To buy land in Utah or Kansas?

ChimpGrip

2 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Which would you prefer, and area that is mountainous and scenic (Utah) or flat, rural place in Western Kansas? 

Feasible to do both?

Depends if you like winter and snow....

Utah has world class Alpine sports and amenities

Kansas is flat.

If it's just land (with little expense or upkeep) do as many as you like or can afford.

Many land lots around here tho, are expense and upkeep prohibitive for something you may hardly use... so your results may vary.

8 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Which would you prefer, and area that is mountainous and scenic (Utah) or flat, rural place in Western Kansas? 

Feasible to do both?

You have to give more info as to what you want to do with that land.

Northern Utah is what's mountainous; southern Utah is plateaus and canyons, it's all red and chocolate colored rock formations everywhere.

If you want to farm or just have a massive amount of land for cheap - buy land in Kansas. I've been through the entire state, border-to-border a few times while road-tripping the country...it is the most boring state, with the blandest looking people you will ever find yourself in. I have no idea why you would even consider Kansas unless you have a very specific business opportunity in mind or something like that. If you like boring states that will bleed the soul out of you, consider Iowa too.

Utah is great for outdoor activities and off-roading, possibly the best in the country - along with all of the winter activities in the north. Best national parks for hiking and camping, beautiful scenery everywhere. Main negatives are there's almost no nightlife or bars since the state is about 75% Mormon. St. George is a beautiful city just beyond the Nevada border and just above the Arizona border that's relatively close to Zion National Park. Again, Mormon dominated, but just a 2 hour drive away from Las Vegas so not far away from being able to let loose a bit.

Be more specific as to what kind of advice you want and what it would lead to.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 10:29 PM, DownSouth said:

Northern Utah is what's mountainous; southern Utah is plateaus and canyons, it's all red and chocolate colored rock formations everywhere.

If you want to farm or just have a massive amount of land for cheap - buy land in Kansas. I've been through the entire state, border-to-border a few times while road-tripping the country...it is the most boring state, with the blandest looking people you will ever find yourself in. I have no idea why you would even consider Kansas unless you have a very specific business opportunity in mind or something like that. If you like boring states that will bleed the soul out of you, consider Iowa too.

Utah is great for outdoor activities and off-roading, possibly the best in the country - along with all of the winter activities in the north. Best national parks for hiking and camping, beautiful scenery everywhere. Main negatives are there's almost no nightlife or bars since the state is about 75% Mormon. St. George is a beautiful city just beyond the Nevada border and just above the Arizona border that's relatively close to Zion National Park. Again, Mormon dominated, but just a 2 hour drive away from Las Vegas so not far away from being able to let loose a bit.

Will be coming back with a response later.... a bit to chew on here

On 9/5/2020 at 10:29 PM, DownSouth said:

For Kansas, I’d like to have it as something that produces income streams from hunting and farming. 

Also, while this may sound strange I find the prarie (primarily in Western Kansas?) to be beautiful in its own way and fascinating. Would be peaceful to have a house out on 150 or more acres out there. Also I find the mystery and unpopularity of Kansas as well as tornadoes to be fascinating. 

For Utah, would try to set up a hunting business on the property as an income stream during a certain time of year. Other than that, it’d be a vacation getaway for family. A log home similar to Mitt Romney’s would be ideal. A warm, cozy stay during the winter months. Or whenever I want to go. And yes Utah is a beautiful, scenic state. It makes picking an area difficult since the scenery varies a bit across the state. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:54 AM, ChimpGrip said:

For Kansas, I’d like to have it as something that produces income streams from hunting and farming. 

Also, while this may sound strange I find the prarie (primarily in Western Kansas?) to be beautiful in its own way and fascinating. Would be peaceful to have a house out on 150 or more acres out there. Also I find the mystery and unpopularity of Kansas as well as tornadoes to be fascinating. 

For Utah, would try to set up a hunting business on the property as an income stream during a certain time of year. Other than that, it’d be a vacation getaway for family. A log home similar to Mitt Romney’s would be ideal. A warm, cozy stay during the winter months. Or whenever I want to go. And yes Utah is a beautiful, scenic state. It makes picking an area difficult since the scenery varies a bit across the state. 

If you like the prairies and the openness, South Dakota is way better than Kansas. There's huge farm lands throughout the central and western parts of the state. Drive a couple more hours west and you can go to Deadwood and gamble and see some better scenery like Custer State Park.

For Utah, land isn't exactly cheap and already built property definitely isn't in cities like Moab, it's not crazy expensive but it's not as inexpensive as you'd think. Not too sure about hunting business' out there but I can tell you that outdoor companies are prevalent and very professional - they've had years to perfect their business models. Lots of great 4X4 companies out there where you can rent jeeps or other ATV or Polaris vehicles for camping or just day drives into the rocks. And with Utah it really does depend on which half of the state you want; North is skiing and camping, south is hiking and all terrain vehicles...in terms of hunting you'd probably want to go north but that means for $ for property.