Coach Surtain Q&A

PrepGridiron

We are just under 50 minutes from starting.

We'd like to welcome Coach Surtain to Prepgridiron.com.

Coach Surtain is the head coach for American Heritage (Plantation). After a successful prep career at Edna Karr (LA), Coach Surtain was a four year letter winner at the University of Southern Mississippi. After college, Coach Surtain was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the second round of the NFL draft, which marked the beginning of an eleven year career that saw him garner 3 Pro Bowl appearances and a first team All Pro nod. Coach Surtain was hired by AHP in January of 2016 and has compiled back to back 14-0 seasons and two FHSAA titles.  

In collaboration with PrepGridiron Logistics, coach has been kind enough to give us some of his time and answer several questions posed by the members of this board. As we have done in the past, we will be asking coach the questions and he will be responding in the thread. We will be asking coach five questions and expect to open up the floor to members. Feel free to respond and ask questions, note, however, that it will be at Coach's discretion whether he responds further. Lastly, we ask that you keep your responses civil and on topic. The thread will be heavily moderated so that we can encourage other coaches to come on in the future. Thanks again, Coach, and everyone enjoy. 

• Like 1

It's only right to give back the things that I learned at the highest level. I first got involved because my son had been at Heritage since kindergarten and as he got older I decided to give it a try. It's been a wonderful experience molding these young minds not only in great ball players but terrific young men who will be an asset to their respective communities when it's all said and done. Some of the most influential people in my life have been my high school coaches and I want to have that same impact on the lives of these young men

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

It was truly a blessing getting to coach him. People think he came into high school as this highly touted guy. He was pretty good at the optimist level but he sacrificed and worked his butt off to be the best cornerback in high school and it's a credit to him and the rest of my staff for putting in the time to get to that optimal level. I got to spend everyday with him and was able to see the good and the bad but at the end of the day I was dad. On top of been a phenomenal football player, he's ten times that as a person and that made it really easy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Man I get into this debate all the time. I'm a New Orleanian to the heart, born and raised Uptown in the Magnolia projects. But to be honest I think the public schools in SoFL are better with the exception being my alma mater Karr. Warren Easton might be able to compete because they are coached by Karr alumni. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Both of those teams got good squads this year. You'll have to broker a game, so we can see it up close. 

Last of the pre-prepped questions, Coach:

Cardinal Gibbons is getting a lot of early season love. Last year's regional final against you all was a great game. What do you think keyed your victory and what do you expect this year when you meet them in September? 

4 minutes ago, Coach Surtain said:

Man I get into this debate all the time. I'm a New Orleanian to the heart, born and raised Uptown in the Magnolia projects. But to be honest I think the public schools in SoFL are better with the exception being my alma mater Karr. Warren Easton might be able to compete because they are coached by Karr alumni. 

The Floridians must have got to you, Coach. 😀

You don't think a Landry-Walker could compete? 

We don't concern ourselves with press clippings in June and July, we're too busy putting in work. I think our mentality won that game for us. We were down 27-6 and not one person on that sideline believed we wouldn't win that game. People forget they had pretty much conceited that game when we were up 41-27 with 4 minutes left then the unthinkable happened. But our kids kept their composure and showed why we've won 4 out of 5 state championships. We don't concern ourselves with opponents that we play in October, our focus is always on the next game. They can win July, we're all about winning December!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Coach, that's the end of the 5 questions. I know a few of these guys are chomping at the bit to ask you a few more. We are on your time, so if you have some time to answer, much appreciated. Let us know whenever you need to shut it down!

Forgot to add my appreciation for you  joining us today. Much thanks, Coach!

• Like 2