How fast do they drive in Atlanta? Is 100 the normal.

Recently I went to pick up a car with a buddy in Atlanta. We were going 80-85 roughly in the six flags area and being passed like we were sitting still. The flow of traffic had to be in nearly a 100. I was driving the car we picked up and on I-20 at 1 point was going 95 and had several cars still going past us. Guy we picked the car up from said at times the flow of traffic will be 100 mph easy.  This saves time no doubt but dangerous in busy traffic. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Recently I went to pick up a car with a buddy in Atlanta. We were going 80-85 roughly in the six flags area and being passed like we were sitting still. The flow of traffic had to be in nearly a 100. I was driving the car we picked up and on I-20 at 1 point was going 95 and had several cars still going past us. Guy we picked the car up from said at times the flow of traffic will be 100 mph easy.  This saves time no doubt but dangerous in busy traffic. 

That's unusual for Atlanta.

Now if you were picking up a car in Athens........................

Rufus>>

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Northwest Metro Atlanta  is deadly  around this time of day when it comes to Traffic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Northwest Metro Atlanta  is deadly  around this time of day when it comes to Traffic. 

Driving late at night you will see people on interstates in rural areas driving this fast. Example driving to Destin say late after work people on 65 south will be running wide open south of Montgomery. But Atlanta was wide open in the middle of the day Saturday 100 mph +.

• Like 1

Driving late at night you will see people on interstates in rural areas driving this fast. Example driving to Destin say late after work people on 65 south will be running wide open south of Montgomery. But Atlanta was wide open in the middle of the day Saturday 100 mph +.

It's like that until about 3 or 4... 

State patrol lives Roadside Weekend afternoons over here... 

The traffic is so bad on beltway, I don't know how people can even approach those speeds . Last time I visited there 5 or 6 years ago , the 285 between 75 and sandy springs was some of the worst I've ever been in . This says a lot living in ca where the freeways are a nightmare 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

The traffic is so bad on beltway, I don't know how people can even approach those speeds . Last time I visited there 5 or 6 years ago , the 285 between 75 and sandy springs was some of the worst I've ever been in . This says a lot living in ca where the freeways are a nightmare 

Nah I-5 out yalls way  is unmatched in BS... 

Atleast the L.A portion

47 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

The 405 is bad too , but that 285 is beyond also

40 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

We saw Alabama play there and at midnight the 405 was busy at heck almost bumper to bumper.

Not gonna lie... the only Highway I don't mind driving or riding on at night is I-95 it's not that bad after 6pm... 

From Cocoa Beach,FL-Tybee Island,GA especially at night is a smooth ride that's not crowded in the slightest... it gets slightly congested at night once you hit D.C and Baltimore though... 

But I-75 and I-10 in FL & GA is Hell  from Warner Robins,GA on up... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Not gonna lie... the only Highway I don't mind driving or riding on at night is I-95 it's not that bad after 6pm... 

From Cocoa Beach,FL-Tybee Island,GA especially at night is a smooth ride that's not crowded in the slightest... it gets slightly congested at night once you hit D.C and Baltimore though... 

I hear Houston is terrible also, though I don't personally have any opinion on it . I imagine the D.C. area, the turnpike area near Baltimore, and Chicago can all get on the list

16 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

The 85 between Atlanta and Charlotte has become a nightmare. Charlotte reminds me of Atlanta circa 1990.  A hot mess.

On 4/2/2024 at 9:09 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Your idea of “slightly congested” is way different from mine.  I used to occasionally meet my brother-in-law at Tysons Corner, where he worked, and we’d drive to Woodbridge VA.  That is a 21 mile trip and it would invariably take 3 to 3.5 hours.  This was at about 4:30-5:00 in the evening.  Our first stop every time was the nearest package store for a 12-pack of something.

Overnight at his house, then get up next day at 4:30 to make it back to Tysons Corner for 8:00.

He did this every freakin’ day of the week.  Don’t know how he didn’t go crazy.  He probably didn’t need a 12-pack when I wasn’t there, tho.

• Haha 2

On 4/2/2024 at 8:09 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I-10 late is not bad I'm talking after 10 pm.

On I-65 south late 80's early 90's guys would leave Hoover and drive to Gulf Shores in tricked out Mustangs etc and make it in 2 hours and 30 minutes or quicker. That is 270 miles with 60 miles of it on 2 lane roads. Guys south of Montgomery at say 2 am would be running 140 mph for a straight hour. Miracle nothing ever happened. Remember there was 1/4 traffic back then. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

I-10 late is not bad I'm talking after 10 pm.

On I-65 south late 80's early 90's guys would leave Hoover and drive to Gulf Shores in tricked out Mustangs etc and make it in 2 hours and 30 minutes or quicker. That is 270 miles with 60 miles of it on 2 lane roads. Guys south of Montgomery at say 2 am would be running 140 mph for a straight hour. Miracle nothing ever happened. Remember there was 1/4 traffic back then. 

I had to drive from Saint Marys in Camden County to Ocean Springs,MS at 2AM... 

Man I-10 that late is lonely... 

Nothing but Deer,Black Bears and Florida State Patrol... 

2 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I had to drive from Saint Marys in Camden County to Ocean Springs,MS at 2AM... 

Man I-10 that late is lonely... 

Nothing but Deer,Black Bears and Florida State Patrol... 

Around Tallahassee state troopers are everywhere.  

That sounds like a terrible drive. How many hours was that ?

We left Hoover at 6 pm several years ago and drove to a cruise ship at Port Canaveral was a rough drive. 

45 minutes ago, HooverOutlaw said:

Around Tallahassee state troopers are everywhere.  

That sounds like a terrible drive. How many hours was that ?

We left Hoover at 6 pm several years ago and drove to a cruise ship at Port Canaveral was a rough drive. 

Took me almost 9 hours including breaks.... 

Took a break in Tallahassee and Mobile

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:36 AM, HooverOutlaw said:

Driving 80-85 by Six Flags with all of those potholes is a fools errand. 

On 4/2/2024 at 7:02 PM, CaliNorth said:

That's being fixed by the $1 billion plus rework of the I285/GA400 interchange.  They still have a way to go to finish but it moves much better now.  My daughter lives between I-20 and I-75 right off I-285 so I go that way semi-regularly.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:36 AM, HooverOutlaw said:

20 years ago I had to bring my wife back to Atlanta from Nashville in an ambulance.  Fastest trip from Nashville I ever had. 😉  I followed them until about Marietta then got in front and led them into Emory.  When we got there, I told the ambulance driver "Welcome to Atlanta where the drivers' idea of getting out of the way of an ambulance is to pass them!"