Top 50 Greatest High School Football Coaches of All-Time

LiberalDonaldTrump

52 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

And judging by the longstanding results, he does just that.

His private life has nothing to do with his professional life. The kids don't go home with him. What he chooses to do with his own time so long as it doesn't break the law is up to him.

IMO, this is just you and those that feel like you playing moral police. And I find that most that choose to do this are throwing stones from glass houses. Not saying you are --- just that most do.

Yeah, you gotta good point, but we are talking about molding young men component... so that said, it's important to walk the talk.

BGW

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ThunderRam said:

His private life has nothing to do with his professional life. The kids don't go home with him. What he chooses to do with his own time so long as it doesn't break the law is up to him.

IMO, this is just you and those that feel like you playing moral police. And I find that most that choose to do this are throwing stones from glass houses. Not saying you are --- just that most do.

It’s not just about football to be a coach

u gotta lead by example 

and changing students grades, head butting minors, and sticking ur dick where it don’t belong 

cmon 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Yeah, you gotta good point, but we are talking about molding young men component... so that said, it's important to walk the talk.

BGW

Again, I'm still not understanding the argument. You may not like what the guy does, but that doesn't disqualify him as a great coach. Facts are facts and the guy has produced.

I can say til I'm blue in the face that Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are liars, cheaters and that I don't like many of the things they've done over the years or how they've handled themselves --- however the result are still there. And they are still considered among the GOAT. Period. My personal moral compass doesn't change any of that.

Like or hate Rush Probst, he's still one of the greatest to ever coach HS football.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

I guess everyone has their own opinion of what they feel encompasses a great coach. For me, it includes what they do on and off the field. I grew up with all my coaches teaching us to always be good young men on and off the field and to never do anything to embarrass the team or they school. We can agree to disagree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Again, I'm still not understanding the argument. You may not like what the guy does, but that doesn't disqualify him as a great coach. Facts are facts and the guy has produced.

I can say til I'm blue in the face that Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are liars, cheaters and that I don't like many of the things they've done over the years or how they've handled themselves --- however the result are still there. And they are still considered among the GOAT. Period. My personal moral compass doesn't change any of that.

Like or hate Rush Probst, he's still one of the greatest to ever coach HS football.

Rush has literally changed the landscape of HSFB in Georgia. 

It can't even really be argued. 

There is many different ways to measure what makes a coach great. Of course, haters are going to go with whatever doesn't appear to be in favor of those they hate. 

He is definitely one of the all time greats. No need for his name to be on a list from a website replete (go get 'em Drummer) with erroneous stats. They can't even proofread their schedules, yet we are going to give credence to some list they made? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

Ummmnnn.... It’s Propst and ummmnnn, Jerry Falwell, Jim and Tammy Faye Baker I’m sure are some of the greatest evangelicals known, but a sports figure gets a pass?

Sorry, no. 

BGW

p.s. Now don’t go pissing me off, I’m going real easy right now😈

10 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

I guess everyone has their own opinion of what they feel encompasses a great coach. For me, it includes what they do on and off the field. I grew up with all my coaches teaching us to always be good young men on and off the field and to never do anything to embarrass the team or they school. We can agree to disagree.

Thing is, I don't totally disagree with you. I certainly prefer what you're describing. That's what we should all hope and strive for. But I also recognize that we don't live in a perfect world. People make mistakes. It's called being human. Kinda like how we have different degrees of punishments for different degrees of crimes or misbehavior. I just feel what Probst has done, while morally bankrupt to many of us, isn't enough to disqualify him.

So what if he isn't a perfect or even good human being (IDK if the latter is true or not, just making a point)? I'll guarantee that all the players and asst coaches that have passed through his system haven't been perfect either. Even the great Bob Ladouceur had numerous bad eggs go through his system. But none of them are at OJ, Cosby or Sandusky levels so I can overlook it. But I guess that's just me.

• Like 1

All these coaches were on winning teams that had certain advantages, like large enrollment, good assistants, ability to recruit, community support, good facilities, great youth programs....

But how would they have done if they coached a school that didn't have these advantages?  Would we still have heard of them? Would their winning percentage still be that high?  And so on.

I'm just asking, because there are/were many good or even great coaches in smaller schools or in urban areas that don't play on a level playing field, so to speak. And don't get their due recognition.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ohio said:

All these coaches were on winning teams that had certain advantages, like large enrollment, good assistants, ability to recruit, community support, good facilities, great youth programs....

But how would they have done if they coached a school that didn't have these advantages?  Would we still have heard of them? Would their winning percentage still be that high?  And so on.

I'm just asking, because there are/were many good or even great coaches in smaller schools or in urban areas that don't play on a level playing field, so to speak. And don't get their due recognition.

I think the best coaches flip the advantages in their favor at whatever school they are at. Outside of enrollment numbers, coaches can influence their own successes greatly. The best ones do. 

They work the system to their advantage by getting support, hiring the right assistants etc. etc.