High school football at its finest; 1999 AND 2000

sausmann9

19 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Salmen beat Curtis in the 1994 and 2000 Champ games.

The Spartans won State Titles in 1994, 1995 and 2000...

HC Bill Stubbs was a legend and built a powerhouse there.....took a few years, but he built one.

"In 15 seasons as head coach at Salmen from 1987 to 2001, Stubbs directed the St. Tammany Parish school to three Class 4A state championships and a record of 143-40. His teams twice defeated Curtis in the state finals in 1994 and 2000"

That 1995 Salmen team was probably Bill Stubb's best team....#14 at USA Today.

1995 1 Berwick Berwick PA 15-0
1995 2 St. Ignatius Cleveland OH 14-0
1995 3 De La Salle Concord CA 13-0
1995 4 Roosevelt San Antonio TX 16-0
1995 5 Penn Hills Pittsburgh PA 15-0
1995 6 Brentwood Academy Brentwood TN 15-0
1995 7 Midwest City Midwest City OK 14-0
1995 8 St. Joseph Regional Montvale NJ 11-0
1995 9 Providence New Lenox IL 14-0
1995 10 Catholic Central Redord MI 13-0
1995 11 Southwest DeKalb Decatur GA 14-1
1995 12 Bolles Jacksonville FL 14-1
1995 13 Penn Mishawaka IN 14-0
1995 14 Salmen Slidell LA 14-0
1995 15 Spartanburg Spartanburg SC 15-0
1995 16 Amory Amory MS 15-0
1995 17 Hazelwood East St. Louis MO 14-0
1995 18 Starkville Starkville MS 15-0
1995 19 La Marque La Marque TX 15-0
1995 20 West Charlotte Charlotte NC 15-1
1995 21 O'Dea Seattle WA 13-0
1995 22 Pine Bluff Pine Bluff AR 14-0
1995 23 Jamestown Jamestown NY 13-0
1995 24 Bishop Amat La Puente CA 12-1-1
1995 25 Cheshire Cheshire CT 12-0

14 hours ago, RedZone said:

Found the 2000 Venice schedule. 

Pretty impressive playoff run.

77 points in the state champ game???

https://www.veniceindianfootball.org/2000s

The game that I would like to see is the game prior.     Ely vs Venice was supposedly a great game in the semi's that year.  I think Dwyer was just overmatched.    

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-2000-12-09-0012090420-story.html

On 5/3/2020 at 7:07 AM, RedZone said:

I'm not sure what the most lopsided state championshioship score ever would be in Florida, but if it came up in trivia or something someone listing this game would have to be close 😀

Venice was a total Cinderella team that year. Several very close wins. I was at the early round playoff when they played Lakeland. Lakeland was stuck with a young backup QB on the road. Venice jumped out to a 17-0 lead, Lakeland scored 21 straight points and was driving. QB went the wrong way on a 3rd and goal play, and they had to settle for a FG to go up 24-17 instead of 28-17. Then Venice went on another 17 point streak to win the game.

They probably were not the best team in the state, and are overrated because of the one great showing in the title game.

34 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Venice was a total Cinderella team that year. Several very close wins. I was at the early round playoff when they played Lakeland. Lakeland was stuck with a young backup QB on the road. Venice jumped out to a 17-0 lead, Lakeland scored 21 straight points and was driving. QB went the wrong way on a 3rd and goal play, and they had to settle for a FG to go up 24-17 instead of 28-17. Then Venice went on another 17 point streak to win the game.

They probably were not the best team in the state, and are overrated because of the one great showing in the title game.

Agreed 100%.   The best teams in Palm Beach were Glades Central and the 6A publics at the time.   Dwyer just wasn’t there yet.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 10:10 PM, sausmann9 said:

Kickoff Friday night takes us into the Bayou State

Kickoff Friday 5pm EST. 

1999 West Monroe LA v Evangel Christian Academy LA.   Brock Berlin and his 59 game winning streak on line in the 5A state title game.  

Kickoff Friday 9pm EST

2000 Evangel Christian Academy LA v John Curtis LA.  Battle of the AA bullies for a title.

Kickoff Saturday night takes us down south Georgia :) 

Kickoff Saturday 5pm EST

1999 Lowndes County Vikings GA v Southwest Dekalb.  One hell of a 4A playoff game.  SWD never completes a pass in this game and it comes down to the wire and a 60 yard field goal attempt.

Kickoff Saturday 9pm EST

1999 Lowndes County Vikings GA v Brunswick GA - state title slug-fest, one tough game!  I couldn't believe the outcome of this one but home field advantage can be a bitch to the visitors.     Brunswick loaded w/ talent ala Rashad Lee and Eddie Palmer as well as one tough defense.  I miss state title games at a home field!  Fuck the Dome!!!

Kickoff Sunday sometime after noon - this is the Biggie!!!!  Probably a top 3 out of all of them.

1999 Georgia v Florida all star game.  This is one of the last high school all star games that the D1 talent took pride in playing.  I know, I know we have the Under Armor and US Army game but           those a lot like the NFL Pro Bowl; very little defense and too much commercial bullshit.  This game had over 20 D1 signees playing in it and talk about chippiness, lol, big time hits on defense.             Florida had the likes of Adrian McPherson, Anquan Boldin, Kevin Beard, Kevin Verpale, and Andre Johhnson while Georgia brought in Marv Harris, Dantonio Burnette, Jason Respert, and Jay Ratliff of our very own Lowndes County Vikings!  

Anyone been in any of these, went to them,  the all star game was at the Dome, etc...  This lock down is still making me crazy but once again thank God for high school football!!

I was at the Brunswick game. Their Backs were super fast. 

On 5/2/2020 at 1:57 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

2000 is when Parkview started their Legendary Triple title run. 

Beating Harrison 19-7 in the 2000 state title game. 

They went undefeated but during each of those state title seasons Brookwood took them to the wire. They almost upended Parkview each time they met. 

Neither Brookwood or Parkview are as good as they used to be. 

Parkview is starting to head back in the right direction though while Brookwood seems to be declining further. 

Damn one of my last playoffs games I was at for Northside Warner Robins was up at the Little Orange Jungle when Frenchie somehow cut the lights out and return some crazy ass punt.  I don't know.  Big Flow written all over it.  Parkview beat'em like 13-7 I think.

That three year run was sweet tho!  I remember Big Zeb McKenzie steamrolling the DE, the LB, and then the safety from Harrison and little Caleb King scooted right around Zeb for the touchdown.  Those were some fun road trips and games!!!  

• Like 1