The city of Savannah vs The Talmadge family.

Here in Savannah the Bridge that connects GA and SC Talmadge bridge is under scrutiny.  As its about to be renamed Or it will be.  

The bridge is named after an old Democratic Georgia Governor Eugene Talmadge. 

I'll go ahead and say it.... 

Yes he was a White Supremecist, He hated Blacks,He was a strong supporter of segregation. Matter a fact for 3 years he purged HBCU's of funding and even removed whites that supported Integration from political positions and Jobs. You either supported his views or you got the boot. 

But its not only that... He hated Republicans.... He hated Whites who did not align with him. 

You where either with him or against him he practically  ruled over Ga with an iron fist and alot of people hated him.  

But the bridge here was named in his honor.  

Well for over 20 years people have been trying to rename it. And the Talmadge family and The state have either kicked it down or just ignored it as a whole. 

But this time the current Governor Nathan Deal is getting involved. 

The Girl Scouts took votes and wrote a letter to the governor himself requesting that the name of the bridge be changed.  

The community here is also getting involved and making their voices heard.  

There are 3 possible names for the bridge. 

Juliette Gordon Lowe-Founder of the Girl Scouts. 

James Oglethorpe-Founder of Georgia back in the early 1700's 

Tomochichi Bridge-Chief of the long gone Yamacraw Native Americans who helped Oglethorpe create Savannah. 

11 hours ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

There are 3 possible names for the bridge. 

Juliette Gordon Lowe-Founder of the Girl Scouts. 

James Oglethorpe-Founder of Georgia back in the early 1700's 

Tomochichi Bridge-Chief of the long gone Yamacraw Native Americans who helped Oglethorpe create Savannah

A great case could be made for any of the above three. Regarding Eugene Talmadge, he was a product of his times. I bear him no grudge, but strongly support renaming the bridge. 

Good Read TheMaximum.  I used to roll over to SlowVana a lot when I was stationed at Parris Island, SC in the mid 80's., not much to do in Beaufort but that Army base was always full of Chicks at the Club on base.   And I been across that Bridge a few times.  Didn't know I was riding across good old fashioned Constructed Racism.  Thanks for the education.  Now I need to go learn about old Cooter er Talmadge. 

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

A great case could be made for any of the above three. Regarding Eugene Talmadge, he was a product of his times. I bear him no grudge, but strongly support renaming the bridge. 

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

Interesting read, thanks for another excellent opening post

So it seems it will be renamed this time?

This guy, Talmadge,  sounds like Trump.  

Idk I might not like Trump but comparing him to Talmadge  might be unfair... 

Trump may be an ass... 

But Eugene Talmadge was a complete Tyrannical Menace fueled by hatred and bigotry. 

Like Darter said he was a result of his time.

9 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

I live in his old neighborhood.

Betty Talmadge drive.

Talmadge lake and so forth.

The next street over from mine Is Talmadge Rd.

He was all that the above post cited and more.

The neighborhood surrounding the lake is today still a place to be wary of if you are black.

Deliveries are the only reason allowed for blacks to be in that hood.

Southern Clayton county

That's crazy.  Yet you are constantly told to not live in the past then the cruelty of the past is celebrated bluntly in your face especially in the Deep South.  Thanks for the info and that is insane.  I hope that hateful bastard is paying for all those unjust misdeeds. 

26 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

That's crazy.  Yet you are constantly told to not live in the past then the cruelty of the past is celebrated bluntly in your face especially in the Deep South.  Thanks for the info and that is insane.  I hope that hateful bastard is paying for all those unjust misdeeds. 

EUGENE TALMADGE 

He not only hated blacks he hated Republicans and Whites who didnt support his views. He was very open with his hatred.  

He forcibly removed Walter Cocking the Chancellor of the Georgia college system. Because he was a republican and he supported integration. 

Walter was responsible for allowing the first African American male to attend UGA and play sports back in the 20s and 30s. 

When Talmadge found out he had the cops arrest and remove Walter. 

After this the Supreme court swooped in and cut off all Govermental Funding to every single Georgia college. 

The Government stated "We refuse to fund hatred and bigotry" 

And another thing. 

Talmadge won 3 consecutive terms would be 4 but he died of sickness before being sworn in the 4th time. 

But it should be noted he only won the votes once... 

He won the other 3 by default because he tormented and intimidated other candidates into either dropping out or they would have unfortunate events happen to them. 

He was a political bully. 

1 hour ago, Rufus69 said:

Both Eugene and Herman had certain character flaws that marred their legacies.  A lot of people did back then.  But make no mistake...the Talmadges did more for the working class and rural communities of Georgia than any other person ever born.

Rufus>>

That much is true... 

He won over the working class and he did good for them. 

But like you said all that other stuff Overshadowed his work. 

And one thing we cant ignore though is how it took 2 Governors to Fix some of the political damage he did. 

43 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

That much is true... 

He won over the working class and he did good for them. 

But like you said all that other stuff Overshadowed his work. 

And one thing we cant ignore though is how it took 2 Governors to Fix some of the political damage he did. 

First of all...I never said anything about "all the other stuff" overshadowing what they did.  I said they had what I considered character flaws.  A lot of people in the South were anti-desegregation during that point in history.  It was how they were raised from their parents.  Hell, some people are STILL pro-segregation today.  Thankfully, the majority of those attitudes changed throughout generations...but none of that can change how Eugene and Herman stood up for rural Georgia.  And to tell you the truth...I haven't been overly fond of the Georgia governors since then.  

I'm not sure you're old enough to downgrade the Talmadges.

Rufus>>

5 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

First of all...I never said anything about "all the other stuff" overshadowing what they did.  I said they had what I considered character flaws.  A lot of people in the South were anti-desegregation during that point in history.  It was how they were raised from their parents.  Hell, some people are STILL pro-segregation today.  Thankfully, the majority of those attitudes changed throughout generations...but none of that can change how Eugene and Herman stood up for rural Georgia.  And to tell you the truth...I haven't been overly fond of the Georgia governors since then.  

I'm not sure you're old enough to downgrade the Talmadges.

Rufus>>

Im 100% positive Im not...