Another NJ Catholic HS in Danger of Closing

paladin4ever

Holy Cross, a NPG2 school, is in serious financial trouble and may close at end of school year. If this keeps up, the NJSIAA may need to consolidate the three non-public groups into two. Groups 3 and 4 are pretty solid. Seems like it's the Group 2 schools that are in trouble.

http://www.nj.com/burlington/index.ssf/2017/12/another_catholic_high_school_may_be_forced_to_clos.html#incart_river_home

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

An interesting thing about all of these schools closing is that the non-public Division will need to be consolidated or it may not survive. What happens if there are no more schools to play? Will this force the state to have non-publics and publics to play each other? 

The NPs should already be consolidated into 2 groups. I think the strong will survive as many have been around for years. I would love to see the look on the public schools if they were forced once again to play the big boys. Priceless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, aZjimbo said:

The NPs should already be consolidated into 2 groups. I think the strong will survive as many have been around for years. I would love to see the look on the public schools if they were forced once again to play the big boys. Priceless.

Is that where Wali Lundy went to school?  Was he on that 2000 team?  Kid could ball

1 hour ago, paladin4ever said:

An interesting thing about all of these schools closing is that the non-public Division will need to be consolidated or it may not survive. What happens if there are no more schools to play? Will this force the state to have non-publics and publics to play each other? 

Public vs. Non-Public will never happen.  But they’ll have to do some serious consolidation at this rate.  If it gets really bad maybe just reach an agreement to pay an annual tribute to the NJSIAA and try for the oft-discussed “I-95” league.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

It closed last summer. Their best ballers transferred to SJR and BC. 

Knew about the closure.  I just meant the whole thing seemed like a clusterf***.  A goal is set and exceeded after some serious $ was donated by some alums, and then the school closes anyway?  The whole thing seemed to be mismanaged from what I gleaned from the papers.  Hopefully refunds were given to the donors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJ2015 said:

That's what happens when you use an old source.  Reminds of the time I did a speech on death penalty and used some out of date books that referred to AAs as Negroes.  Well, my public speaking professor was none too pleased!  What could she expect from a NY meathead

Did you argue pro/con of the death penalty? Just curious. Was that what the speech was about

It was 30 + years ago.  But my views haven't changed much (and I tend to be more conservative on the political spectrum).  Happy to discuss over a beer.  But it mainly comes down to a few points:  (1) I don't see it as justifiable homicide, no matter how heinous the crime because the societal threat can be removed by imprisonment  (2) the desire to see society place value on all human life (3) resources, race  and access to quality counsel have an impact on sentencing and (4)  fallibility.  way more political than I meant to get in this thread.  Im a big Lundy (UVa alum) and Conner (Daughter's classmate) fan!