Bifurcation theory

ChimpGrip

2 hours ago, noonereal said:

I have only looked closely at the quantum physics aspect of bifurcation. Particularly in  quantum chaos.... NOT!!!!!!!!!

Lol, it’s definitely not for everybody. Martin Golubitsky is a distinguished professor and author on the subject. Shlomo Sternberg from Harvard wrote a Book of problem sets on it.

10 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Lol, it’s definitely not for everybody. Martin Golubitsky is a distinguished professor and author on the subject. Shlomo Sternberg from Harvard wrote a Book of problem sets on it.

those are text books

I found nothing dummied down for the street folk. 

Most advanced sciences have a few books on  @GardenStateBaller and myself's level. 

can you recommend something? maybe with pictures and cartoon drawings? 

hqdefault.jpg

6 hours ago, noonereal said:

those are text books

I found nothing dummied down for the street folk. 

Most advanced sciences have a few books on  @GardenStateBaller and myself's level. 

can you recommend something? maybe with pictures and cartoon drawings? 

hqdefault.jpg

Lol unfortunately no cartoon books on it. But, there is a good book out there written by Golubitsky called “Fearful Symmetry: Is God a Geometer?” Going to order it soon.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:41 PM, ChimpGrip said:

Not the best place to ask, I know,  has anyone here ever studied anything on this subject before? Asking because over time I want to stair-step my way up to this level.

I hope you can stay the course and achieve your goals.  Just remember to know your symbols and follow the formula. Math builds the mind. 

First I'll admit It's over my head and I'm in the lazy part of my adulthood. Hell, I can't hardly remember the Quadratic formula I learned in college without refreshing myself.

Bifurcations seems to be an Interesting science for a young mind to venture into. I've never touch it, other than just glancing at it. Parameters? It seems interesting and useful of in many ways. Not a lot unlike how astronomers plot new solar systems. When a planet eclipses a star, an astronomer can measure the inferred wave pattern and wobble of the star to determine the size and orbit of the planet. Waves use curves and the slightest curves can be measured and patterns are formed.    

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I hope you can stay the course and achieve your goals.  Just remember to know your symbols and follow the formula. Math builds the mind. 

First I'll admit It's over my head and I'm in the lazy part of my adulthood. Hell, I can't hardly remember the Quadratic formula I learned in college without refreshing myself.

Bifurcations seems to be an Interesting science for a young mind to venture into. I've never touch it, other than just glancing at it. Parameters? It seems interesting and useful of in many ways. Not a lot unlike how astronomers plot new solar systems. When a planet eclipses a star, an astronomer can measure the inferred wave pattern and wobble of the star to determine the size and orbit of the planet. Waves use curves and the slightest curves can be measured and patterns are formed.    

That’s mainly why I want to learn it-it will elevate your ability to think and reason, and better problem-solving ability. And you can show off to your friends that you can do math that looks like a foreign language. 

While taking a break when working on some integration stuff, a math teacher of mine a few years ago told me about Golubitsky and what his speciality was (bifurcation). That was enough to spark interest, because it sounded advanced, which draws me in. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get to that level (it makes Cal 2 look like a breeze). But it’s that complexity makes me fascinated, and makes me want to know it. I’ll never be an expert because I have other goals, but I want to be able to explain it and work out problem sets (problem sets not only in bifurcation, but in most dynamical systems). 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

That’s mainly why I want to learn it-it will elevate your ability to think and reason, and better problem-solving ability. And you can show off to your friends that you can do math that looks like a foreign language. 

While taking a break when working on some integration stuff, a math teacher of mine a few years ago told me about Golubitsky and what his speciality was (bifurcation). That was enough to spark interest, because it sounded advanced, which draws me in. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get to that level (it makes Cal 2 look like a breeze). But it’s that complexity makes me fascinated, and makes me want to know it. I’ll never be an expert because I have other goals, but I want to be able to explain it and work out problem sets (problem sets not only in bifurcation, but in most dynamical systems). 

What field are you wanting to settle in?  The bifurcation theory seems like it has application in many areas but biology may be the most direct association.  I really don't know and am curious if you see any application to what you are eventually going to do.  

The math is no doubt impressive...and way over my pay grade.    

On 5/6/2018 at 1:57 PM, World Citizen said:

What field are you wanting to settle in?  The bifurcation theory seems like it has application in many areas but biology may be the most direct association.  I really don't know and am curious if you see any application to what you are eventually going to do.  

The math is no doubt impressive...and way over my pay grade.    

Thought I replied here, sorry for the wait. 

I want to go into the Accounting field as a career path in the area of taxation and oil & gas, but my goal is to become a successful entrepreneur, writer, polyglot, and investor. Learning bifurcation and numerous other subjects in math and science is really just for fun. To train my self to think at higher and higher levels. And to be a more interesting individual.

I think one should always be learning. I see too many people who have no interest in deep conversation or learning material that requires heavy duty thinking (such as bifurcation or group theory). 

4 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Thought I replied here, sorry for the wait. 

I want to go into the Accounting field as a career path in the area of taxation and oil & gas, but my goal is to become a successful entrepreneur, writer, polyglot, and investor. Learning bifurcation and numerous other subjects in math and science is really just for fun. To train my self to think at higher and higher levels. And to be a more interesting individual.

I think one should always be learning. I see too many people who have no interest in deep conversation or learning material that requires heavy duty thinking (such as bifurcation or group theory). 

Thats awesome.  Hope you never lose that passion to learn.  

If I was that smart I wouldn't have anyone to talk to.  😏