Flying under the radar or being top ranked? Which is best?

Fred

For a variety of reasons, we've been low ranked this year.  I'm not disputing the reasons for that as they are possibly valid.  Judging on the posts throughout the season as well as last week's pickem, many of the people here did not have us as among their better teams this year.  I've thought we were better this year than most gave us credit for but then I'm a homer and mostly not afraid to admit it. 😄

It has been nice this year not to have the target on our back.  Our team has not had to deal with the hype that comes with the high rankings.  I've seen what that can do to a team and the players and it isn't pretty.  I also think it might have given the team some degree of incentive to prove the rankings wrong.  Personally, I had us comfortably in the quarters with a chance to go farther.  I guess I bought into the hype for the other teams and didn't give us enough credit.  Shame on me.  I say this week the same as I said last week.  I think we can beat Milton but I don't know if we will.  10 straight years of 10+ wins in a season and 6 straight years of quarterfinals.  You can get used to excellence.

First question.  Would you rather be ranked highly with all of the attention and accolades or would you rather fly under the radar until the end?

Second question.  Do you think flying under the radar lessens the attention paid to the players impacting their chances of scholarships and playing at the next level?

32 minutes ago, Fred said:

For a variety of reasons, we've been low ranked this year.  I'm not disputing the reasons for that as they are possibly valid.  Judging on the posts throughout the season as well as last week's pickem, many of the people here did not have us as among their better teams this year.  I've thought we were better this year than most gave us credit for but then I'm a homer and mostly not afraid to admit it. 😄

It has been nice this year not to have the target on our back.  Our team has not had to deal with the hype that comes with the high rankings.  I've seen what that can do to a team and the players and it isn't pretty.  I also think it might have given the team some degree of incentive to prove the rankings wrong.  Personally, I had us comfortably in the quarters with a chance to go farther.  I guess I bought into the hype for the other teams and didn't give us enough credit.  Shame on me.  I say this week the same as I said last week.  I think we can beat Milton but I don't know if we will.  10 straight years of 10+ wins in a season and 6 straight years of quarterfinals.  You can get used to excellence.

First question.  Would you rather be ranked highly with all of the attention and accolades or would you rather fly under the radar until the end?

HSFB and a home crowd that presents an advantage with crowd noise, I’d go with higher seed option and home games throughout to the finals, or as long as possible within the state format.  

I’ll take home field comfort zone and normal daily routine vs a comraderie building long bus ride playoff game. 

Second question.  Do you think flying under the radar lessens the attention paid to the players impacting their chances of scholarships and playing at the next level?              

Don’t see a relation here. 

Two diff jobs of coaches, on the field and off the field aid (promoting their kids, networking for them, calling schools initiative etc) 

If you’re good, they’ll find you.  It helps to have max visibility at the brand name schools in the spring, but kids with skills usually are found and in coaches/recruiters watching games or practices, teammates with ability are also noticed for sure and the opponent players they face.  

A late bloomer (growth spurt) or a talent with grade issues, won’t ring the bell on school visits, but a who’s that kid #xx with sound tackling technique and ball awareness will. 

I read that this burner was at the Big House on Saturday.  

https://247sports.com/player/gatlin-bair-46118503/

Would be a sweet flip for Michigan.  He’s a track guy with football talent and has good height also… from Idaho.  

They’ll find you.  

#46 team rated in Idaho (#6188 nationally) by CalPreps as of today, with team rating -1.8 and record of 4-6.  

5 hours ago, Fred said:

People might be underestimating Grayson because they needed a miracle 4th quarter comeback to beat a 6 loss South Carolina team. 

17 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

People might be underestimating Grayson because they needed a miracle 4th quarter comeback to beat a 6 loss South Carolina team. 

Do the points not count in the forth quarter?  Do they not count in the last minute or two?  Would it make a difference if those points had come in the first quarter?

I don't understand why when the points are scored matters.  It was a win.  We won, they lost.  I don't care if it is 40-0 going into the 4th and we win 41-40.  That's still a win.  At the time, both teams were 2-1.  I don't know what went into the rest of their season and frankly don't care.  It has been shown many times in GA this year that teams with average records can and do top teams that are on paper at least, better.

Besides, you missed the point of the post in your attempt to denigrate us.  I simply used us as an example.  The question was and is is it better to be on top all season or underrated?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ga96 said:

From a rams fan

"Coach Bryant is an almost polar opposite. Adam is a good coach but I think he needs some seasoning. This season may make him a better coach if he lets it."

I said that.  Two totally different coaches and two totally different styles.  Both work.

2 hours ago, Ga96 said:

Another goats fan.

The right coach can unite the team and change all of that. Not sure Carter can stay off the phone and social media long enough to do that. But time will tell...

I don't think he is a Grayson fan.  Seems I saw something in the last week or two that his tea is a middle or south Ga team.