Louisiana starts high school summer football, athletic workouts on June 8

RedZone

40 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Is that smart, do you think? The state was hit relatively badly. 

I really don't know what's "smart" anymore....concerning this Covid-19.

It's still here and NOT going anywhere anytime soon.

Some days are better than others in reference to new positive cases. Part of me thinks maybe it's a little too soon and part of me thinks that being we were hit so hard early maybe we should be one of the first states to try to get something going. States hit hard later might should wait. That's probably poor logic. 

I just don't know really.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I really don't know what's "smart" anymore....concerning this Covid-19.

It's still here and NOT going anywhere anytime soon.

Some days are better than others in reference to new positive cases. Part of me thinks maybe it's a little too soon and part of me thinks that being we were hit so hard early maybe we should be one of the first states to try to get something going. States hit hard later might should wait. That's probably poor logic. 

I just don't know really.

Part of the reason we don't know is the fact it is a new virus that we are unfamiliar with. When you couple that with insufficient testing, and poor contract tracing of those that tested positive, we are kind of flying blind.

My big fear is that the virus goes semi-dormant in the summer and returns with vengeance in the fall. The 1918 Spanish flu followed that path. Its return that fall was many multiples worse than the first attack. Given we have lost approximately 90,000 people in the USA already, I don't want to imagine what a worse outbreak in October through January would do.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Part of the reason we don't know is the fact it is a new virus that we are unfamiliar with. When you couple that with insufficient testing, and poor contract tracing of those that tested positive, we are kind of flying blind.

My big fear is that the virus goes semi-dormant in the summer and returns with vengeance in the fall. The 1918 Spanish flu followed that path. Its return that fall was many multiples worse than the first attack. Given we have lost approximately 90,000 people in the USA already, I don't want to imagine what a worse outbreak in October through January would do.   

What's Florida going to do?

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

What's Florida going to do?

The economy is reopening. But I am not sure about high school sports which has not been formally addressed yet. There is some talk of moving some summer/fall sports to winter/spring and vice versa. We don't have a real winter, so we can accommodate this. If they go that route, high contact sports such as football, basketball and soccer may be pushed back to March - May 2021. Track and baseball may be brought forward to September - December 2020. 

Or, we may just end up scrapping the 2020/2021 season which would be a shame for the kids, especially the seniors, but which would be totally understandable. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The economy is reopening. But I am not sure about high school sports which has not been formally addressed yet. There is some talk of moving some summer/fall sports to winter/spring and vice versa. We don't have a real winter, so we can accommodate this. If they go that route, high contact sports such as football, basketball and soccer may be pushed back to March - May 2021. Track and baseball may be brought forward to September - December 2020. 

Or, we may just end up scrapping the 2020/2021 season which would be a shame for the kids, especially the seniors, but which would be totally understandable. 

Some good news....

12 coronavirus deaths reported, the smallest increase since March

The last time Louisiana saw 12 new coronavirus deaths was March 24, 10 days after the first death in the state. 

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/latest-coronavirus-update/289-5c6600b2-f492-4c63-b1b1-0b156865925c?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Some good news....

12 coronavirus deaths reported, the smallest increase since March

The last time Louisiana saw 12 new coronavirus deaths was March 24, 10 days after the first death in the state. 

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/latest-coronavirus-update/289-5c6600b2-f492-4c63-b1b1-0b156865925c?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

No doubt Louisiana has been on a down trend and the data above proves it. I do think that in terms of time the lock down was long enough.  However, I don't think the governments whether it's state or federal, have done enough testing and tracing to know the extent of infections in each state and in each region. So, I don't think the virus is under proper control.

If this Corona virus is similar to most, what will happen is that it will go dormant or at least decrease significantly during summer, and then resurface in the fall. I doubt (I hope I am wrong) if we have an effective vaccine by then and even if we do, we may not have enough to meet demand as it takes some time to scale up production due to their science.

If my rather dour outlook proves correct we will almost certainly have a resurgence of this disease. How bad it will be is anyone's guess. But if it is at least as bad as what we have just gone through, I can tell you one thing: I am not going back to normal life till there is an effective treatment and/or an effective vaccine. I am not ready to die yet and sure as hell am not going to sacrifice my life for the sake of the economy. Thankfully, I don't need to as while I am very far from being rich, my finances are in decent shape.