Building an art collection

ChimpGrip

59 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Has anyone here built a collection of art? My personal favorite painting is The Scream, it is a frightening masterpiece I think. Would an art museum sell you pieces of work or would you have to go to estate sales and buy off auctions?

I prefer Lincoln In Dalivision from 1977 or Christ of St John on the Cross...Do you know who Iam talking about ?? Don't look it up...loo

On 10/5/2020 at 1:43 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Has anyone here built a collection of art? My personal favorite painting is The Scream, it is a frightening masterpiece I think. Would an art museum sell you pieces of work or would you have to go to estate sales and buy off auctions?

I find crazy shit doing  eviction Cleanouts, a lot of time I’m dealing with garbage but a good amount of time I find Gems

1267F7EC-D89B-468F-8C92-D80E841EF0C8.jpeg

6C4FFEC6-4C0B-43C1-A058-21F41C596A82.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

What do you think the value of it is?

What are your top 5 paintings that date before the year 1600?

Too many...However, originals from Picasso"s Blue Period, are good ones...Lincoln In Dalivision or Christ of St John on the Cross ?? Google them and see..Rembrands Cystine Chapel ?? Art and the value of paintings is a very long topic...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mag44 said:

Too many...However, originals from Picasso"s Blue Period, are good ones...Lincoln In Dalivision or Christ of St John on the Cross ?? Google them and see..Rembrands Cystine Chapel ?? Art and the value of paintings is a very long topic...

Interesting. What would you say the Mona Lisa is worth or should be worth?

Museum...sometimes, most of those are on loan from other museums and when they do go to auction the prices easily get into 5 figures. You, along with most people don't have those funds.

Art gallery - absolutely yes. And not everything is expensive. I bought a sketch at Art Basel last year from an artist that has his works being snatched up by major galleries around the country; the sketch I bought was $325, so it's not like everything in a gallery is going to be thousands (photo and sketch exhibits generally have cool stuff for under $500; paintings and sculptures obviously run way higher).

Estate sales are pretty cool, I've found some nice Art Deco prints and figurines from the 1930's-1950's that at an antique shop cost a couple hundred while I got a few finds for half that.

I'm no collector though, I pick up 1-3 interesting items a year usually.

• Like 1

I would not call it a collection but I did own several originals from some famious artists, investment grade... Nagel, Max, Erte... 

I supplemented with non investment grade reliefs from antiquity. I loved how it all came together. I even introduced a black lacquer mannequin to the mix which I seated at the glass dinning room table. 

3 minutes ago, noonereal said:

I would not call it a collection but I did own several originals from some famious artists, investment grade... Nagel, Max, Erte... 

I supplemented with non investment grade reliefs from antiquity. I loved how it all came together. I even introduced a black lacquer mannequin to the mix which I seated at the glass dinning room table. 

Erte....aka Romaine De Turtoff..

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, noonereal said:

I know a girl that he hit on... she was just walking up 59th street and a limo pulls over and he askers her to get in. 

better than just garbing her pussy although I am sure he would have had she gotten in 

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....I sold "Vanity", one of Erte "Seven  Deadly Sins" Suite for $1800.00....

• Like 1