How fast do they drive in Atlanta? Is 100 the normal.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:36 AM, HooverOutlaw said:

Recently I went to pick up a car with a buddy in Atlanta. We were going 80-85 roughly in the six flags area and being passed like we were sitting still. The flow of traffic had to be in nearly a 100. I was driving the car we picked up and on I-20 at 1 point was going 95 and had several cars still going past us. Guy we picked the car up from said at times the flow of traffic will be 100 mph easy.  This saves time no doubt but dangerous in busy traffic. 

Yes, this is the norm which I enjoy, lol.  Seriously, there are some super speeders here for sure so the most important rule is to stay out of the fast lane if you're not passing.  Speeders come up on you very quickly.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 2:04 AM, Fred said:

That's being fixed by the $1 billion plus rework of the I285/GA400 interchange.  They still have a way to go to finish but it moves much better now.  My daughter lives between I-20 and I-75 right off I-285 so I go that way semi-regularly.

LOL, that remains to be seen.  Lets revisit this is few years and see it if actually makes a difference.  From my perspective, the only thing that will change is shifting where the bottlenecks occur.  All it takes is one accident and/or one break down to bring the system to a screeching halt.  I used to commute North from Sandy Springs to Alpharetta.  GA400 heading south is generally a parking lot by 6:30am.

On 4/8/2024 at 3:17 PM, Nulli Secundus said:

LOL, that remains to be seen.  Lets revisit this is few years and see it if actually makes a difference.  From my perspective, the only thing that will change is shifting where the bottlenecks occur.  All it takes is one accident and/or one break down to bring the system to a screeching halt.  I used to commute North from Sandy Springs to Alpharetta.  GA400 heading south is generally a parking lot by 6:30am.

Ah, the Alpharetta Autobahn!  Not as true as it once was but they still stop a fair number of people at 100+ mph on it.

The biggest problem in Atlanta is a combination of our success and the NIMBY attitude people that live here. The outer perimeter should have been started 30-40 years ago.  None of the politicians had the intestinal fortitude to push it forward and now the development has been so great that I don't know it can be built.  We still need to peel traffic off that is passing through and bypass Atlanta.  I285 did a wonderful job of that when it was built and the population was much smaller.  Now days though, there is very little difference population density wise between ITP and OTP.

• Like 1