3D Gun decision

paladin4ever

22 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

Yes, that’s correct. But, the decision boils down to not allowing the plans to be shared actually violating free speech.

Are they being suppressed the plan because of national security? Having weapons you cant detect would be a national security nightmare and I'm a huge supporter of the 2nd amendment.

So does the decision mean the plans are gonna be put out there?

Just now, HSFBfan said:

Are they being suppressed the plan because of national security? Having weapons you cant detect would be a national security nightmare and I'm a huge supporter of the 2nd amendment.

So does the decision mean the plans are gonna be put out there?

Yes, while they can't be posted online, it appears that they can't prevent them from being e-mailed, mailed, securely transmitted, or otherwise published.

• Like 1

I dont get what people mean when they say that the guns cant be detected. There are two different types of plans available on the internet. An all polymer gun that cant fire a shot without blowing up. Like physically blowing up and possibly injuring the person that fires it. The second type is a polymer firearm receiver, such as a glock or AR-15, that uses metal parts, barrels, etc, which are easily detectable by a metal detector.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ron169 said:

I dont get what people mean when they say that the guns cant be detected. There are two different types of plans available on the internet. An all polymer gun that cant fire a shot without blowing up. Like physically blowing up and possibly injuring the person that fires it. The second type is a polymer firearm receiver, such as a glock or AR-15, that uses metal parts, barrels, etc, which are easily detectable by a metal detector.

From what I read the 3-d printed guns with these plans are not detectable by a metal detector 

28 minutes ago, ron169 said:

Which means they will explode if fired. ive seen a couple videos where they print the gun and fire it, and it explodes

But with the explosion if its able to kill 1 there is no way of stopping it. Unlike with a real gun at least a metal detector can detect that

1 hour ago, paladin4ever said:

Yes, that’s correct. But, the decision boils down to not allowing the plans to be shared actually violating free speech.

I did not read it that way, not sure of all the limiting laws currently in place, but as written above (glossed intentionally LOL) my .02 cents is that it stops free speech or allows restriction in a specific environment..The Internet..

You can walk down the street and disseminate or speak your info any other way is not overly limiting..so the question as it is pointed...

how much of a free-for-all should exist there (the internet)?  I've always been a 'internet freedom advocate' but at some point even I have to realize that the good ole internet is infested with impressionable kiddies (and morons)...    Should we allow poison recipes, or bomb instructions beyond homemade guns to be there as well?   Dig a bit and I'm sure you will find some...   

If you were to disseminate such information  or skills to kiddies in person, and they then caused havoc, would you not be arrested as co-conspirator currently as well? Is this blind upload policy really any different? (not that it will stop the Nigerian uploads so it is moot policy really)….

Would probably have to chew on this one for a while for a rational stand...you could wobble on both sides...and as I said, I'm a free internet' advocate usually...

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

But with the explosion if its able to kill 1 there is no way of stopping it. Unlike with a real gun at least a metal detector can detect that

That's just it, study the dynamics of a gun. The barrel integrity during the controlled explosion of the gun powder is what gives a rounds it's velocity. In this incident, the barrel integrity is shot the second the chamber pressure is sufficient to breach the chamber/barrel integrity. Standard pistol rounds produce north of 20kpsi, and that plastic fails well before then, this greatly reducing velocity of the discharged round, thus making it a lot less lethal

1 minute ago, ron169 said:

That's just it, study the dynamics of a gun. The barrel integrity during the controlled explosion of the gun powder is what gives a rounds it's velocity. In this incident, the barrel integrity is shot the second the chamber pressure is sufficient to breach the chamber/barrel integrity. Standard pistol rounds produce north of 20kpsi, and that plastic fails well before then, this greatly reducing velocity of the discharged round, thus making it a lot less lethal

I agree with with what you are saying I'm just saying the other side of it. 

Once the core of the gun is printed, it is not difficult to reinforce the key parts with carbon fiber. 

The bigger issue is; in the world which we now live ... we do not have a constitution that has grown or maybe better said; adjusted with the times and the legal system has manipulated it to the point that has has not been good for the country.

These gun plans, under no circumstances should be allowed to be made public; internet, email, text or otherwise!  We cannot keep a handle on all of the wacko's we have walking around now ( just look at what happened yesterday )... and we want to make it even easier for them with this 3D crap? How naive or stupid do we want to be?

The 2nd amendment as it was originally intended has its place but we have long extended how we interpret it ( through special interest groups and their lobby's ) beyond what is truly best for this country.

3 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Once the core of the gun is printed, it is not difficult to reinforce the key parts with carbon fiber. 

No need for this.  3D metal printing is already well advanced from a technological perspective.  Some very basic finishing is all that is required.  The metal quality is in fact more dense than other forming methods.  The equipment is not all that expensive. Any yahoo that can create a solid file, and there are tens of thousands of people with this skill, can design the components in no time.

I question everyone’s  knowledge of 3D printing.....this is way to hyped.. being in the aviation field I know and have the skills to program and operate 3D printing. From plastics to metals, synthetic materials you haven’t even heard of yet. Yes there are synthetic composite materials that actually outperform metal for high heat and durability. Now for the general public or a hobby, you would have to spend some serious coin to obtain the machine, let alone the alloys and material to be successful. 

5 minutes ago, On2whls said:

No need for this.  3D metal printing is already well advanced from a technological perspective.  Some very basic finishing is all that is required.  The metal quality is in fact more dense than other forming methods.  The equipment is not all that expensive. Any yahoo that can create a solid file, and there are tens of thousands of people with this skill, can design the components in no time.

In time yes as the 3D printing industry will take over machining . Years to go before it’s common. Or to have access to the materials and equipment someone wants as a hobby. 

Just now, CardinalTruth said:

In time yes as the 3D printing industry will take over machining . Years to go before it’s common. Or to have access to the materials and equipment someone wants as a hobby. 

Sure, it will be a while before it replaces mass production equipment.  But, I’ve seen some pretty amazing “additive manufactured” (the new way it is described to encompass polymers, elastomers, and metal) parts made from metal.  Believe me, the people who will use that technology for sinister (and profitable) intent are not hobbyists.