Big Games in FL Rd 3

181pl

Several very big games this weekend. My thought on the big games per Class.

A- Madison v. Pahokee. This is the defacto championship game. Two storied programs that could beat teams in most classes. Pahokee has been down for a long time, so this is their watershed moment. Can't make a pick. These teams are very close in talent and tradition.

2A- Northside Christian and Champagnat- It is an upset that NC got there. The team is coached by former all pro Mike Alstot and his son is the QB. They are well coached and talented for a 2A team. Champagnat with an advantage based on home field. 

3A- Chaminade v. Melbourne CC- Fresh off a NINE OT win against CCC, Melbourne has to be riding on cloud 9. Chaminade just upset class co-favorite Ox-Turd. Should be a good game. Edge to Chaminade for beating harder competition. 

4A- BTW @ Cocoa- Bolles likely awaits the winner. This will be a WAR. Game of the week other than Carol City and Mainland. Cocoa can pull the win out this year and because its at Cocoa, I think they will.

5A- American Heritage vs. Bishop Moore- The likely champion against last year's champion. Heritage has played a brutal schedule and is unscathed. I'm picking Heritage by 10.

6A- Carol City and Mainland- Not going to say this is the defacto 6A title game because anything can happen, but this is a heck of a matchup defensively.   Lots of D1 prospects. Game should be pretty rough on both teams physically. CC played a harder schedule and is more battle tested. Everything says take CC, but I can't go against Mainland at home (by 1).

7A- St. Thomas v. Mater Academy- I know, this isn't much of a matchup on paper. However, STA MAY have some suspension issues due to brawl. Not sure. Even with suspensions, STA should win comfortably. As a backup, because STA may blow them out, there are several other very good matchups in 7A. Viera, finalist last year, travels to Plant. East Lake, always competitive, travels to Venice, who would be the 7A favorite if STA gets upset or is hit with a ton of suspensions.

8A- Two great games in store. In the North, Dr. Phillips vs an undefeated Vero Beach squad. Game is shaping up to be an evenly contested battle. In the South, two historic programs go at it. Coral Gables, who has beaten NMB and Columbus, takes on the Southridge Spartans, who have shut out both opponents so far in the playoffs. Gotta go with DP in a very, very close game. I think Coral Gables has faced tougher competition, so I'm slightly leaning to CG in the second game. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 181pl said:

A- Madison v. Pahokee. This is the defacto championship game. Two storied programs that could beat teams in most classes. Pahokee has been down for a long time, so this is their watershed moment. Can't make a pick. These teams are very close in talent and tradition.

2A- Northside Christian and Champagnat- It is an upset that NC got there. The team is coached by former all pro Mike Alstot and his son is the QB. They are well coached and talented for a 2A team. Champagnat with an advantage based on home field. 

3A- Chaminade v. Melbourne CC- Fresh off a NINE OT win against CCC, Melbourne has to be riding on cloud 9. Chaminade just upset class co-favorite Ox-Turd. Should be a good game. Edge to Chaminade for beating harder competition. 

4A- BTW @ Cocoa- Bolles likely awaits the winner. This will be a WAR. Game of the week other than Carol City and Mainland. Cocoa can pull the win out this year and because its at Cocoa, I think they will.

5A- American Heritage vs. Bishop Moore- The likely champion against last year's champion. Heritage has played a brutal schedule and is unscathed. I'm picking Heritage by 10.

6A- Carol City and Mainland- Not going to say this is the defacto 6A title game because anything can happen, but this is a heck of a matchup defensively.   Lots of D1 prospects. Game should be pretty rough on both teams physically. CC played a harder schedule and is more battle tested. Everything says take CC, but I can't go against Mainland at home (by 1).

7A- St. Thomas v. Mater Academy- I know, this isn't much of a matchup on paper. However, STA MAY have some suspension issues due to brawl. Not sure. Even with suspensions, STA should win comfortably. As a backup, because STA may blow them out, there are several other very good matchups in 7A. Viera, finalist last year, travels to Plant. East Lake, always competitive, travels to Venice, who would be the 7A favorite if STA gets upset or is hit with a ton of suspensions.

8A- Two great games in store. In the North, Dr. Phillips vs an undefeated Vero Beach squad. Game is shaping up to be an evenly contested battle. In the South, two historic programs go at it. Coral Gables, who has beaten NMB and Columbus, takes on the Southridge Spartans, who have shut out both opponents so far in the playoffs. Gotta go with DP in a very, very close game. I think Coral Gables has faced tougher competition, so I'm slightly leaning to CG in the second game. 

Cooling down in Florida while the Rigionals in 4A and under are heating up. Some very good games that will be hard fought in several contest. My favorites are #1 Cocoa vs BTW, #2 MCC vs Chaminade, and #3 Madison vs Pahokee. Also I like that Alstot is the coach of NC. He was one heck of a RB for Tampa Bay. If he coaches like he pushed defenses around then I can see NC becoming a team to reckon with.

5A and up are on fire and fighting for a shot at the regional final. No push overs in any of these classes. My favorite games of interest are #1Mainland vs Carol City, Viera vs Plant, and AHP bs Bishop Moore. All will be tough games with Mainland and CC being brutal.

Good Job 181... Great post.

Edited by Cat_Scratch
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, 181pl said:

CERTAINLY not bigger than JAWJA!!! Northside-Glynn Academy, Mill Creek-McEachern, North Cobb-Roswell, and Grayson-Colquitt! Cartersville-Woodward Academy, Carrollton-Buford, Coffee-Dalton, and Tucker-Mays! And there are at least a half dozen more that weren't listed on the Georgia Football Historians website!

And quite possibly the best team in FLAAAAWDA is unscathed, because my boys missed three chip shot FG's against um!

Edited by ORabidOne

For sure we will have two new state winners from 6A and 8A.   5A AHP would be a new state winner, 4A BTW has Cocoa this week, with Bolles waiting likely... not an easy repeat for BTW... and unless Oxbridge Academy tanked, maybe even Chaminade Madonna can give TCA a game.   

Only 7A is likely a lock... STA's D is just nasty right now, the LB core is the best I've seen at the school.