Amex Centurion Card

ChimpGrip

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

You have to pay $2500 a year in hopes someone "in the know" can recognize how much of a tool bag you are? Lol. 

Stick to a realistic one. If you fly frequently and airline one is good to go. I have the Southwest one and never pay for flights 

The Centurion Lounges are pretty dang nice, and there are many other perks. And I guess you could say that. It’s basically just a status symbol. I’d have to be making a ton of money and spending a lot (we’re talking $300k or more) on your card to even get an invite. Unrealistic and ridiculous, when viewed logically. 

Southwest is a nice card, I have quite a few family members with one.

3 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

The Centurion Lounges are pretty dang nice, and there are many other perks. And I guess you could say that. It’s basically just a status symbol.

That's exactly what it is. If you are making the kind of money for it to make sense, then it comes down to how much you are into differentiating yourself from the horde. If that means a lot to you, then get one. If it does not, $2,500 can get you a super nice night on the town, a decent suit, a vacation, etc. 

11 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

That's exactly what it is. If you are making the kind of money for it to make sense, then it comes down to how much you are into differentiating yourself from the horde. If that means a lot to you, then get one. If it does not, $2,500 can get you a super nice night on the town, a decent suit, a vacation, etc. 

Yep, all true points.  Even If i ever became wealthy, it’s still meh at best.  

Whats your opinion on the Vanguard VWO ETF? If it’s down to $40/share (a 52 week low), is that to time to buy? Or am I completely off track here?

40 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Whats your opinion on the Vanguard VWO ETF? If it’s down to $40/share (a 52 week low), is that to time to buy? Or am I completely off track here?

I think it's probably a good long term investment, but a poor trade. If your horizon is 5 years or more down the road, then it may not be a bad purchase at this time.

Bear in mind the fact that all markets, domestic and international, are a bit wobbly, so in the short term it may go lower. 

17 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I think it's probably a good long term investment, but a poor trade. If your horizon is 5 years or more down the road, then it may not be a bad purchase at this time.

Bear in mind the fact that all markets, domestic and international, are a bit wobbly, so in the short term it may go lower. 

Yeah I would hold it for the long term. 

What is your opinion on buying individual stocks? 

Also, is it worth looking into the space exploration industry? I just read a piece over some companies that could “outrun” SpaceX. One of those being Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings (AJRD)-$29/share.

50 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Yeah I would hold it for the long term. 

What is your opinion on buying individual stocks? 

Also, is it worth looking into the space exploration industry? I just read a piece over some companies that could “outrun” SpaceX. One of those being Aerojet Rocketdyne Holdings (AJRD)-$29/share.

Then you can buy it here.

If you plan on buying individual stocks, you will have to do a lot of work. First, you need to understand who you are. For this will determine whether you are an investor or trader. If you are an investor, you will need to do a fair amount of fundamental analysis. This will mean going through Form 10Ks on a regular basis and reading up on the industries in which your potential investments operate. In addition, you will also need to have an exit plan if the investment does not go according to plan. This will depend on the percentage of your trading capital you commit to the position. The more concentrated your holdings the less loss leeway you all allow the stock. In any event, you should never let a purchase turn into a 50% loss as you will need to gain 100% just to break even. If you are fairly well diversified then maybe you could let losses run 25 to 30% before pulling the plug.

If you decide you are a trader, then you will need to get comfortable with technical analysis. This does not mean you exclude fundamental analysis. It just means that in the short run a stock's technical situation is more important to its price progress. 

Regarding space exploration companies, I have never looked at these companies in detail. My concern is that they could end up largely at the whim of government policy given the nature of space exploration.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Then you can buy it here.

If you plan on buying individual stocks, you will have to do a lot of work. First, you need to understand who you are. For this will determine whether you are an investor or trader. If you are an investor, you will need to do a fair amount of fundamental analysis. This will mean going through Form 10Ks on a regular basis and reading up on the industries in which your potential investments operate. In addition, you will also need to have an exit plan if the investment does not go according to plan. This will depend on the percentage of your trading capital you commit to the position. The more concentrated your holdings the less loss leeway you all allow the stock. In any event, you should never let a purchase turn into a 50% loss as you will need to gain 100% just to break even. If you are fairly well diversified then maybe you could let losses run 25 to 30% before pulling the plug.

If you decide you are a trader, then you will need to get comfortable with technical analysis. This does not mean you exclude fundamental analysis. It just means that in the short run a stock's technical situation is more important to its price progress. 

Regarding space exploration companies, I have never looked at these companies in detail. My concern is that they could end up largely at the whim of government policy given the nature of space exploration.   

Either method though is a route to build wealth?

6 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Either method though is a route to build wealth?

Either can build wealth. But some individuals may fail miserably at one and succeed at the other. That is why it's important to know yourself. For psychology will determine what you do best or even if this game is for you or not. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 12:37 PM, DarterBlue said:

Either can build wealth. But some individuals may fail miserably at one and succeed at the other. That is why it's important to know yourself. For psychology will determine what you do best or even if this game is for you or not. 

What do you think about buying amazon when the stock falls below $1700? They seem to be disrupting every industry and made an announcement yesterday that puts UPS in their sights. What concerns me about them is any antitrust issues coming up in the future.

20 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

What do you think about buying amazon when the stock falls below $1700? They seem to be disrupting every industry and made an announcement yesterday that puts UPS in their sights. What concerns me about them is any antitrust issues coming up in the future.

I don't know about Amazon. On the one hand, the company is dominant. On the other hand everyone already knows it's dominant. I guess it comes down to how much growth is left in the company, and whether at some stage they will stumble as most companies eventually do. At this stage, for me, I would not touch it. But that is not a pan of the stock. It will do fine if it maintains its dominance. It's just that I would not feel comfortable owning it here. It is already up big on the year despite the market's turbulence.