Coach Hoffmann Q&A

PrepGridiron

Hi Everyone,

Coach Hoffmann should be joining us in about 10 minutes

First, we'd like to welcome Coach Hoffmann to Prepgridiron.com.

Coach Hoffmann is a graduate of St. Joesph's Regional. Coach Hoffmann played football at Boston College and was signed by the New Orleans Saints as a free agent in 2004. Spending a few years in New Orleans, Coach also had a stint in NFL Europe in 2006. After his playing career, Coach Hoffmann joined SJR as a member of its faculty and coaching staff in 2009. In 2013, Coach Hoffmann was handpicked to succeed legendary coach, Tony Karcich, as Head Coach of the St. Joseph's Program for the beginning of the 2014 season. Since taking over, Coach Hoffmann has led the Green Knights to a record of 33-13 and a New Jersey Non-Public Group III Championship in 2016.

In collaboration with PrepGridiron Logistics, coach has been kind enough to give us some of his time and answer several questions posed by the members of this board. As we have done in the past, we will be asking coach the questions and he will be responding in the thread. We will be asking coach five questions and expect to open up the floor to members. Feel free to respond and ask questions, note, however, that it will be at Coach's discretion whether he responds further. Lastly, we ask that you keep your responses civil and on topic. The thread will be heavily moderated so that we can encourage other coaches to come on in the future. Thanks again, Coach, and everyone enjoy. 

The first question will be asked at 5PM EST.

I think being in the NFL has helped give me a greater understanding of what it takes to be successful on the field.  Even though I was with the Saint for 3 seasons on the practice squad and IR, it gives you a completely different perspective on what it takes to build a program and prepare your players.  Not everyone's process is the same, not every kid can be coached the same way.  The NFL is full of unique personalities.  You have to learn how to reach each kid.  The one thing I will say is when I first came back to coach HS, I thought we weren't very good because my last frame of reference was the NFL.  It turned out that we had one of the best freshman classes we'd had in a long time and that group went on to finish #1 in NJ.  It's all relative.

• Like 3

This is one of the most talked about questions ever at SJR.  I'm partial to some of the guys I played with, Cooper Rego to me is right at the top of the list.  That being said, Coop just ran the ball.  Coach K and I have had this conversation.  I believe he may tell you Greg Telemaque but he was also a RB.  In my opinion, the best overall player ever at SJR is Mark Fossati.  We've never had an impact player like him at every position he played.  

• Like 3

I believe the biggest challenge playing in this league is the level of coaching.  Everyone in the country knows about the level of talent but not a lot of guys know about just how smart the coaching staffs are.  You see it when our conference goes out of state.  We do a great job on the road.  All of us have played tremendous teams out of state with some superior athletes and very rarely do we get out schemed.  The athletes may get us some times but our kids (all of the teams kids) are in the right spots at the right times. 

The hottest topic in north Jersey non public football right now!! I believe that a league like that could definitely work.  I know the guys down in the DMV are facing the same issues as us.  I've spoken with a few coaches down there and they agree that a league that brings us all together would be a huge move nationally.  The biggest issue would be the cost factor.  People don't truly understand how much it costs to take your team away for a night or 2.  Then factor in the flights etc.  If we could bring in major sponsors that would help tremendously and I think it could work and be a great league.

• Like 1

I really appreciate you having me on.  I'm good for a few more questions.  I'm not sure it feels right.  LOL. When I came back to coach, obviously Coach K was here, Coach Toal at Bosco and Coach Stengel at Bergen.  3 icons in NJ HS Football.  Those guys to me are Patriarchs.  I never expected within 5 years to be the most tenured coach in the league.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Coach, I really want to thank you again for your time. If you have some more to spare, I know a few of the guys here would love to ask you a few questions. I also have a few I'd like to get in, but we are on your time. If you do have some time, I'll open it to the floor.

Auggie so many to ask but I’ll prioritize..

how is the RB and Wr situation next year since we graduated both wrs .?

we all are aware how the Committee did St. Joes dirty with Their ruling with what happened at the end of the PJ game, everyone question is who will be coaching against AhP and Imhotep?

EA6DC044-B41B-410F-8911-2A8D8FA0CDDB.gif

• Haha 2

To answer LiberalDonaldTrump first: Our RB and WR situation will be much improved this season.  We are extremely excited about both groups of guys.  In terms of the ruling with the state, our staff is as tight as its ever been.  I'm confident they will hold the fort down in my absence.

PrepGridIron: Taking over for TK was a humbling experience.  You think you have an idea of what it takes to run a program but you really have no clue.  You learn some things the hard way.  Coach K told me early on, if I coach for 30 years and win 10 games per season I still haven't caught his win total.  LOL

GSB: Our '97 team would do just fine.  If you ask some of the SJR loyalists they will tell you that team was the best we ever had. I agree 100%

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

I have had this question held for every coach we have had graciously join us, but never actually posted it. 

I guess, you are the lucky guy that is the first to get it Coach Hoffman.

Do you pay attention at all to sites like this? Meaning; Do you as a coach pay attention to the chatter of fans and alumni that post on sites like this? 

We got contacted to be a part of the Freedom Bowl and I thought it would be a great opportunity for our boys.  It's always good when you can add an academic component to the trip.  When we went to California 2 years ago we took the team to Camp Pendelton.  What an amazing experience it was for our boys to see our Marines train.

• Like 1