Ohio Week 4 Discussion/Predictions

Coletrain06

St. Edward (3-0) vs. Elder (3-0) - St. Edward 31 Elder 20

St. Edward is now 3-0 with 3 blowout wins against McDowell PA (40-10), Glenville (41-6), and most recently Howard D Woodson DC (45-20). Woodson was reportedly a pretty talented team, and were able to keep the game close for awhile, but ultimately St. Edward was too much. 

Elder played a tough Gahanna Lincoln team last week, and were able to escape with the win 27-23...It was a back and forth game with both teams having their moments, but towards the end of the game, Gahanna Lincoln was ahead 23-20, when Elder scored a go ahead TD to secure the victory. 

Not to sure what to make of Elder so far, because 2 of their wins are against weak teams, and Gahanna Lincoln nearly beat Elder.....Elder has pulled some upsets of Ed's in the past, but the home team usually always seems to win this matchup. I've got Ed's in this one.

St. Xavier (3-0) vs. Cathedral IN (1-3) - St. X 27 Cathedral 17

St. X destroyed a Walnut Hills team 50-7. Walnut hills had no idea what to do, and were in way over their head. Not much to take away from this game.

Cathedral got their first win last week against Bishop Chatard IN 34-13. They had a rough start to the season, but played a tough respectable schedule against St. X KY, Detroit King MI, and Pickerington Central and all were one score games. Detroit King and Pickerington Central have since lost to D3 powers Toledo Central Catholic and Trotwood-Madison. 

Cathedral seems to play X close most of the time......X will need to utilize more of their passing game, as this is undoubtedly the strength of this team. I think this will be a close game, with the defenses getting the better of most exchanges, but I'll look for X to pull away late.

St. Ignatius (3-0) vs. Novi Catholic Central MI (2-1) - Iggy 35 Novi CC 21

Iggy has the most impressive resume to date, with wins over Hoban (17-3), Mentor (41-31), and Euclid (34-20). Last week against Euclid, Iggy had some turnovers in the first half, and found themselves trailing Euclid 14-10 at half. Iggy came out strong in the 2nd half and dominated.

Novi CC has 2 wins against Michigan teams, but lost in Week 2 to Whitmer 14-7. Whitmer is thought to have a pretty good team this year tho, so it's not a bad loss. 

Iggy will look to avenge their loss from last season to Novi CC. Iggy turned the ball over 4-5 times and on one particular Novi CC drive, were flagged for roughing the punter, which many Iggy fans were upset about, eventually leading to a Novi CC score.......I don't think Novi CC was as good as Iggy last year, and I don't think they are good as Iggy this year. Taking Iggy.

La Salle (3-0) vs. Scott County KY (3-1) - La Salle 20 Scott County 17

La Salle handled the new merged D1 school West Clermont 30-0 last week. La Salle's Defense was once again lights out, and they have only given up 3 pts on the year. La Salle found some offense this week. It's unclear whether they'll have this success against a good team. 

Scott County played Moeller last week and lost 38-28. Scott County fell behind early, and just couldn't close the gap after that. They gave up 400+ to Moe, but also gained 400+. 

I'm really not sure how this one plays out.....I think it's a safe bet to assume that Scott County won't gain much on the ground against the La Salle LB's. La Salle's secondary should be tested, which we haven't seen much of this year.....I don't know the ratio of Scott's Offense being really good or Moe's Defense really bad and vice versa. If La Salle can get any offensive rythym, I think they win...if not it'll most likely be a low scoring toss up.

Colerain (1-2) vs. Sycamore (3-0) - Colerain 17 Sycamore 14

Colerain got their first win of the season against Middletown 38-7. While Colerain did some things great offensively, the option offense under Leyendecker still isn't there and the offense scored 0 TD's rushing. Luckily, Leyendecker showed why the coaches have kept him at QB as he threw 4 TD passes. If Leyendecker is the QB, I'd like to see Colerain move toward a more passing oriented offense....If they stick with the option, DSM2 is the clear choice IMO. Really would like to see Leyendecker in the backfield as a Wingback like in his highlight reel sophomore season. Colerain's defense played great again.

Sycamore comes in 3-0, having shutout Loveland and Mount Healthy, and beat rival Mason 21-7 last week. It was a big game last week, and Sycamore's defense is getting plenty of hype. Sycamore's offense has struggled at times, but found a spark when they moved the smaller and faster Malek to QB against Mason. 

This is a Huge game this week! There is serious talk about Sycamore breaking Colerain's GMC winning streak and a weird feeling in the air about Sycamore's hype. From 1999-2008 Colerain won a ridiculous 61 consecutive GMC games, before losing to Middletown. Many People said that feat could never be accomplished again. Well since that loss to Middletown in 2008, Colerain hasn't lost another GMC game, and the new streak now stands at 60 games!........I think Colerain's defense will do well against Sycamore. Sycamore's D is solid, but they can be beat on the edges. If Colerain executes a diverse gameplan, I think they win this game. They've seen better defenses already. If the offense really struggles again, then it's a toss up. Big question is if Eric Phillips will play

Centerville (3-0) @ Springfield (3-0)

Wayne (2-1) vs. Miamisburg (3-0)

• Like 2

Agree with your picks so far Coletrain.

As for the Eds-Elder match-up, the traveling team is usually at a disadvantage making the trip up or down 71 in the same day. Elder has only won one time up north (2009) since these two started playing each other on a regular basis in the mid 2000's, and that year they had a state championship caliber team against a 4-6 Ed's team that missed the playoffs. That is not the case this year.  Word from the Elder folks is that they don't match-up well against teams with speed at the skill positions. If that's true, the game could turn into a beat-down in Ed's favor. Elder will need to win the TOP battle to keep the game in striking distance, and hope Ed's gets off to another slow start as they have done their first three games. The Elder offense has been successful at doing that the past few years. They employ a complex, multiple offense that emphasizes short crossing routes to get guys open underneath, and then use the passing game to set up QB keepers and draws for the occasional big gain. Discipline from Ed's defense will be key. They have a tendency to get overly aggressive and leave the middle of the field open for easy yardage. Linebackers will need to focus on their key read, and get proper depth in pass coverage to disrupt those short routes. If they can do that and limit clock-eating drives, Eds should win comfortably. 

I think Colerain puts in on Sycamore as well. I know this Cardinal offense may not be running as efficiently as it can, but when is the last time a Sycamore team has held them under four TD's?  

• Like 1

'train06    I agree with your analysis (as usual).

Note on Cathedral - StX.  I think X needs to focus on this Irish team.  As stated they always play X tough.  Their 1-3 record is deceptive because of who they played.  At season's start, I thought four games would be determining factors in how really good StX would be.  At Colerain, Cathedral at Home, LaSalle at Home, and St. Ignatius in Cleveland.  I would be surprised if this game against Indy. Cathedral is anything more than a 3-4 point spread.  Look for the 'Cards by 7-10 over Sycamore.

6 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Agree with your picks so far Coletrain.

As for the Eds-Elder match-up, the traveling team is usually at a disadvantage making the trip up or down 71 in the same day. Elder has only won one time up north (2009) since these two started playing each other on a regular basis in the mid 2000's, and that year they had a state championship caliber team against a 4-6 Ed's team that missed the playoffs. That is not the case this year.  Word from the Elder folks is that they don't match-up well against teams with speed at the skill positions. If that's true, the game could turn into a beat-down in Ed's favor. Elder will need to win the TOP battle to keep the game in striking distance, and hope Ed's gets off to another slow start as they have done their first three games. The Elder offense has been successful at doing that the past few years. They employ a complex, multiple offense that emphasizes short crossing routes to get guys open underneath, and then use the passing game to set up QB keepers and draws for the occasional big gain. Discipline from Ed's defense will be key. They have a tendency to get overly aggressive and leave the middle of the field open for easy yardage. Linebackers will need to focus on their key read, and get proper depth in pass coverage to disrupt those short routes. If they can do that and limit clock-eating drives, Eds should win comfortably. 

I think Colerain puts in on Sycamore as well. I know this Cardinal offense may not be running as efficiently as it can, but when is the last time a Sycamore team has held them under four TD's?  

Yea Elder's defense has serious issues with speed, the secondary especially. Wouldn't surprise me if Eds dominates. How are Eds skill players this year....I know they have great lines 

1 hour ago, Coletrain06 said:

Yea Elder's defense has serious issues with speed, the secondary especially. Wouldn't surprise me if Eds dominates. How are Eds skill players this year....I know they have great lines 

Eds should continue their lathargic 40'points per game and hop off 😀

The D had some work to do although they held the USC commit to 3 yards in 7 carries 

still a young in battle team 

14 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Skill players are quite good, and should only get better as the newly built offensive line continues to gel. Strength at this point is the run game, and Ed's rotates two backs in senior Ty Rice (6'0, 205) and junior Jordan Castleberry (5'7, 180). Rice is more thunder to Castleberry's lightning, but both have shown they can take it to the house or bang it between the tackles. Castleberry is the more dynamic of the two in terms of home run ability. He's short and compact, but very built through the lower body. 

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6574390/jordan-castleberry

https://www.hudl.com/profile/5408907/tylan-rice

In the pass game, they use a four-WR set with senior Damerisse Freeman (6'3, 210),  senior Devin Maddox (5'9, 165),  senior Jalen Staples (5'10, 170), and junior Quintel Kent (6'0, 170). Maddox and Staples are typically the slot guys, with Freeman operating as a WR/TE hybrid and Kent being the downfield threat. Maddox is great in space, and they get the ball to him a lot on screens and jet sweeps. 

https://www.hudl.com/profile/5381433/devin-maddox

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5408874/damerisse-freeman

https://www.hudl.com/profile/6706861/quintel-kent

At QB they have been undecided and use both senior Zach Kincaid (6'3, 210) and junior Garrett Dzuro (6'0, 190). Both can run and pass, but Dzuro is the much better runner. Kincaid has had the better passing stats so far, but they tend to throw more when he's in there. I think Dzuro is just as capable a passer, but he's so good as a runner that they run more read-option with him. Coach Lombardo has indicated that he would like to settle in on one guy soon (maybe even against Elder) so that the offense can really start to establish continuity. I think Dzuro is the better option to really make their offense go, but with Kincaid being a senior and also capable of running the ball I have a feeling he may get the permanent job.  

• Thanks 1

Just a friendly reminder that WeAreColerain.com will carry a live video feed of the Colerain vs. Sycamore battle at Colerain tomorrow night.  It's a volunteer run outfit so one camera angle from the pressbox is all we've got so we do the best we can.

Coletrain06 - right on with your predictions.  Some see the Colerain offense as "eventually" getting better...I don't see it.  It's going to be a struggle to keep the streak alive as long as we continue to run Leyendecker into the backs of an OL that can't sustain their blocks and WR's that are average, at best, at blocking on the edge. :(

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 11:35 AM, OdbCle said:

2006 regular season

Colerain - 19
Sycamore - 8

Also held the Cardinals to exactly 4 TD's in the playoffs that same year, only this time losing 28-0 in the second round.  Then again in 2012, a 28-21 Colerain Victory.

-93CardinalsFan