Wow, St Joe's Prep vs Pitt Central Catholic!

sausmann9

This was a huge game.  Should have received a great deal more attention on here.  I’ve seen a dozen or more PA state championships going back, perhaps, fifty years.  From CB West to North Allegheny there is a rich tradition that most other states can only hope to approach.

As recently (!) as the late ‘80’s North Hills was number one in America (USA Today).  Somehow, when you’re older late ‘80’s doesn’t sound like it was forever ago.  (The Irishman:  “it’s when you finally get there that you realize how fast time has passed.”)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, BigDrop said:

This was a huge game.  Should have received a great deal more attention on here.  I’ve seen a dozen or more PA state championships going back, perhaps, fifty years.  From CB West to North Allegheny there is a rich tradition that most other states can only hope to approach.

As recently (!) as the late ‘80’s North Hills was number one in America (USA Today).  Somehow, when you’re older late ‘80’s doesn’t sound like it was forever ago.  (The Irishman:  “it’s when you finally get there that you realize how fast time has passed.”)

Agreed but the younger folks don't see it.  Those are two excellent programs in one hell of a game!!!  Anytime you bring up the tradition and history of PA football, you hear the same old shit from the same ole' people, lol.  Not worth it.  But really glad you had a chance to see some o fthe old school PA teams in playoff and title games.  

The one thing I love about Pitt Central Catholic is they still put the quarterback under center and run out of the I-formation or split backfield.  Old school is still cool school.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, sausmann9 said:

Agreed but the younger folks don't see it.  Those are two excellent programs in one hell of a game!!!  Anytime you bring up the tradition and history of PA football, you hear the same old shit from the same ole' people, lol.  Not worth it.  But really glad you had a chance to see some o fthe old school PA teams in playoff and title games.  

The one thing I love about Pitt Central Catholic is they still put the quarterback under center and run out of the I-formation or split backfield.  Old school is still cool school.

I'm going to go back thru the USA Today rankings, and you'll see that Pa was dominant w/ a few MNC winners.  Berwick comes to mind.  Bunch of others.

MNCs

1983 Berwick

1987 North Hills

1992 Berwick

I have somewhere the top 25s for a couple of decades, and more Pa will show up there

Schools w/ notable players

Freedom

N. Allegheny

Cathedral

Bishop McDevitt

GAR Memorial

W. Scranton

Pennridge

Gateway

Whitehall

Aliquippa

Williamsport

Cedar Cliff

Glen Mills

Cent Catholic

Catholic in Bethlehem

Conesttoga

McKeesport

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigDrop said:

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/year-by-year-rankings.htm

Central Bucks West 1985, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000-All top 25 with seven of these top ten.  Highest finish was #3 with two others at #4.  There were also two 45+ game winning streaks.

1982.  N. Allegheny (Wexford), 11; and Ringgold, 16

1983.  Berwick, 1

1984.  Valley View, 19

1985.  C. Bucks, 10

1986.  Pitts N. Hills, 12

1987.  C. Bucks, 7

1988.  Berwick, 3

1989.  Pitts Perry, 14

1990.  N. Allegheny, 13

1991.  C. Buck, 3

1992.  Berwick, 1; and Cumberland V. 14

1993.  Pitts N. Hills, 3; and Cent. Catholic, 10

1994.  McKeesport, 5; SPP NJ 6; and Berwick, 18

1995.  Berwick, 1; and Pitts Penn Hills, 5

1996.  Berwick, 4; and Dowington, 13

1997.  Cent Bucks, 4

1998.  Cent. Bucks, 7

1999.  Cent Bucks, 4

2000.  Erie Catholic Prep, ; Strath Haven, 18; and 4; C. Bucks, 24

2001.  Neshaminy, 9; and Woodland Hills, 24

2002.  Allentown Parkland, 11; and Woodland Hills, 18

2003.  SJP, 3

2004.  Cent Catholic, 6

2005.  McKeesport, 17

N.B.  Before I read BD's link

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BigDrop said:

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/year-by-year-rankings.htm

Central Bucks West 1985, 1986, 1987, 1991, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000-All top 25 with seven of these top ten.  Highest finish was #3 with two others at #4.  There were also two 45+ game winning streaks.

a couple of those seasons when CB West was #3 or 4, they ended up playing Erie Prep who was ranked #6 or 7 each season.  Great title games, I still break those out occasionally when up at the cabin.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BigDrop said:

Bill McGregor, DeMatha’s Head Coach, is a Pitt Central Catholic grad from the ‘60’s.

yeah not sure why PCC and DeMatha don't play more often.  Somewhat easy ride b/n the schools.  Cool venues in each area.  Both schools have a nice following.  Sounds liked a kickoff classic in thte makings.  

• Like 1