On this Friday night 40 years ago

Bormio

It was not broadcast live.  Game was at 5:30, televised at 8:30.  No live radio, at least in Baltimore where I was.  The radio had updates every 20 minutes or so.  Heard nothing between the US has taken the lead and hearing that the crowd was still cheering the 4-3 victory.  Watched a clip tonight - fans in the stands had NO PHONES.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bormio said:

It was not broadcast live.  Game was at 5:30, televised at 8:30.  No live radio, at least in Baltimore where I was.  The radio had updates every 20 minutes or so.  Heard nothing between the US has taken the lead and hearing that the crowd was still cheering the 4-3 victory.  Watched a clip tonight - fans in the stands had NO PHONES.

Remember my dad telling me no way in hell the USA had a chance. We watched it on delay they night and still probably the best event I’ve ever watched. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 5:25 PM, Bormio said:

... the greatest sports event of my life happened - the Miracle on Ice.  No sports event, not even 2004 Sox or the Butler Did It brought more pure joy

I agree with this 100%. These were college kids that beat the "best team in the world". The Soviets had just beaten them like 10-2 or something a few nights earlier. Which was a brilliant move by Brooks to play them right before the games because he knew they'd lose. But even in the loss the young USA team now knew what they were dealing with rather than facing the dreaded Soviets for the first time with all of the marbles on the line. The Soviets had also just beaten the NHL All-Star team a few weeks earlier as well so everyone but Brooks was like WTF?! The movie was awesome too. That pregame speech, if it was actually even remotely close to that, was epic.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I agree with this 100%. These were college kids that beat the "best team in the world". The Soviets had just beaten them like 10-2 or something a few nights earlier. Which was a brilliant move by Brooks to play them right before the games because he knew they'd lose. But even in the loss the young USA team now knew what they were dealing with rather than facing the dreaded Soviets for the first time with all of the marbles on the line. The Soviets had also just beaten the NHL All-Star team a few weeks earlier as well so everyone but Brooks was like WTF?! The movie was awesome too. That pregame speech, if it was actually even remotely close to that, was epic.

I do not know about the pregame speech.  But better yet was when they trailed 2-1 in the last game versus Finland entering the third period.  Brooks came into the room right before they went out, looked at them and simply said “If you lose this game, you will take it to your fucking graves”.  He walked out, then 10 seconds later came back and said “Your fucking graves”.  And walked out again.  They outscored the Finns 3-0 in the period.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Bormio said:

I do not know about the pregame speech.  But better yet was when they trailed 2-1 in the last game versus Finland entering the third period.  Brooks came into the room right before they went out, looked at them and simply said “If you lose this game, you will take it to your fucking graves”.  He walked out, then 10 seconds later came back and said “Your fucking graves”.  And walked out again.  They outscored the Finns 3-0 in the period.

Brooks knew how to motivate those kids. I never knew about the "take it to the grave" comment. That's awesome. I wonder if he actually meant that HE would take it to HIS grave....LOL!