Ohio Week 2 *COVID Edition*

Coletrain06

Well Week 1 was pretty crazy and very sloppy for all teams. 

St Edward vs. Hoban - Eds 21 Hoban 20

Eds was able to pull a win out vs a Massillon team that outgained them by 100 yds. With a couple minutes left in the game, Eds intercepted a Massillon pass. A few plays later they hit a double pass trick play for the go ahead TD and win.

Hoban beat up on some football club.

Dont know too much about Hoban this year, but I would assume they'll be of a similar caliber as Massillon. I look for a close game. I'm picking St. Eds based on the caliber of opponent they played in Week 1. Given this crazy season, I doubt Hoban's week 1 opponent did anything in the way of preparing them for a live top notch opponent.

St. Xavier vs. La Salle - La Salle 28 X 17

X played very sloppy, but also looked pretty good at times. Too many turnovers/mistakes and questionable late game play calls cost X a game that they probably should have won. X's lack of a run game stands out.

La Salle eeked out a win in 2 OT over Elder 53-52 by converting a 2pt conversion. We all knew La Salle would be able to score, but its very surprising how badly their defense played, given that they have a bunch of big time recruits all over their defense. Elder and Coach Ramsey are always crafty on offense, but 52 pts is a bit excessive to give up, especially when the La Salle defenders boasted in interviews that nobody would complete a pass against them..

I think X can score in this one, but their lack of a run game will enable La Salles superb secondary to focus on the receivers mainly. La Salle has a clear advantage here and X doesnt have an OLine or run threat like Elder does. X may slow down La Salle, but I see Lancers pulling this one out.

• Like 2

Difficult to project these early season games this year. As for the Ed's/Hoban game, here's my take:

For the second week in a row, the Eagles will be taking on one of the DII teams on the short-list of title contenders. And oddly enough, another smaller school that has more top shelf talent than they do. QB edge goes to Hoban who brings back four-year starter Shane Hamm. Not a guy who is garnering a lot of college interest, but an experienced and steady hand. Ramos did not appear ready for the big stage against Massillon, and Lombardo took a pretty conservative offensive approach. He'll be up against it again this week against a Hoban defense loaded with D1 college talent at every level. Up front they have bookends Darryl Peterson (Wisconsin) and Chances Carter-Hill (academy offers); at LB they bring back Damon Ollison (several BIG10 offers) and Luke Bauer (Akron); and in the secondary they've been bolstered by the transfer of safety AJ Kirk (offers from all the BIG10 elites and ND).  Ed's offense did not put up a whole bunch of yards against Massillon, and they could be even harder to come by against Hoban. Hopefully Watkins is back at RB after taking a hard hit out of bounds last week. But the key will be Ramos taking some major strides and finding his rhythm behind center. 

Ed's defense was expected to have to carry the weight early on. They were without their best DE in week one, missed several tackles at the LOS resulting in big gains, and struggled against the Massillon run game. They will need Bixby back in the lineup to set the edge up front. The secondary let up some big plays in the first half (which was expected against talents like Ballard and Lamp), but played great in the second half and kept Ballard without a catch. I expect to see strides made this week after their first live action against a talented Massillon team. Hoban has a very good RB in Victor Dawson who is also a bruiser. Can't surrender the yards after first contact they did in week one. Hoban also features Rutgers commit Brayden Fox at WR who can challenge the secondary. 

On paper, Hoban is the clear favorite. So was Massillon though. Ed's gets this one at home after a challenging week one game. Hoban makes their first road trip after beating the brakes off some awful "academy" program. That could be the difference and the reason I think this game is a pick-em. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Some other thoughts:

Mentor should be good as usual. @OdbCle can probably shed more light.

Elder looks to have another good offense. They are playing Floyd Central IN. No idea who they are, but I would assume Elder will roll this week.

Moeller got back in the win column with a win over D3 Bishop Hartley 34-17. They play East Central IN this week. They should win without much trouble

Pick Central looks very good again, and would be my #1 at this point.  Pick North was without the #1 Recruit in Ohio at DE, so that would've influenced the game some. 

Heard a lot about Coffman in the preseason, and they smashed their opponent Jerome. Keep an eye on Coffman.

Springfield brings back almost their entire team from their semifinal finish last season. They beat Wayne 17-14. Keep an eye on them. 

Winton Woods should be a force in D2.

Lakota West has some serious talent. Especially on Defense. Im not sold on their offense yet, but they do have the potential to be a solid offensive unit.

Colerain has a very good defense. This should keep them in every game they play. On offense, their Line is very small and was pushed around by the Lakota West DLine. Colerain is stuck in a spot where they are trying to decide whether to move forward with a more balanced spread option, or their traditional triple option. They have the athletes, but need protection up front and more experience. As it is now, they are rotating QB's and offenses, and its too inconsistent. If they really figure out the offense as the season progresses like they did last season, then watch out!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mentor-Euclid is the other premier matchup in Cleveland this weekend. The Cards have had the Panthers number in recent years, including a 45-0 thrashing last year, but gone is long time head coach Steve Trivisanno. Mentor is coming off a solid 37-19 victory over GCC hopeful Medina.  They got behind after a slow start, but rallied for a comfortable victory. Kipp returns as a three-year starter and will be what makes the Mentor offense go. They don't have the big time playmakers at WR and RB that they did last year in Floreia and Trobel, but Riley Coughlin is a tough in-between-the-tackles runner and it will be WR by committee.  O-line should be strong as well with three starters returning.  Defensively, Mentor's strength is in their front with Vernon, Predina, and Cardina. The back seven may be a little shaky. 

Euclid is as loaded from a talent standpoint as they've ever been, headlined by Kentucky WR commit Armond Scott and Michigan St. S/LB commit Michael Gravely who transferred over from Glenville after the Senate league cancelled fall sports. Other D1 commits include Atiba Fitz at RB/DB and Cam Smith at Safety. Euclid will play a lot of these guys both ways.  Biggest question mark will be QB as they replace veteran Dion Valentine.  

Depsite the skill player advantage for Euclid, I still like Mentor with Kipp at QB and what I think is an advantage in the trenches. Euclid could make it interesting if their skill guys can take advantage of Mentor's back seven on defense. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Colerain - 30
Oak Hills - 0

No idea what to make of this game other than it's a confidence booster for the Cardinals...I guess?  I mean, beating Oak Hills is nothing to hang your hat on but after last week, the Cards DID roll up almost 400 yards of total offense and the defense created two turnovers and held the Highlanders to -30 yards rushing for the game.

However...it was only 13-0 going into the 4th quarter, the Cardinals still had 95 yards in penalties, to go with their 87 yards in penalties last week, so all is not peachy keen just yet.

Next week against Princeton at home will be a much better indicator as to whether or not this team got any better week over week.

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Did anyone expect this? The prediction above has Ed's winning by 1. Hoban has outscored their opponents 84-0 in their first two games.

I told a couple Ed’s parents former Ed’s players Hoban would win this game. They looked at me as a traitor. 😂

new QB for Ed’s and Minnesota commit junior Bixby not playing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hardhit1 said:

I told a couple Ed’s parents former Ed’s players Hoban would win this game. They looked at me as a traitor. 😂

new QB for Ed’s and Minnesota commit junior Bixby not playing. 

Ok but there's a difference between winning and wiping them off the face of the Earth.

I said Hoban was the more talented team before tonight's game, but even I was surprised by the decisive nature of the win tonight. Thought the coaching would give a young Ed's team a punchers chance, but they were just out-gunned. Superior talent at every level of this Hoban team. Not ready to declare the Knights a lock to win D2, but after watching LaSalle's defensive struggles through two weeks and Massillon dropping that first game to Ed's, it's hard to not to make Hoban the clear frontrunner at this early point in the season. 

As for the Eagles, those who have watched this program at all levels over the past few years know this senior group is one of the weakest to walk the halls in years. There are a couple very good players in the like of Hankins, Aden, and Castleberry, but outside of them it's a fairly pedestrian group for a program that usually relies on seniors. It's been birth by fire these past two weeks for a junior heavy team against two of the state's best teams, and they stand 1-1. Luckily everyone qualifies this year. From the looks of it, it's going to take a lot of time for this offense to find its groove. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Hoban is now officially the place to be for ballers from the southern-most points of Greater Cleveland, as well as from the Canton area too. 

They've certainly had their share of talent over these past 6 years. The results speak for themselves.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OdbCle said:

I said Hoban was the more talented team before tonight's game, but even I was surprised by the decisive nature of the win tonight. Thought the coaching would give a young Ed's team a punchers chance, but they were just out-gunned. Superior talent at every level of this Hoban team. Not ready to declare the Knights a lock to win D2, but after watching LaSalle's defensive struggles through two weeks and Massillon dropping that first game to Ed's, it's hard to not to make Hoban the clear frontrunner at this early point in the season. 

As for the Eagles, those who have watched this program at all levels over the past few years know this senior group is one of the weakest to walk the halls in years. There are a couple very good players in the like of Hankins, Aden, and Castleberry, but outside of them it's a fairly pedestrian group for a program that usually relies on seniors. It's been birth by fire these past two weeks for a junior heavy team against two of the state's best teams, and they stand 1-1. Luckily everyone qualifies this year. From the looks of it, it's going to take a lot of time for this offense to find its groove. 

Don’t act like you called this outcome. You didn’t.  You let us OOS guys down with your terrible pregame research.  

This board Doesn’t tolerate lazy analysis 

You have got to do better.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OdbCle said:

They've certainly had their share of talent over these past 6 years. The results speak for themselves.  

Unfortunately many people can't wait for the results to speak for themselves.  We need good intel. If you are going to blog like you are the Ohio handicapper, you need to spend more time researching and getting down multiple levels. 

If you are going to be lazy about it, don't bother.

Nobody who did their due diligence would miss 0-35 at home.