Ohio Week 5 Discussion/Predictions

Coletrain06

St. Edward (4-0) vs. Buchtel (2-2) - Ed's 49 Buchtel 7

St. Edward came out last week and blasted Elder with a running clock 40-7. So far nobody has come within 3 scores of Ed's. This trend should continue this week as Bucthel is not on Ed's level. 

St. Ignatius (4-0) @ Elder (3-1) - Iggy 28 Elder 10

Ignatius avenged their loss from last season to Novi CC in spectacular fashion, winning 38-7. Right now Iggy has the best resume' in Ohio with 4 good wins, all by at least 2 scores, against Hoban, Mentor, Euclid, and Novi CC.

Elder got absolutely dominated by Ed's last week. Prior to Ed's the only good team played was Gahanna Lincoln, and Elder needed some end game heroics to win that one.

This game is at the Pit, which could give Elder an advantage and keep the game closer than it should be......but I still don't think Elder has enough to take out Iggy.

St. Xavier (4-0) @ Moeller (3-1) - St. X 28 Moeller 24

St. X is now 4-0 after a 31-7 dominating performance against Indy Cathedral. Chase Wolf had a great game throwing for nearly 300 + 4TD's. The X D played a great game against the run and pass.

Moeller beat the hell out of Lafayette KY 55-6. Moeller has certainly found a star QB in Miles McBride. He threw 5 TD's against Lafayette, and has had good games each week. Moeller's defense is still not very good.

Game Of the Week part 1. This should be a good game. Moeller's offense is pretty good, and may be some of the best around. They have a great QB, big TE and WR's. X also has a solid offense with a great QB and good WR's.....so I think this game will come down to the defenses....and I think X has a much better defense. 

Colerain (2-2) @ Hamilton (1-3) - Colerain 42 Hamilton 7

Colerain made a statement last week by just dominating Sycamore 42-0, and really found their offense in a game many were predicting Colerain would lose. Colerain tied their own conference win streak at 61 and since 1999 are 122-1 in conference games. Colerain got Eric Phillips back and what a difference he makes! He knocked a couple passes down again and put pressure on the QB... It finally became clear to me why the coaching staff has stuck with Gunnar at QB, and that's because of how great of a leader he is! All game and especially after he scored his first rushing TD to go up 35-0, he came back to the sideline like a man possessed, threw his helmet got up in everyones face shouting in a motivating celebration. It was truly impressive and something to see, and the whole team fed off his energy and leadership. He also was quicker with his decisons and reads, which Coach Bolden attributed to his hamstring finally being healed and healthy.....lastly, you can't talk about last week without just being amazed with Ivan Pace Jr. Colerain started him at FB and he was damn near untackleable, running 12 times for 160 yds and 4 TD's. He also had 4 tackles on defense. He is one of the best all around athletes in the city........Colerain crushes Hamilton this week.

La Salle (4-0) vs. Winton Woods (4-0) - La Salle 17 Winton Woods 14

La Salle played a good Scott County team and won 28-14. La Salle's defense had another great week, giving up only 1 TD on the first series of the game... the other Scott TD came on a pick 6. La Salle's offense was a little better, but the playcalling isn't taking advantage of all their strengths IMO.

Winton Woods has had a great start to the season and may be a top 10 team in the state. They have wins against a resurgent Northmont team, West Clermont, Springboro and a Canadian team. 

This is game of the week part 2 . Both teams play very good defense. Winton Woods has great speed, but La Salle also has good speed. Winton Woods will have to have good special teams, as La Salle will look to flip field position. This should be a great lower scoring game. turnovers and field position likely decide this one.

Wayne (3-1) @ Northmont (3-1) - Wayne 42 Northmont 28

Wayne started off shaky against a good Miamisburg team, but came on strong in the 2nd half to win. Wayne has played well after the opening week embarrasmment to Pine-Richland........Northmont has a good squad this year, with a big line and a capable QB. They hung with Winton Woods and beat Fairfield......This should be a game Wayne wins, but could be close. This will likely tell us if Northmont is for real.

Pickerington North (3-1) @ Olentangy Liberty (3-1) - Pick North 31 Liberty 21 

Hoban (3-1) vs. St. Vincent-St. Mary (4-0) - Hoban 24 SVSM 17

St. Francis DeSales (3-1) @ Covington Catholic KY (5-0) - DeSales 21 Covcath 20

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Damn, Winton Woods that good? 

They lost to La Salle by 1 score and beat Elder by 2 scores last year.........and they seem better this year.

Winton Woods isn't the most disciplined or fundamentally sound team.......but they are usually very stout against the run.

They also scheduled up this year, playing La Salle, Moeller, Elder, St. Francis DeSales, and Bishop Chatard IN.

6 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

I will be at the SFDS vs. CovCath game.  I'll come back with some thoughts.

-93CardinalsFan

CovCath has a major athlete at qb.  He is committed to Miami, OH and they have been drilling everyone.  I know SFDS has some major talent but was surprised at the but whooping they took last week.  CovCath is going to throw early and often.  I know Desales will counter with their ground game.  Should be a good 1.  

I'll be at Lasalle and Winton Woods.  

8 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

St. Edward came out last week and blasted Elder with a running clock 40-7. So far nobody has come within 3 scores of Ed's. This trend should continue this week as Bucthel is not on Ed's level. 

Ignatius avenged their loss from last season to Novi CC in spectacular fashion, winning 38-7. Right now Iggy has the best resume' in Ohio with 4 good wins, all by at least 2 scores, against Hoban, Mentor, Euclid, and Novi CC.

Elder got absolutely dominated by Ed's last week. Prior to Ed's the only good team played was Gahanna Lincoln, and Elder needed some end game heroics to win that one.

This game is at the Pit, which could give Elder an advantage and keep the game closer than it should be......but I still don't think Elder has enough to take out Iggy.

St. X is now 4-0 after a 31-7 dominating performance against Indy Cathedral. Chase Wolf had a great game throwing for nearly 300 + 4TD's. The X D played a great game against the run and pass.

Moeller beat the hell out of Lafayette KY 55-6. Moeller has certainly found a star QB in Miles McBride. He threw 5 TD's against Lafayette, and has had good games each week. Moeller's defense is still not very good.

Game Of the Week part 1. This should be a good game. Moeller's offense is pretty good, and may be some of the best around. They have a great QB, big TE and WR's. X also has a solid offense with a great QB and good WR's.....so I think this game will come down to the defenses....and I think X has a much better defense. 

Colerain made a statement last week by just dominating Sycamore 42-0, and really found their offense in a game many were predicting Colerain would lose. Colerain tied their own conference win streak at 61 and since 1999 are 122-1 in conference games. Colerain got Eric Phillips back and what a difference he makes! He knocked a couple passes down again and put pressure on the QB... It finally became clear to me why the coaching staff has stuck with Gunnar at QB, and that's because of how great of a leader he is! All game and especially after he scored his first rushing TD to go up 35-0, he came back to the sideline like a man possessed, threw his helmet got up in everyones face shouting in a motivating celebration. It was truly impressive and something to see, and the whole team fed off his energy and leadership. He also was quicker with his decisons and reads, which Coach Bolden attributed to his hamstring finally being healed and healthy.....lastly, you can't talk about last week without just being amazed with Ivan Pace Jr. Colerain started him at FB and he was damn near untackleable, running 12 times for 160 yds and 4 TD's. He also had 4 tackles on defense. He is one of the best all around athletes in the city........Colerain crushes Hamilton this week.

La Salle played a good Scott County team and won 28-14. La Salle's defense had another great week, giving up only 1 TD on the first series of the game... the other Scott TD came on a pick 6. La Salle's offense was a little better, but the playcalling isn't taking advantage of all their strengths IMO.

Winton Woods has had a great start to the season and may be a top 10 team in the state. They have wins against a resurgent Northmont team, West Clermont, Springboro and a Canadian team. 

This is game of the week part 2 . Both teams play very good defense. Winton Woods has great speed, but La Salle also has good speed. Winton Woods will have to have good special teams, as La Salle will look to flip field position. This should be a great lower scoring game. turnovers and field position likely decide this one.

Wayne started off shaky against a good Miamisburg team, but came on strong in the 2nd half to win. Wayne has played well after the opening week embarrasmment to Pine-Richland........Northmont has a good squad this year, with a big line and a capable QB. They hung with Winton Woods and beat Fairfield......This should be a game Wayne wins, but could be close. This will likely tell us if Northmont is for real.

Great stuff train.  I like all of your picks.  I'm going with the same score in the Moeller, St X game.  I'm just flipping the teams.

1 hour ago, zulu1128 said:

X/Moeller is always a tough one to call. I want to say X will win by 2+ scores, but it wouldn't blow my mind if Moe wins.

Agree....10-14 pts win for StX.   Trinity made changes at half with their defensive alignment against Moeller.  I look for the X  front six to be very aggressive.  X's so-called inexperienced secondary, as done a tremendous job so far this season.  Pressuring McBride is the key,IMO. 

10 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Great post here Coletrain

as speculated Iggy announced Alexander as their starting QB taking over for Hall.

i thought he looked sharp in the game against DCC and brings another added dimension being quick on his feet

lets see how he performs at the Pit

11 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Got to get out and stretch the legs.  Haven't been across the water for a game yet this season so tonight is the night.

Haha get there early. La Salle's parking situation sucks....at least when there's a good crowd. The last 2 times Colerain has played at La Salle I've walked to the game and I live about a mile away

2 hours ago, nptb17 said:

I've changed my plans to attend this game as well.

It ought to be a good game.  I've never seen CSFDS and it's been years since I've seen CovCath.  Am going with a grad so looking forward to it.  Didn't feel the need to make the trek to Hamilton this week...feeling good my Cards can escape with a victory vs. Big Blue.

-93CardinalsFan

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

It ought to be a good game.  I've never seen CSFDS and it's been years since I've seen CovCath.  Am going with a grad so looking forward to it.  Didn't feel the need to make the trek to Hamilton this week...feeling good my Cards can escape with a victory vs. Big Blue.

-93CardinalsFan

Prayers from The WC. xD