Az. state finals

aZjimbo

4 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Chandler polished off Perry 49-42.  Some local media members (not Richard Obert) are rumored to be looking to lobby for Centennial in Geico game over Chandler.  Curious to see if 1) any validity to that; and 2) if will actually make a difference.

I think Chandler is clearly the #1 team in Az. 

27 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

I think Chandler is clearly the #1 team in Az. 

Based off what???  Beating Perry Twice??  Being in bigger class???

Remember they lost twice (once to IMG so we'll excuse that one) and needed OT to get a W all before Mid-October...

Centennial just had the unfortunate experience of being Bama'd...They had a 2-point loss to Liberty that cost them district (Their only loss)...

I think the writers may have a case...

1 minute ago, Frosty4024 said:

Based off what???  Beating Perry Twice??  Being in bigger class???

Remember they lost twice (once to IMG so we'll excuse that one) and needed OT to get a W all before Mid-October...

Centennial just had the unfortunate experience of being Bama'd...They had a 2-point loss to Liberty that cost them district (Their only loss)...

I think the writers may have a case...

Seriously?

Chandler lost when Conover was hurt. Theyve been perfect with him. And Perry was actually pretty good.

3 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Centennial is not that good. Chandler is 17-21 points better.

Liberty wasnt what? Liberty sucks. Thats not Liberty NV, its Liberty AZ.

1 minute ago, Frosty4024 said:

Why?  Because they're in a bigger class?  Because they had Conover?

Read my post... I added some.

Because results and history and watching the teams play make it painfully obvious whos better. 

7 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Like I said... you realize thats no-name Liberty AZ and not the actually kinda good Liberty NV...  right?

I think you got them confused.

No I didn't get them confused....And don't act like in-state schools can't be decent once in a while...

I hear that about yall Georgia schools 24-7...

Had Chandler not pulled that game off in OT (regardless of who was playing) would yall be talking about them the same way yall are now?

I doubt it...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

No I didn't get them confused....And don't act like in-state schools can't be decent once in a while...

I hear that about yall Georgia schools 24-7...

Had Chandler not pulled that game off in OT (regardless of who was playing) would yall be talking about them the same way yall are now?

I doubt it...

Chandler beat Pinnacle by 25 with Conover...

Centennial beat them by 3...

1 hour ago, Frosty4024 said:

11-2 sucks now???  Ok..noted...

Also...we should just ignore the other schools and just go with the "name-brand" team... 

I think Chandler is way more than a brand name at this point. Probably the most talented program in Az.the last 4 years or so. Centennial is a very good program and probably doesn't get the publicity on a national level that perhaps they should. But I'd say Chandler would be a solid 14-17 point favorite over Centennial.

2 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

I think Chandler is way more than a brand name at this point. Probably the most talented program in Az.the last 4 years or so. Centennial is a very good program and probably doesn't get the publicity on a national level that perhaps they should. But I'd say Chandler would be a solid 14-17 point favorite over Centennial.

What happens when The QB leaves Chandler? 

MP seems to consistent. 

3 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Centennial is not that good. Chandler is 17-21 points better.

Liberty wasnt what? Liberty sucks. Thats not Liberty NV, its Liberty AZ.

Nevada Liberty played all of two games of consequence this year and got their asses kicked in both of them-what, exactly, have they done to earn any amount of prestige?  Because sometimes they'll manage not to get completely curb-stomped when they play Gorman?  Same thing goes for Chandler-we're calling them a "name brand" program on here over a squad that 1) has acquitted themselves well in head-to-head matchups against them; and 2) has won six state titles since 2006 (I'll give Chandler this-they've actually won state titles, something Liberty has not).  

I'm not going to put some spin on how great Peoria Liberty is because I do not like that program; at the same time this is a team that averaged 43 points per game, gave up less than 14 points a game, has played for a state championship as recently as 2014, has been a ten-game winner five times since opening in 2008, has a junior safety that's been offered by Memphis and Cal, a junior d-end also offered by Memphis, and their only two losses on the year were to their eventual division champion (who they beat during the regular season) and a 4A state semifinalist that is a bitter rival of Liberty (also worth noting that Liberty made multiple changes on their o-line following that loss, including switching to a different center and using their stud d-tackle at fullback/h-back; after that loss their average yards rushing per game jumped from 152 to 244).  Are they worthy of national accolades or respect?  I don't know, but if you're going to give Chandler credit for beating a Perry team that was hot garbage before 2016 it seems similar courtesy could be extended to Centennial with a Liberty program that at least has some sort of long-term viability.  

As far as the impact of Conover's injury on Chandler's season...which games did they lose because of his absence?  They were losing to IMG whether he played or not, and while his backup did not have a great game against Mountain Pointe Conover actually has a very mediocre stat line for his career versus the Pride (20-for-40, 222 yards, two touchdowns and four picks in two starts).  The fact is that Mountain Pointe was the only legit Arizona defense they saw this year and were particularly opportunistic as a passing defense (22 picks on the year, best number in Arizona's three largest divisions).  Maybe Conover is a difference-maker in that game for Chandler and they get the win, but let's not act as if that was a given based on his lighting-it-up during a seven-game stretch where Chandler played four teams that gave up more than 350 points this season.  Yeah Conover's great and Chandler has a great offense but they played in a division where very little defense was played.

Hell, Chandler was a poor defensive team-yes they beat Pinnacle by 25 in the playoffs, but let's call it what it was-they won a game 77-52 where they gave up 31 points at the half and 705 yards of offense.  In contrast, when they Pinnacle played Centennial they were held to their lowest point output of the season and gained 188 yards of offense.  If you naturally equates great offense to great football then yes, Chandler is a better team than Centennial.  If you have a proper understanding that style of play is going to have a dramatic impact on your final metrics of success (i.e. the scoreboard) then the answer is not nearly as clear.    

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Liberty beat no one.

Chandler would handle Liberty by 49 points at minimum, and Centennial by 17-21.

And who, exactly, did Chandler beat?  They played one viable in-state squad this season, lost that game, and at this point are being propped-up because they managed not to get completely bent-over by IMG.  Yes they had an injury to their quarterback, but from a win-loss perspective you have no way of projecting that impact considering Conover has been a very ordinary player when taking on Mountain Pointe.  

Of course, let's be real, you haven't provided one shred of evidence to back up your stance.  Chandler would have their way with Centennial and Liberty because....well, because you said they would.  Who can really argue with incredible logic like that.

• Like 1

It was only a scrimmage but Chandler and Centennial had a preseason meeting. Centennial outscored (wont say beat as it was a scrimmage) Chandler in it. I would personally favor Chandler in a head to head matchup but to say by 17-21 is ridiculous.

Also, I think Liberty (AZ) is a very similar team to Perry stylistically and in talent (Perry is slightly better offensively but I believe Liberty is better defensively). No way that Chandler would beat them by 49.