Ohio Week 8 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

Elder (6-1) @ Winton Woods (5-2) - Elder 42 WW 35

Last week Elder destroyed Moeller 42-6, with Moe's only score coming on the final play of the game. 

Winton Woods beat up an overmatched Edgewood team, winning 55-20. Miyan Williams has been resting trying to heal his ankle injury. The word is that Miyan will play this week. 

Winton Woods has given Elder a lot of trouble in recent years. WW has won 3 of the last 4 matchups with Elder, and if not for a missed XP in OT, might have won all 4. Like most teams that give Elder trouble, WW has tons of speed. Elder's always been great offensively; while ever since their 2003 championship team, they've been lacking on the defensive side of the ball. The difference this year is how Good Elder is on the OLine. They are very big and play great. Add in their good QB Luebbe, their capable RB's, good WR's, and the uncoverable Royer at TE, and you have an offense that can really score......Winton Woods has struggled without Miyan Williams. In both the Eds and Christian Bros. losses, Miyan left the game in the first half injured. I see a close game that I think Elder will win because they will control the LOS and they have the far superior coaching staff to make adjustments. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see WW win though.

St. Xavier (6-1) vs. La Salle (6-1) - St. X 28 La Salle 14

St. X didn't fall into the trap of overlooking Clarkson North. X took care of business and beat them 44-6.

La Salle got a reality check by losing to CovCath 27-7. CovCath beat La Salle with a good combination of rushing and passing. CovCath has only lost one game over the last 3 seasons; the state championship last year. 

La Salle hasn't played much of schedule yet, and now they are getting into the meat of it. St. X has been pretty dominant over La Salle in this matchup, and I don't see aything out of La Salle this season to change that. 

7 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Elder (6-1) @ Winton Woods (5-2) - Elder 42 WW 35

Last week Elder destroyed Moeller 42-6, with Moe's only score coming on the final play of the game. 

Winton Woods beat up an overmatched Edgewood team, winning 55-20. Miyan Williams has been resting trying to heal his ankle injury. The word is that Miyan will play this week. 

Winton Woods has given Elder a lot of trouble in recent years. WW has won 3 of the last 4 matchups with Elder, and if not for a missed XP in OT, might have won all 4. Like most teams that give Elder trouble, WW has tons of speed. Elder's always been great offensively; while ever since their 2003 championship team, they've been lacking on the defensive side of the ball. The difference this year is how Good Elder is on the OLine. They are very big and play great. Add in their good QB Luebbe, their capable RB's, good WR's, and the uncoverable Royer at TE, and you have an offense that can really score......Winton Woods has struggled without Miyan Williams. In both the Eds and Christian Bros. losses, Miyan left the game in the first half injured. I see a close game that I think Elder will win because they will control the LOS and they have the far superior coaching staff to make adjustments. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see WW win though.

St. Xavier (6-1) vs. La Salle (6-1) - St. X 28 La Salle 14

St. X didn't fall into the trap of overlooking Clarkson North. X took care of business and beat them 44-6.

La Salle got a reality check by losing to CovCath 27-7. CovCath beat La Salle with a good combination of rushing and passing. CovCath has only lost one game over the last 3 seasons; the state championship last year. 

La Salle hasn't played much of schedule yet, and now they are getting into the meat of it. St. X has been pretty dominant over La Salle in this matchup, and I don't see aything out of La Salle this season to change that. 

Lasalle shut's down St. X and comes out with a 10 point win.

9 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Lasalle shut's down St. X and comes out with a 10 point win.

And the Yankee's are going to sweep the Astros...... 

First of all, both CovCath and LaSalle schedules are horrible this year.  Average at best.  So last weeks game showed that Cov Cath is better than LaSalle.....that's all.  

StX wins this game by 2 TD's or better.  

Definitely the top two games this week in the Buckeye state. Assuming Williams suits up for WW, we should really see if the Elder defense has turned a corner.  If not, that could be a shoot-out type game. But I do favor Elder in that scenario. I also like the Bombers over LaSalle. 

Elsewhere around the state, not too many marquee matchups. Ignatius makes the road trip to Cincy to face Moeller, and barring a colossal let down after last weeks physical game against Ed's, should walk out with an easy victory. Ed's will host the northern marauders from Ontario and must similarly avoid a letdown performance after the rivalry win. 

In the afterthought R2, Dublin Coffman goes to HD. The Rocks can play defense and we know how HD likes to control the pace. That has the makings for a boring, low scoring game, but will be huge for HD's post-season hopes and for Coffman's positioning in the R2 bracket. 

In R3, big rivalry game between Pick Central and Pick North. Central has reeled off three straight following their loss to Groveport-Madison, as has North following their awful 1-3 start to the season. Keying the turnaround for North has been their stud DE Jack Sawyer (top 5 player in the country for '21) moving to QB. Kid is just a tremendous jumbo athlete that is a nightmare for opposing defenses to bring down. He mostly runs from the position, but can actually throw a bit too when the defenses load up to stop him. They've knocked off three good teams in Olentangy Orange, Coffman, and Reynoldsburg with him behind center. Pick C has the horses on defense to handle such a tremendous athlete, but this game could be a good one. 

Friday finals (will update as they come in):

St. Edward 48, Clarkson Football North 11

Elder 42, WW 37

HD 15, Coffman 14

Pick C 16, Pick N 7

LaSalle 22, St. X 15

Fairfield 31, Sycamore 3

Colerain 33, Mason 28

Solon 31, Medina 14

Euclid 42, Brunswick 21

Massillon 49, Barberton 24

Hoban 44, Padua 6

O-Lib 24, Olentangy 21

11 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Eds 48-11 over Clarkson North 

running clock Eds played their 2nd team the 4th

Mac Wainright first game this year 3 TD's 

Nobody in OH can cover him and now Foster at the same time

they tried then Joey F 100+ yards and 3 TD's

Good game for Wainwright to return in. North went with a 5-man front most of the game hoping to stop the Eagle run game, but Ed's aired it out instead. O'Malley went 21-28 for 300 or so, which included a dropped TD pass by Lombardo. 

6 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Good game for Wainwright to return in. North went with a 5-man front most of the game hoping to stop the Eagle run game, but Ed's aired it out instead. O'Malley went 21-28 for 300 or so, which included a dropped TD pass by Lombardo. 

Yes watched the whole game like you

Colerain wins 33-28 over Mason.

Colerain got quite a scare tonight.  But the Colerain home field magic saves the day. I swear over the years during Colerain's ridiculous GMC winning streak, there have been many games that Colerain seemingly grabbed momentum out of nowhere by the very last strand before they drowned. I don't know how they do it, but it always seems to happen. It's why people talk about Colerains home field advantage.

Last week Colerain lost their 2nd best player, LB Mike Bess for the year. This week Colerain lost their 2nd best LB Elijah Ford and DB Kiner. They should be ok next week though. Colerain was playing some underclassmen on defense, and ended up playing a few of the best DB's and LB's on Offense also. It was kinda an all hands on deck scenario to swap players in different positions. It ended up working, and Deshawn Pace was simply unreal......Pace is starting Safety....he also is punt/kick returner...tonight he also played Wildcat QB, RB, and WR. He made some game changing plays..

Mason played outstanding and had many timely calls go their way, as well as recovering an onside kick. All that said, Colerain is definitely behind Fairfield I the rankings and will be the underdog in that game, no doubt about it. 

• Like 2

Top 10 and others after week 8:

1. Mentor - took care of business against Shaker as expected. A talented Euclid team awaits this week and could be the last obstacle between Mentor and and undefeated regular season. We find out if the Mentor defense has really turned a corner as Euclid's speed has been a problem for them in recent years. 

2. St. Edward - Eagles had their full compliment of receivers this week as Mackenzie Wainwright returned for the first time this year and caught 3 TD passes in his debut. Try loading the box against them now. 

3. Hoban - nothing to see here until the inevitable playoff game against Massillon.

4. Elder - good second half for Elder after tailing WW 23-21. Defending speed is still an issue, but they did make good adjustments and kept WW from scoring an offensive TD in the second half until a meaningless last second TD pass by Blankumsee. 

5. Massillon -  see Hoban above. The McKinley game awaits, but I'm not really buying McKinley as a legit threat. 

6. Fairfield - Indians get a bump this week after LaSalle knocks off X. McClain is one of the most explosive players in the state and their defense is playing lights out. 

7. LaSalle - big jump back into the top ten for the Lancers this week after going into Ballaban for the victory. Had some bad calls go against them, but still held on for the victory with X knocking on the door late in the fourth.

8. St. Xavier - running QB's give this defense problems. Clifford is a stud at receiver, but their offense is still too inconsistent. 

9. St. Ignatius - season on the line as they host X this week. Rumor is that Cmiel was in a boot on the sidelines.  Not sure the extent of the injury, but if he's done, that could spell doom. 

10. Colerain - Cards are hanging by a thread here after sneaking by Mason. 

Others: O-Lib, Springfield, Pick C, TCC, Groveport-Madison, WW, Euclid 

Here's my top teams

Mentor - Good test this week against Euclid to see where their defense stands against a capable offense.

St. Edward - with Eds at full health, they are gonna be very hard to beat.

Hoban - sleepwalking until the Regional Finals

Elder - can score with anybody. Defense vulnerable. It will take a balanced and talented team to beat them. Would love to see Fairfield vs. Elder

Massillon - I also don't buy into McKinley being a legit threat. 

Fairfield - Very balanced team. McClain is one of the best RB'S I've seen come from this area in a long time. Their Defense has been among the best in the state also. 

St. Xavier - although they lost to La Salle, X has played a much tougher schedule, has better wins, and don't have a blowout loss like Covcath on their resume

La Salle - nice win vs X. Covcath loss still brings too many questions. 

St. Ignatius - Pretty much have to beat X to make the playoffs. If Cmiel is out, this could be it for Iggy. 

Colerain - injuries hurting Colerain. Best 2 LB's (Bess & Ford) + DB Kiner + Star FB MJ Flowers all injured vs Mason. Colerain played DB Pace and LB Thomas at RB and wildcat QB to jump start the offense. Mason played a near flawless game and had several timely calls go their way + onside kick recovery. Reminded me of the Eds title game last year, except Colerain rallied and were able to put Mason away late. 

Others - Olentangy Liberty, Springfield, Groveport Madison, Pick Central, TCC, WW

12 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Here's my top teams

Mentor - Good test this week against Euclid to see where their defense stands against a capable offense.

St. Edward - with Eds at full health, they are gonna be very hard to beat.

Hoban - sleepwalking until the Regional Finals

Elder - can score with anybody. Defense vulnerable. It will take a balanced and talented team to beat them. Would love to see Fairfield vs. Elder

Massillon - I also don't buy into McKinley being a legit threat. 

Fairfield - Very balanced team. McClain is one of the best RB'S I've seen come from this area in a long time. Their Defense has been among the best in the state also. 

St. Xavier - although they lost to La Salle, X has played a much tougher schedule, has better wins, and don't have a blowout loss like Covcath on their resume

La Salle - nice win vs X. Covcath loss still brings too many questions. 

St. Ignatius - Pretty much have to beat X to make the playoffs. If Cmiel is out, this could be it for Iggy. 

Colerain - injuries hurting Colerain. Best 2 LB's (Bess & Ford) + DB Kiner + Star FB MJ Flowers all injured vs Mason. Colerain played DB Pace and LB Thomas at RB and wildcat QB to jump start the offense. Mason played a near flawless game and had several timely calls go their way + onside kick recovery. Reminded me of the Eds title game last year, except Colerain rallied and were able to put Mason away late. 

Others - Olentangy Liberty, Springfield, Groveport Madison, Pick Central, TCC, WW

Cov Cath would beat St. X as well. St. X is solid but can be had by more than a few teams in Ohio.  I'm really paying attention to Springfield.  They are going to be a problem come playoff time.  Pickerington Central is also a team to look out for.  I would have both of those squads solidly inside the top 10.

1 hour ago, nptb17 said:

Cov Cath would beat St. X as well. St. X is solid but can be had by more than a few teams in Ohio.  I'm really paying attention to Springfield.  They are going to be a problem come playoff time.  Pickerington Central is also a team to look out for.  I would have both of those squads solidly inside the top 10.

Agree with you rcomment.  Depends which X shows up. Confusing this year with them.

Aways playing from behind lately.  Giving up big plays far too often.  Special teams aginst LaSalle,  block 2 extra pts, block a FG attempt...... then have their punter kick (not 1....but 2) punts of 5 yards each,  giving away field position.  Not sure what to think.

2 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Where would you rank Covcath in Kentucky? Would they beat Trinity?