UIL mandates tackling certification for coaches

DevilDog

Coaches in Texas for 18-19 School year will have to be certified in teaching Tackling:

Every UIL-member school football coach, from middle school to high school, will be required to become certified by Atavus Sports, a Seattle-based organization focused on tackling techniques and tackle data analytics. The company was selected in a joint effort by the UIL and the THSCA.

https://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/et-football-uil-mandates-tackling-certification-for-coaches/article_76329094-2c71-11e8-90f3-7311c23235aa.html

Beginning with the 2018-19 school year, every Texas high school and junior high school football coach will be required to become certified in teaching proper tackling techniques, the UIL announced. The requirement was passed in an October 2017 meeting of the UIL Legislative Council.

I don't love more certifications, but honestly tackling is at an all-time low.  Seeing kids just flinging their bodies at their opponent and hoping for a strong collision is poor form.  I think long term in order for football to survive they need to do away with pads (go to pro-combat type padding) and use rugby tackling. I think long long term (maybe outside of the next 30 years) we could see football move to ironman format which will slowly move the sport away from bigger athletes (and larger collisions).

11 hours ago, westbankeagle said:

I don't love more certifications, but honestly tackling is at an all-time low.  Seeing kids just flinging their bodies at their opponent and hoping for a strong collision is poor form.  I think long term in order for football to survive they need to do away with pads (go to pro-combat type padding) and use rugby tackling. I think long long term (maybe outside of the next 30 years) we could see football move to ironman format which will slowly move the sport away from bigger athletes (and larger collisions).

Hopefully not in my lifetime!

30 minutes ago, Texasball said:

IMO some of the poor tackling we see on the HS level is due to the difference in the quality of athletes playing against each other.  

Most of the time the best athletes on the field are the ones with the ball..

thoughts?

I think the game changing to wide open offenses like the spread where more tackling is required out in space than back in the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust and kids are bigger stronger faster with more violent collisions.  Remember hell they have changed how you should positioned your head over the years.   I like the certification if nothing else it will give the coaches more techniques to teach. 

On 4/4/2018 at 9:46 PM, Texasball said:

IMO some of the poor tackling we see on the HS level is due to the difference in the quality of athletes playing against each other.  

Most of the time the best athletes on the field are the ones with the ball..

thoughts?

Probably true.  But if we continue to see poor tackling at the games highest level NFL, there will be emulation at all levels.