Wal-Mart Scan and GO

HawgGoneIt

I know that many of you don't shop at WalMart, but, the store chain has been a center of attention recently because of the credit they gave to the recent tax cut to them raising their starting pay to 11 dollars per hour. 

Well, of course soon thereafter they announced closure of many Sam's Club stores, and now they have started expanding their Scan and Go system. It's actually a brilliant system that I used for the first time today. You basically can scan and bag your purchases as you shop using a hand held scanner or app on your smart phone and then you use the scan and go lines or self checkout registers in order to pay and leave. You bypass having to scan and bag your own purchases at the self checkout or having a cashier ring you up and bag your stuff. 

This makes it extremely convenient for shoppers that aren't afraid of technology, and especially convenient for people that use reusable bags as you can bag as you shop. Once you hit the self check out you use the app or handheld device and scan a code on the screen of the register and it promptly transfers your scanned purchases onto the machine which is virtually an ATM that both accepts payment and gives change. 

Of course, the actual manned registers are now cut down to 6 or 7, which of course appears to cut jobs. At least at my local store it appears to do that. 

Anyone else seen this in their stores? Any opinions on the impact to jobs? I haven't seen any real reports on the impact, just using my observations to come to the conclusion that jobs either have been or will be cut due to this technological advance and expansion to additional stores in the chain. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I know that many of you don't shop at WalMart, but, the store chain has been a center of attention recently because of the credit they gave to the recent tax cut to them raising their starting pay to 11 dollars per hour. 

Well, of course soon thereafter they announced closure of many Sam's Club stores, and now they have started expanding their Scan and Go system. It's actually a brilliant system that I used for the first time today. You basically can scan and bag your purchases as you shop using a hand held scanner or app on your smart phone and then you use the scan and go lines or self checkout registers in order to pay and leave. You bypass having to scan and bag your own purchases at the self checkout or having a cashier ring you up and bag your stuff. 

This makes it extremely convenient for shoppers that aren't afraid of technology, and especially convenient for people that use reusable bags as you can bag as you shop. Once you hit the self check out you use the app or handheld device and scan a code on the screen of the register and it promptly transfers your scanned purchases onto the machine which is virtually an ATM that both accepts payment and gives change. 

Of course, the actual manned registers are now cut down to 6 or 7, which of course appears to cut jobs. At least at my local store it appears to do that. 

Anyone else seen this in their stores? Any opinions on the impact to jobs? I haven't seen any real reports on the impact, just using my observations to come to the conclusion that jobs either have been or will be cut due to this technological advance and expansion to additional stores in the chain. 

If implemented in our part of the woods it will cost Walmart considerably more than the cost of a few checkout employees...

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

it's been here in the DFW for Months sir.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dbcaptiron said:

If implemented in our part of the woods it will cost Walmart considerably more than the cost of a few checkout employees...

first thing I though of too but I gotta think this is well thought out and every breath you take is monitored. 

Full body scans on leaving unbeknownst to us? (or known) 

13 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Ur looking at the guy that installs these... I’m a independent contractor for Walmart  during the summers ...

did you ever hear of Hotel Walmart 

these people live in there remodeled Rvs and Buses and when they travel , they travel Walmart to Walmart and station in their big ass parking lot.... doesn’t sound that bad

1 hour ago, noonereal said:

maybe a test market because this was just all over the news up here

Hawg is in GA, I in NY. 

At least 6 months or more and we do have her here. That night explain why we have so many and they are all big and modern especially here in Collin county.

Walmart heiress Alice Walton. Walton is the richest person in Texas and the 13th richest person in the world

16 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Walmart is a disgusting company. They are the biggest recipients of EBT/Food Stamps in the nation. So, they're revenue is subsidized by the taxpayers.

To make things worse, they are DOUBLE dipping from the government! Besides the whole EBT/Food Stamp thing, they pay their employees so little, over 60 percent collect EBT or Food Stamps AND get free or subsidized government health care, among other government entitlements. All this, because Wal-Mart doesn't want to pay living wage and standard benefits. 

If EBT and Food Stamps were cut tomorrow, Walmart would be out of business. It is a disgusting business model.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

If my Walmart actually had 6-7 manned registers, I’d be doing the happy dance. 

• Haha 1

I have to say that the system worked very well for me on my first use of it. I've been using the self-checkout registers ever since they started them anyway as there wasn't usually a line there. On that system there was a scale that weighed the items as you bagged them, seemingly to help keep theft down. Those scales would drive me nuts because they didn't always work properly and made you wait a moment before scanning your next item.

I am not totally sure how the new system is going to work out in the anti-theft department though. I assume they pretty much know where you are all the time via cameras and possibly your cell signals. How they plan to monitor so many people using the scan and go is beyond me. 

37 minutes ago, zulu1128 said:

If my Walmart actually had 6-7 manned registers, I’d be doing the happy dance. 

Well, I think our store here had 28 registers before eliminating 4 to add the self-checkouts a few years back. During that time, they generally had 4-6 cashiers on each end depending on time of day and day of the week, which created  6-10 or so closed lines  at any given time anyway.

What I noticed since the scan and go implementation is that they have what I think is 7 registers. 1 express with tobacco products and 6 regular lines. I think for now they were all open but one, then 2 people at each scan and go area to watch and provide assistance. 

I suspect they will eventually start dropping how many regular lines are open as people shift to the new model, which is how the worked it when first adding the self-checkout lines. 

Me personally generally choose to pay a little more for the extra service I get at Publix, but, some items I go to Wal-Mart for, like household cleaners and paper products which are enough cheaper that it makes economic sense to drive the extra few miles. 3 people in a lune at Publix, they open another register, even if a manager has to do it. The still have bag boys/girls and will take your stuff to your car too. Hell, I don't often have to take the groceries out of my cart at the register as they do that too. 

Worth a few extra cents here and there for that to me. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:33 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

I've always been amazed that even at Christmas time, they only have six or seven aisles open! NICE TRY though, at minimizing the impact of Trump's tax incentives!

By the BY, I'll bet that it has REALLY pissed on your Left Wing whacko parade, that nearly 100 companies have given out bonuses, and/or stock shares, since the tax bill was passed! And EVERY SINGLE ONE, attributed their actions to the Trump Tax Cuts!

And jist fer shits and giggles! The largest big pharma company in Europe announced today, that they will be moving headquarters, and eventually a plant to Nu Yok!