Does advertising get you to buy products?

HSFBfan

Does advertising get you to buy products?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Does advertising get you to buy products?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, noonereal said:

How do you keep aware of your subconscious mind? 

You don't. 

How much of your daily actions are determined by your subconscious mind? ;)

I stated my main purchases are word of mouth, no advertising involved and I'm rarely impulsive.

I'm a creature of routine and a penny pencher.

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

I stated my main purchases are word of mouth, no advertising involved and I'm rarely impulsive.

I'm a creature of routine and a penny pencher.

we all pretty much live an illusion

No need for me to get into it but it's fascinating how and why we do what we do, why we believe what we believe. 

How unaware we are of all this. How much is simply hard coded. How and what we process....

In the end, advertising works. It's not nearly as simple (not black and white) you see something on TV and go out and buy it. 

It's generally subtle, we are consciously unaware and it builds over time.  

18 minutes ago, noonereal said:

we all pretty much live an illusion

No need for me to get into it but it's fascinating how and why we do what we do, why we believe what we believe. 

How unaware we are of all this. How much is simply hard coded. How and what we process....

In the end, advertising works. It's not nearly as simple (not black and white) you see something on TV and go out and buy it. 

It's generally subtle, we are consciously unaware and it builds over time.  

I didn't say advertising doesn't work, I said it doesn't work well on me. (I'm not a TV hound for starters)  I track my spending DAILY.  I know what I buy and why ( I have brand, product and store loyalty.  There just isn't room for an advertiser to influence me to act outside my patterns)  Trust me, I know me better than you think you know me and my habits.  

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Trust me, I know me 

this is what we all think

personally, i am miffed as to why the trump economy is failing.

all kinds of regulations removed, GIANT tax cuts, trade war and an end to illegals taking our jobs...

and yet

no improvement 

Unemployment remains the same

interest rates are rising

stock market is tanking.... 

Just what is it that  Hilary and Obama are doing, in a conspiracy with the FBI to tank the economy after all these brilliant economic moves?  

55 minutes ago, noonereal said:

How do you keep aware of your subconscious mind? 

You don't. 

How much of your daily actions are determined by your subconscious mind? ;)

None of these guys ever woke up and had a hankering for something but couldn't figure out why they had the hankering I guess. 

It happens. You are going to the store to buy a tupperware set, not rubbermaid mind you, but tupperware. We don't know why we have to have tupperware over rubbermaid, but, we are set on tupperware. 

Well anyway, while on the way, you pass a piece of paper tacked to a light post advertising homemade green gobstoppers. You didn't really register it, but, while at the store buying tupperware, not rubbermaid mind you, you can't walk by the candy eisle without grabbing the last green gobstopper off the shelf. 

Welcome to the world of advertising. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, noonereal said:

this is what we all think

personally, i am miffed as to why the trump economy is failing.

all kinds of regulations removed, GIANT tax cuts, trade war and an end to illegals taking our jobs...

and yet

no improvement 

Unemployment remains the same

interest rates are rising

stock market is tanking.... 

Just what is it that  Hilary and Obama are doing, in a conspiracy with the FBI to tank the economy after all these brilliant economic moves?  

Yes, I know my habits and motivations better than a corporation.  Lol

bottomline, not everyone is impacted the same way or to the same degree by advertising.  This should be obvious.

frankly, the economy is doing well, the numbers support it, however, actions now could impact where it goes from here. 

the question is to look at each action and analyze it:  trade war and an exit strategy.  Effects of mil on the border and opportunity cost of such action, etc.

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

None of these guys ever woke up and had a hankering for something but couldn't figure out why they had the hankering I guess. 

It happens. You are going to the store to buy a tupperware set, not rubbermaid mind you, but tupperware. We don't know why we have to have tupperware over rubbermaid, but, we are set on tupperware. 

Well anyway, while on the way, you pass a piece of paper tacked to a light post advertising homemade green gobstoppers. You didn't really register it, but, while at the store buying tupperware, not rubbermaid mind you, you can't walk by the candy eisle without grabbing the last green gobstopper off the shelf. 

Welcome to the world of advertising. 

That's impulse buying and not everyone does that or as much as others. 

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yes, I know my habits and motivations better than a corporation.  Lol

frankly, the economy is doing well, the numbers support it, however, actions now could impact where it goes from here. 

the question is to look at each action and analyze it:  trade war and an exit strategy.  Effects of mil on the border and opportunity cost of such action, etc.

Well, I watch the Dow and it did so much better under Obie. Why is that? I mean, Obie was a communist and all. 

You would think a freedom lovin' american like... Trump? would have a much stronger economy. 

Just now, noonereal said:

Well, I watch the Dow and it did so much better under Obie. Why is that? I mean, Obie was a communist and all. 

You would think a freedom lovin' american like... Trump? would have a much stronger economy. 

The Dow is volatile bc of overpricing in the market.  It was inevitable it would correct.  I will have to evaluate trumps policies over the long term and see it's effect. A better analysis of the economy would be jobs reports, GDP, growth, etc.

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

The Dow is volatile bc of overpricing in the market.  It was inevitable it would correct.  I will have to evaluate trumps policies over the long term and see it's effect. A better analysis of the economy would be jobs reports, GDP, growth, etc.

But Trump was not even in office and he told me he was responsible for a bullish economy from the day he was elected.

A year and a half later, with all the great changes he has made, he is not responsible? 

That is interesting. 

1 minute ago, noonereal said:

But Trump was not even in office and he told me he was responsible for a bullish economy from the day he was elected.

A year and a half later, with all the great changes he has made, he is not responsible? 

That is interesting. 

I never said he wasn't a liar, this is why he doesnt have (never had) my trust.