damage to get the effects of CTE before they make it to the college level which may be first time they get to use the proper equipment which could lower the chances of getting it but if they already suffering from it than what good is having the equipment later gonna do

If they could get that same equipment at a earlier age than maybe they can play the sport all the way through and not have something that will slowly cripple them 

Maybe than these people can play the sport they love and still be able to live a full life after the fact

The problem with your premise is most players develop CTE in the higher levels of the game (College/Pro) and that's using (by your theory) better equipment. So it really didn't seem to make much of a difference.

1 minute ago, mustangman21 said:

The problem with your premise is most players develop CTE in the higher levels of the game (College/Pro) and that's using (by your theory) better equipment. So it really didn't seem to make much of a difference.

CTE isn't a one time injury, it's a buildup of head injuries

True the longer you play the more likely to develop it, just like the longer a boxer career goes the more health problems down the line

However studies like these show that many of these injuries can be documented and that even some reach CTE stage before they even hit the college level 

3 minutes ago, mustangman21 said:

Do they develop it that late or is it just discovered because by that point they have better doctors doing a evaluation of injuries that they may not have received at previous levels of play?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mustangman21 said:

Nobody knows yet. 

Exactly so how can we say that the equipment doesn't help since many players already have a long history of head injuries before ever getting to use the newer equipment designed to reduce concussions

That's why I'm saying if we could get that equipment used from the start than we can find out if the equipment truly can reduce the long term head damage suffered from playing football 

4 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

@HSFBfan remember our debate over needing better equipment at a younger age

https://consumer.healthday.com/kids-health-information-23/child-safety-news-587/brain-condition-cte-seen-in-h-s-football-players-study-743006.html

I did say that many of the significant head injuries happen long before someone reach the college or NFL level (where they finally have proper equipment made available to them) 

I know it's only one study but the results support that many of the head injuries that are built up happen much earlier in life which supports that better equipment and training is needed at the Pop Warner, youth, middle and high school level 

I love the sport of football but if people truly want the sport to survive than there needs to be better training and equipment at a much younger age or it will only get worse and the participation will continue to drop

Nobody cares

1 minute ago, HSFBfan said:

Nobody cares

Why are you so against the idea of players playing the sport with equipment designed to handle it properly

Why would you want all the players to be wheelchair bound and suffering later in life if it's completely preventable

Many of these athletes play because they have to, many do it because it's the only way to live a good life and avoid being sucked into drugs and gangs 

9 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Why are you so against the idea of players playing the sport with equipment designed to handle it properly

Why would you want all the players to be wheelchair bound and suffering later in life if it's completely preventable

Many of these athletes play because they have to, many do it because it's the only way to live a good life and avoid being sucked into drugs and gangs 

For the simple fact that I personally dont care about any of them. I watch football for the violence. I watch football for the huge hits that are being taken out of the game. Without the violence in the sport it makes it almost impossible to watch. 

17 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

For the simple fact that I personally dont care about any of them. I watch football for the violence. I watch football for the huge hits that are being taken out of the game. Without the violence in the sport it makes it almost impossible to watch. 

They wouldn't have had to make these rule changes if better equipment and training was done

You can get violent hits with the better equipment, a better helmet doesn't stop them from hitting their opponent hard 

3 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

They wouldn't have had to make these rule changes if better equipment and training was done

You can get violent hits with the better equipment, a better helmet doesn't stop them from hitting their opponent hard 

I brought up the hard hitting because that's clearly being taken out of the game making the game harder to watch for fans.

They wouldn't have had to make rule changes if we ha judges in this country that didnt side with the players over the NFL. 

20 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I brought up the hard hitting because that's clearly being taken out of the game making the game harder to watch for fans.

They wouldn't have had to make rule changes if we ha judges in this country that didnt side with the players over the NFL. 

They sided with the players because of the NFL doctors who covered up injuries to get them back on the field which is 100 percent fair

Blame the trainers who only looked after the interest of the teams

Also again you have yet to explain how better equipment will cause violent hits to go away, if anything the hits could have stayed as huge hits had better protection and training on how to properly tackle was in place

You don't have to dive head first into a player to lay them out, I've seen plenty of powerful and painful hits that were using the "head up" method that play60 been trying to teach to players coming up through youth league these days

8 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

They sided with the players because of the NFL doctors who covered up injuries to get them back on the field which is 100 percent fair

Blame the trainers who only looked after the interest of the teams

Also again you have yet to explain how better equipment will cause violent hits to go away, if anything the hits could have stayed as huge hits had better protection and training on how to properly tackle was in place

You don't have to dive head first into a player to lay them out, I've seen plenty of powerful and painful hits that were using the "head up" method that play60 been trying to teach to players coming up through youth league these days

Sorry I dont blame the trainers I dont blame the coaches I dont blame the owners. 

Because they will bring in this better equipment some kid will get hurt than they'll bitch about this equipment it's a joke. Its football. Chances are your going to get hurt deal with it.

It's like bull riding. These guys wear helmets now instead of their cowboy hats. Looks so stupid. 

20 minutes ago, mustangman21 said:

How is it hard to figure out running into people as fast as you can over a long period of time is probably bad for your health? When you sign up to play, you accept those facts imho. 

That doesn't mean we have to go out of our way to make sure they are completely crippled by time they retire

Especially when many use it as a career because they have no chance of survival otherwise

9 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

That doesn't mean we have to go out of our way to make sure they are completely crippled by time they retire

Especially when many use it as a career because they have no chance of survival otherwise

It's almost like you forget that this game has been played for 150 years, sometimes with no helmet, leather helmet, suspension helmet, etc. 

Yes some of those guys died/fucked up their brains. A whole bunch more didn't. I mean we're talking about Millions of men that have played football vs maybe 1000 confirmed CTE cases. Maybe those numbers will change. What to you is an acceptable % of CTE vs non CTE retired players?

I'm fine with you wanting players to wear the best equipment available. But to somehow force the league to subsidize that is ridiculous. Put on a car wash or a fundraiser and buy it as a team. 

4 minutes ago, mustangman21 said:

It's almost like you forget that this game has been played for 150 years, sometimes with no helmet, leather helmet, suspension helmet, etc. 

Yes some of those guys died/fucked up their brains. A whole bunch more didn't. I mean we're talking about Millions of men that have played football vs maybe 1000 confirmed CTE cases. Maybe those numbers will change. What to you is an acceptable % of CTE vs non CTE retired players?

I'm fine with you wanting players to wear the best equipment available. But to somehow force the league to subsidize that is ridiculous. Put on a car wash or a fundraiser and buy it as a team. 

Most teams normally do charity in their teams region

Just have them do it as a donation and slowly filter the helmets into the youth groups

4 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

I just think that we should at least try to make a effort to get the proper equipment at a younger age so the sport can be preserved for the long term

Your idea makes too much sense and the NFL and even some of the college money, that they don't give to students, should go for better equipment.  They are their future employees after all and it would be an investment of sorts.  

• Like 3