Ohio Playoffs Week 5 / Finals

Coletrain06

8 minutes ago, hardhit1 said:

Hoban had 300+ to 118 yards in the first half

WW gets the ball to start the second half and needs to score then force a TO to get back in this game

Winton Woods pass defense has been terrible.  They have no chance if they stay in the same coverage.  If I'm Hoban, I throw until my qb's arm is sore and then I bring in the back up and throw some more.

1 minute ago, nptb17 said:

Winton Woods pass defense has been terrible.  They have no chance if they stay in the same coverage.  If I'm Hoban, I throw until my qb's arm is sore and then I bring in the back up and throw some more.

I don't have Spectrum, so I'm listening to radio, and this was the vibe I was getting......seemed like a formation/coverage issue, because Hoban kept going to it succesfully.

4 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

I don't have Spectrum, so I'm listening to radio, and this was the vibe I was getting......seemed like a formation/coverage issue, because Hoban kept going to it succesfully.

Like Hardhit said the freshman qb has been money.  Doesn't look like a freshman at all and he is putting the ball on the money.  Just threw a wheel route to the running back that should have been called a catch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

What you guys think on Hoban..........They better than last year?..........How would you compare them to the D1's........clearly they're among the best in the state

A lot of people were sleeping on them with losing the first game to Iggy with a frosh QB who has grown into a champion vet

i think they could be the best but certainly up there with PC who I really like and Trotwood. Mentor will have their chance tomorrow to join the discussion. That's my take.

but any pollster out there needs to recognize this team.

8 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

What you guys think on Hoban..........They better than last year?..........How would you compare them to the D1's........clearly they're among the best in the state

I was high on Hoban last season.  Only saw them a couple of times this season not including tonight.  You know I don't care about division when I look at teams and Hoban is right up there with anyone in Ohio.  

1 minute ago, hardhit1 said:

A lot of people were sleeping on them with losing the first game to Iggy with a frosh QB who has grown into a champion vet

i think they could be the best but certainly up there with PC who I really like and Trotwood. Mentor will have their chance tomorrow to join the discussion. That's my take.

but any pollster out there needs to recognize this team.

Ohio should have had 15 teams ranked in the top 100.  

1 minute ago, nptb17 said:

Ohio should have had 15 teams ranked in the top 100.  

I don't know what the correct number or order is for teams but it is a stellar year for Ohio.........

Pick Central's best team ever 

Mentor's best team in a few years.

Colerain better than last year.

Iggy similar to last year.

Hoban similar or better than last year.

Trotwood-Madison one of their best teams ever.

Ed's better than last year.

One of Pick North's best teams

St. X better than last year.

Centerville, Northmont, with some of their best teams in a long while.

La Salle similar to last year. 

Winton Woods best team in awhile......maybe ever..

29 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Their offensive backfield was better last year. But this team may be just as good overall. The freshman QB has obviously grown up a lot since the game in the beginning of the year against Ignatius. Like last year, they can compete with the D1 big boys. The depth of the bigger programs has been their achilles in the matchups against Ed's last year and Ignatius this year. In both years, Hoban was the more talented team from a college prospect perspective, but they were worn out by the 4th quarter. But not all D1 teams have the luxury of depth like Ed's and Iggy do, and Hoban would be a handful for most D1 teams. 

As for this game, WW really crapped down their legs. Credit to Hoban for obviously coming to play, but this doesn't even resemble the WW team that got to this point. Real shame as this was the finals game I was most looking forward to. 

7 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Their offensive backfield was better last year. But this team may be just as good overall. The freshman QB has obviously grown up a lot since the game in the beginning of the year against Ignatius. Like last year, they can compete with the D1 big boys. The depth of the bigger programs has been their achilles in the matchups against Ed's last year and Ignatius this year. In both years, Hoban was the more talented team from a college prospect perspective, but they were worn out by the 4th quarter. But not all D1 teams have the luxury of depth like Ed's and Iggy do, and Hoban would be a handful for most D1 teams. 

As for this game, WW really crapped down their legs. Credit to Hoban for obviously coming to play, but this doesn't even resemble the WW team that got to this point. Real shame as this was the finals game I was most looking forward to. 

Sure did shit the bed. I don’t know if they fogged up the bus on there trip up or what. Hoban did look sharp tho. 

9 hours ago, CardinalTruth said:

Sure did shit the bed. I don’t know if they fogged up the bus on there trip up or what. Hoban did look sharp tho. 

Hoban wins 8 out 10 if Winton Woods doesn't change their defensive scheme.  They obviously couldn't cover the Hoban kids but they stayed in that 0 coverage all night and hoped to get pressure which never came.  I guess they figured a freshman qb wouldn't beat them.  All freshman aren't the same and Hoban had two that were next level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nptb17 said:

Hoban wins 8 out 10 if Winton Woods doesn't change their defensive scheme.  They obviously couldn't cover the Hoban kids but they stayed in that 0 coverage all night and hoped to get pressure which never came.  I guess they figured a freshman qb wouldn't beat them.  All freshman aren't the same and Hoban had two that were next level.

A lot of people always wonder how some programs can remain on top for so long and be perennial powers, and this I think illustrates the difference between teams with good coaching staffs and teams with elite coaching staffs. Elite coaching staffs are able to make adjustments on the fly and play that chess game. 

Very rarely, if ever, do you see an Iggy, St. X, Colerain, Mentor, Eds, etc team get steamrolled from start to finish without making adjustments.

I don't mean this as a knock on certain coaching staffs, but rather as a compliment to the elite coaching staffs. 

• Like 1

Mentor vs Pickerington Central - Pick Central 28 Mentor 21

Mentor has come a long way this season. With 3 year starter Tatarunas at QB and WR Shea, Mentor has a very good offense, and so far in the playoffs they have played good defense. After back to back wins over Eds and Iggy, nobody can underestimate Mentor anymore.

Pick Central was probably considered the favorite from most sources coming into the season because of the amount of talent they returned from last years semifinal team. They are a very senior heavy team with tons of experience. They have a 300+ avg on the Oline and can really get a nice push to give space for their super sophomore dual threat QB Crenshaw to work his magic. One of their best players, Xavier Henderson is an absolute game changer on both sides of the ball. Pick Central has some strong safeties that can be hard to throw on.

Pick Central really seems on a mission. Everytime Colerain punched them in the mouth and had an opportunity to go up 2 scores, Pick Central would make a big play or recover a fumble. Pick Central is good everywhere. Mentor has always been more of a finesse team, and a team like Pick Central isn't a good match up for them. We'll see how it goes. Mentor is 0-3 in title games and Pick Central is 0-1. Someone will win their first title tonight.

4 minutes ago, Coletrain06 said:

Mentor vs Pickerington Central - Pick Central 28 Mentor 21

Mentor has come a long way this season. With 3 year starter Tatarunas at QB and WR Shea, Mentor has a very good offense, and so far in the playoffs they have played good defense. After back to back wins over Eds and Iggy, nobody can underestimate Mentor anymore.

Pick Central was probably considered the favorite from most sources coming into the season because of the amount of talent they returned from last years semifinal team. They are a very senior heavy team with tons of experience. They have a 300+ avg on the Oline and can really get a nice push to give space for their super sophomore dual threat QB Crenshaw to work his magic. One of their best players, Xavier Henderson is an absolute game changer on both sides of the ball. Pick Central has some strong safeties that can be hard to throw on.

Pick Central really seems on a mission. Everytime Colerain punched them in the mouth and had an opportunity to go up 2 scores, Pick Central would make a big play or recover a fumble. Pick Central is good everywhere. Mentor has always been more of a finesse team, and a team like Pick Central isn't a good match up for them. We'll see how it goes. Mentor is 0-3 in title games and Pick Central is 0-1. Someone will win their first title tonight.

I really like PC in this one but can't discount Mentor after what they have done in the playoffs.

and they are bit more physical than most give them credit

the key will be if McDougal for Mentor can play. He had 120 yards against Eds and 160 against Iggy

game on if he is healthy