Coach DuBuc Q&A

PrepGridiron

We are expected to start at 8:30 EST.

We'd like to welcome Coach DuBuc to Prepgridiron.com.

Coach Dubuc is the head coach for Cardinal Gibbons (Ft. Lauderdale). Coach Dubuc served as an assistant at Cardinal Gibbons for 12 seasons prior to taking over the reigns in 2016. He is a 1992 graduate of Cardinal Gibbons and played college football at Texas Tech University before spending four seasons in the Canadian Football League. Since taking over the helm at Cardinal Gibbons, Coach Dubuc has posted a 22-4 record, making two consecutive post season appearances. 

In collaboration with PrepGridiron Logistics, coach has been kind enough to give us some of his time and answer several questions posed by the members of this board. As we have done in the past, we will be asking coach the questions and he will be responding in the thread. We will be asking coach five questions and expect to open up the floor to members. Feel free to respond and ask questions, note, however, that it will be at Coach's discretion whether he responds further. Lastly, we ask that you keep your responses civil and on topic. The thread will be heavily moderated so that we can encourage other coaches to come on in the future. Thanks again, Coach, and everyone enjoy. 

• Thanks 3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PrepGridiron said:

We are expected to start at 8:30 EST.

We'd like to welcome Coach DuBuc to Prepgridiron.com.

Coach Dubuc is the head coach for Cardinal Gibbons (Ft. Lauderdale). Coach Dubuc served as an assistant at Cardinal Gibbons for 12 seasons prior to taking over the reigns in 2016. He is a 1992 graduate of Cardinal Gibbons and played college football at Texas Tech University before spending four seasons in the Canadian Football League. Since taking over the helm at Cardinal Gibbons, Coach Dubuc has posted a 22-4 record, making two consecutive post season appearances. 

In collaboration with PrepGridiron Logistics, coach has been kind enough to give us some of his time and answer several questions posed by the members of this board. As we have done in the past, we will be asking coach the questions and he will be responding in the thread. We will be asking coach five questions and expect to open up the floor to members. Feel free to respond and ask questions, note, however, that it will be at Coach's discretion whether he responds further. Lastly, we ask that you keep your responses civil and on topic. The thread will be heavily moderated so that we can encourage other coaches to come on in the future. Thanks again, Coach, and everyone enjoy. 

When are you gonna start interviewing PUBLIC school coaches, instead of recruiting coordinators?

Coach, first question:

Programs in your area such as AHP and STA have been scheduling out of state games for a few years now. You are going to Georgia to take on a tough Milton squad, do you expect to have OOS games on a more consistent basis and do you think this prepares your team for league play and playoffs?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coach DuBuc said:

HI, I'm here ready to start

Great, Coach. In case you missed it:

Programs in your area such as AHP and STA have been scheduling out of state games for a few years now. You are going to Georgia to take on a tough Milton squad, do you expect to have OOS games on a more consistent basis and do you think this prepares your team for league play and playoffs?

Just now, Coach DuBuc said:

Cardinal Gibbons has always had their eye on an OOS. The experience that comes along with it is something the players and their families will never forget. Social Media, Max Preps, and prep gridiron all have played a large role in making H.S. football a Friday Night Must See. As programs grow, the opportunity to be a part of OOS really becomes a reality. I will say there is a huge commitment from the coaches and players to make this happen.

Thanks for the shout out! Second question:

Can you let us know how many returners you have coming back on each side of the ball and where you feel your teams area of strength is going into the season?

Our returning numbers are 7 on Defense and 8 on Offense. Our guys that played last year have had a big part in our success. I feel goos about our OL/DL. Those guys have worked really hard this summer. The big games are won on those 2 spots. I do like the competition at the skill positions. Those guys will have to work every day in practice to compete for a job. 

I’m looking forward to seeing what your experienced signal caller can do this season with that offense. 

Next question:

Can you give us insight into any meaningful transfers or non-returning/sleeper players that may have a big impact this season?

• Thanks 1

We really do not have a bunch of transfers. We build the program with the freshman and jv teams; however, John Weaver OL is Junior, Mike Antoine DB a sophomore, and Vamir Cardet WR also a sophomore. The signal caller (scalzo) has thrown 50 touchdowns in two years and is currently committed to Kentucky.

Wow! Sounds like with talent in the lower classes, you guys will be good for the foreseeable future.

Fourth question, AHP has gotten the best of you the last two seasons handing you your only losses as a head coach, has this rivalry elevated you and your team's work ethic and/or play? And, if so, how?

Our district has always been one of the toughest in the State. That should not change in 5A again this year. The plan after Spring Ball was to do our best in the weight room and conditioning. At this point we have done that. We were hit hard at the graduation of our receiving core. I feel it is one of our deepest positions. 

Definitely a tough slate in district. Last question, Coach:

Why did you choose the Air Raid Offense and is there any unique tweaks you have made to it to make it unique to Cardinal Gibbons football?

• Like 1

As a player at Texas Tech and the Canadian Football League, I have always loved throwing the ball. I have made it a point over the years to get close to Mike Leach, Lincoln Riley and Landon Hoeffer. We all ask questions on really how the defense is playing us. We major in throwing; however, we really will incorporate the running when teams leave the box. We really try to play the numbers game.

That's awesome. I hope to catch one of your games this season to see the offense at work.

That was the last question, coach. We thank you so much for your time. If you have some more to spare, we'd love to open it up to the members for questions. We are on your time, though, so let us know at any time if you need to head out. Thanks and best of luck this season.

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Thx for your time, Coach!! It would appear from us fans outside of FL that there should be a natural rivalry between CG and STA. Why don't you two power privates play each other annually? That game, plus a quality out of state game, would def improve both teams' SOS year after year while preparing CG for its rigorous district regular season. And logistically it's a no-brainer. 

We had same idea for a question it seems 😂 

Sometimes those decisions aren't up to the head coaches

If possible could you elaborate on that? 

Ik that some schools operate differently, at my school the Athletic director lets each coach schedule games, some schools have Athletic directors who make the schedules themselves 

Is there mutual input at cardinal gibbons between you and the athletic director When making scheduling decisions?

To get over the hump, I feel our summer program has put our guys in position to compete for an entire game, and maybe 4 over times the next time. 

That was a crazy game,  i didn't get to watch it but was following on Twitter, i wish that game was televised 

Best 2 teams in 5a put on a classic 

3 minutes ago, Coach DuBuc said:

I am a local, grew up less than 5 miles from Cardinal Gibbons. South Florida is talent rich, and plenty of athletes to go around. I think our reputation as an air raid team has helped gains interest from potential players that did not have an interest before. 

We've had a few Coaches (Alumbaugh and Hoffmann) in the Q&A that are now coaching their alma maters. What is that experience like and what are the things you like and don't like about it?

• Like 1

Great question...... We would like to not only have a great game, but also be able to give the kids a lifetime experience including football and educational experiences. 

I'm a De La Salle alum, we have some good educational experiences in the Bay Area!  😎

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

So does the NYC tri-state area minutes from Bergen Catholic, Don Bosco and St Joseph Regional!! And St Peters Prep!

Just stay away from bordering states. #BORING

You do realize border wars was the early form of oos games

FL vs GA border wars come to mind, I've got records of that going back 100+ years