FL,TX,CA

GrecoRoman

12 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Not because they can't keep their talent instate.

It's definitely true for TX. 

Last few years, top talent have been going OOS. 

Last year Herman was able to keep a lot of top in state talent at UT... but that was the 1st year in a long while. Still, out of the top 30, 1/3 of them went OOS.

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

This is a flippant statement.  That “kid from Hawaii” is arguably the best QB in college and a potential heisman candidate.  There’s nothing to “sink in” 

He doesn't know football.

11 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Florida didn't lose Lamar Jackson.  The Florida schools slow played him.  Bosa's were always going to OSU.  And Bama is Bama right now.  Kids go where they know they can get to the next level.  OSU and Bama are going to be pumping out pro's for a long time.

I'm not certain what you mean here - but I see you're an Ohio guy.  No doubt my favorite sports  state - by far the best northern/midwest state and puts out tons of top flight players (great wrestling also of course).  My former college team was in Ohio - used to have the best weekend going to an OSU game and then training at Westide Barbell.

On this subject  I have to respectfully agree to disagree.  Just from an OSU perspective alone, I remember Jim Tressel's interview after the 2002 Miami win where he said "my 2 biggest impact players were Chris Gamble (FL) and MIke Jenkins (FL)".  Or, watching at the shoe a few years ago to see the best players on either side of the ball from FL (Carlos Hyde and Ryan Shazier) only to drive to Ann Arbor the following  weekend for my first Big House to trip to see their two best players from FL (Denard Robinson and Jeremy Gallon).  UM's best defensive player this year and number 1 rated LB for the draft is from FL (Devin Bush) .....Harbaugh just said he's the most talented LB he's coached  > I think this guy will be big time NFL, take your head off hitter.  Reminds of Danny Trevathan (lol another FL who went out of state - Kentucky) or the hardest hitter in the NFL right now Karl Joseph - went WV who also gets a lot  of FL players 

I just rewatched last years Rose Bowl (great game) - two top producers for Georgia from FL (Sony Michel and Javon Mims) 

Who would you say Alabama's best players have been through their run?  Well - Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Trent Richardson, Derrick Henry, Ronnie Harrison, Terrance Cody, Javier Arenas are all FL 

If I think Clemson, I think CJ Spiller, Sammy Watkins, Mackensie Alexander.

Forget Lamar Jackson, Herbstreit used to call Louisville "Miami North" - for years they would have almost the entire starting unit from South FL 

You can even see this out West at USC (Leonard Williams, Mike Williams, Nelson Aghlor, Leon Mcquay) or in the small school network Khalil Mack - Buffalo, Antonio Brown - Central Michigan, Dri Archer - Kent State.

This list could just keep going - these are just top of  head guys I knew about when I was assisting in recruiting for my school.  Jimmy Johnson was notorious for saying "all I need is a tank of gas to field a college all star team - I just have to keep it here"   "Poaching FL" is a term known in recruiting circles.

My post was more just a casual formality but your response suggests you think I'm irrational yet I'm making a point I thought was commonly accepted.  (Not insulting you here just shows how we can all different opinions based on experiences, etc)

And BTW - Ohio is  no doubt one of those great states who doesn't need any help.  They can field a top college team every year > most of the OSU roster players form in state (great win last night)

Like someone else in here said; for years UF,FSU and Miami had 80%+ FL guys and were all legit top 10 teams and top 10 NFL producing schools.  It was that success in the 80's and 90's that made these other schools put heavy focus on FL.  I think CA and TX were already known before that point for being football factories where FL became the knew kid on the block who passed both of them.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, GrecoRoman said:

I'm not certain what you mean here - but I see you're an Ohio guy.  No doubt my favorite sports  state - by far the best northern/midwest state and puts out tons of top flight players (great wrestling also of course).  My former college team was in Ohio - used to have the best weekend going to an OSU game and then training at Westide Barbell.

On this subject  I have to respectfully agree to disagree.  Just from an OSU perspective alone, I remember Jim Tressel's interview after the 2002 Miami win where he said "my 2 biggest impact players were Chris Gamble (FL) and MIke Jenkins (FL)".  Or, watching at the shoe a few years ago to see the best players on either side of the ball from FL (Carlos Hyde and Ryan Shazier) only to drive to Ann Arbor the following  weekend for my first Big House to trip to see their two best players from FL (Denard Robinson and Jeremy Gallon).  UM's best defensive player this year and number 1 rated LB for the draft is from FL (Devin Bush) .....Harbaugh just said he's the most talented LB he's coached  > I think this guy will be big time NFL, take your head off hitter.  Reminds of Danny Trevathan (lol another FL who went out of state - Kentucky) or the hardest hitter in the NFL right now Karl Joseph - went WV who also gets a lot  of FL players 

I just rewatched last years Rose Bowl (great game) - two top producers for Georgia from FL (Sony Michel and Javon Mims) 

Who would you say Alabama's best players have been through their run?  Well - Amari Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Trent Richardson, Derrick Henry, Ronnie Harrison, Terrance Cody, Javier Arenas are all FL 

Forget Lamar Jackson, Herbstreit used to call Louisville "Miami North" - for years they would have almost the entire starting unit from South FL 

You can even see this out West at USC (Leonard Williams, Mike Williams, Nelson Aghlor, Leon Mcquay) or in the small school network Khalil Mack - Buffalo, Antonio Brown - Central Michigan, Dri Archer - Kent State.

This list could just keep going - these are just top of  head guys I knew about when I was assisting in recruiting for my school.  Jimmy Johnson was notorious for saying "all I need is a tank of gas to field a college all star team - I just have to keep it here"   "Poaching FL" is a term known in recruiting circles.

My post was more just a casual formality but your response suggests you think I'm irrational yet I'm making a point I thought was commonly accepted.  (Not insulting you here just shows how we can all different opinions based on experiences, etc)

And BTW - Ohio is  no doubt one of those great states who doesn't need any help.  They can field a top college team every year > most of the OSU roster players form in state (great win last night)

Like someone else in here said; for years UF,FSU and Miami had 80%+ FL guys and were all legit top 10 teams and top 10 NFL producing schools.  It was that success in the 80's and 90's that made these other schools put heavy focus on FL.  I think CA and TX were already known before that point for being football factories where FL became the knew kid on the block who passed both of them.

Last I checked Alabama has 6 or 7 starters from Louisiana this year......

You really should take your rant to the "excuses thread"......

1 minute ago, RedZone said:

Last I checked Alabama has 6 or 7 starters from Louisiana this year......

You really should take your rant to the "excuses thread"......

I'm lost on what you mean?  What could I  be making excuse for?

Just like GA, LA is no doubt another awesome state with tons of players that can field their own great team and produce extra so I would expect that.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, GrecoRoman said:

I mean OSU and Bama are going to get who they get because they have to 2 best recruiting head coaches in the game.  The Hurricanes best teams best players had super stars from outside of Florida.  Ed Reed was the absolute best player on his Hurricanes teams.  Warrick Dunn is the best FSU running back that I've seen and they haven't had a rb come close to his impact on football since.  These two guys are from LA.  UF with Meyer had play makers from up and down the whole east coast and Deshawn Wynn who is from Cincinnati leading the ground game.

Carlos Hyde is from Cincinnati.  I don't know him personally but I know people who know his family.  Second, OSU doesn't win a national championship or even make it to the game if not for Maurice Clarrett and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.  That's the same as saying Ezekiel Elliot wasn't the most important player on the OSU offense when he was at school there.  

Again I'm not an OSU fan.  

10 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

I mean OSU and Bama are going to get who they get because they have to 2 best recruiting head coaches in the game.  The Hurricanes best teams best players had super stars from outside of Florida.  Ed Reed was the absolute best player on his Hurricanes teams.  Warrick Dunn is the best FSU running back that I've seen and they haven't had a rb come close to his impact on football since.  These two guys are from LA.  UF with Meyer had play makers from up and down the whole east coast and Deshawn Wynn who is from Cincinnati leading the ground game.

Carlos Hyde is from Cincinnati.  I don't know him personally but I know people who know his family.  Second, OSU doesn't win a national championship or even make it to the game if not for Maurice Clarrett and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.  That's the same as saying Ezekiel Elliot wasn't the most important player on the OSU offense when he was at school there.  

I hear you.  Ed Reed and Dunn are two guys over how many hundreds in those programs through those times though. 

I did know that about Hyde with Cincy ......he lived & played his  HS football in FL   (Naples) but was born and did grade school in Cincy which were the roots back to OSU.  I don't know what other players Myer at FL from up and down the east coast other than Percy Harvin and Deshawn Wynn was far from an impact player of any sort - I actually thought he sucked

As far as the OSU - Miami game, I was just referring to that game not the season where no doubt Clarett was a huge factor.  Against Miami, he had 29 rushes for 43 yards .....Gamble and Jenkins were the biggest factors in that game and the two most successful players produced from that team (at least I think - I can't think of anyone else).  And on that note - Santonio Holmes is another FL guy.  

I understand your overall points though and agree. My post was more just for discussion purposes not as if it's the absolute reason for the current position of these programs. 

29 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Reggie Wayne is another great Miami player from that great NOLA area.  I'll just pawn that off to the  city of MIami having a better received they lost the same year in Chad  Johnson - he was slated for Miami but Dennis Erickson stole him away to Orgeon State.  Imagine if that didn'mt happen, Miami's receiving corp in 2000 could have been:

Santana Moss, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne (who were actually there) and Chad Johnson

lol

13 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Florida didn't lose Lamar Jackson.  The Florida schools slow played him.  Bosa's were always going to OSU.  And Bama is Bama right now.  Kids go where they know they can get to the next level.  OSU and Bama are going to be pumping out pro's for a long time.

This is true same with Derrick Henry.   Fl wanted him at LB lol. 

57 minutes ago, GrecoRoman said:

I hear you.  Ed Reed and Dunn are two guys over how many hundreds in those programs through those times though. 

I did know that about Hyde with Cincy ......he lived & played his  HS football in FL   (Naples) but was born and did grade school in Cincy which were the roots back to OSU.  I don't know what other players Myer at FL from up and down the east coast other than Percy Harvin and Deshawn Wynn was far from an impact player of any sort - I actually thought he sucked

As far as the OSU - Miami game, I was just referring to that game not the season where no doubt Clarett was a huge factor.  Against Miami, he had 29 rushes for 43 yards .....Gamble and Jenkins were the biggest factors in that game and the two most successful players produced from that team (at least I think - I can't think of anyone else).  And on that note - Santonio Holmes is another FL guy.  

I understand your overall points though and agree. My post was more just for discussion purposes not as if it's the absolute reason for the current position of these programs. 

The killer at TE was an east coast guy and Mike Doss was the most successful skill guy from that squad.  They had a few offensive and defensive lineman who played in the league awhile as well.  Gamble was solid for a few years and then he wasn't.

49 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

The killer at TE was an east coast guy and Mike Doss was the most successful skill guy from that squad.  They had a few offensive and defensive lineman who played in the league awhile as well.  Gamble was solid for a few years and then he wasn't.

yea ur right - Hernandez.  Haha when you said killer I first thought you meant great player the I realized who it was and its an actual killer.

We're forgetting Will Smith - he was a top dog off that team as well (have to give all on that team their respect b/c it was my favorite game as I hate Miami)

54 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

I wouldnt agree Doss was more impt then Gamble though?  Gamble went both ways and made the biggest offensive play in games more than a few times (and in that Fiesta Bowl game) and had a longer career than Doss where he led the league in interceptions a couple times.   Tressel continually said he was their best player season.

Doss was a great player though no doubt 

3 hours ago, GrecoRoman said:

Don't forget Soph Jerry Jeudy this year.   He's tearing it up there right now.   SMH.    All of us down here wanted him that's for sure.    Also Leatherwood on their OL and Surtain JR at CB.  

13 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Unlike most other states, Texas teams can win at a championship level by basically only recruiting locally.

Posted about a state whose only won one college football national championship in the last 48 years.

How's that local recruiting worked out for you Aggie and Longhorn fans?

I pray to the football gods that Texas schools continue to fail as long as their stupid fans keep spouting this dumb shit every year.

You clowns don't win any championships, hoss.

2 minutes ago, Guccifer said:

Posted about a state whose only won one college football national championship in the last 48 years.

How's that local recruiting worked out for you Aggie and Longhorn fans?

I pray to the football gods that Texas schools continue to fail as long as their stupid fans keep spouting this dumb shit every year.

You clowns don't win any championships, hoss.

I didn't want to take it all the way there.  I was trying to make a point of nothing has really changed as far as the  Big 3 losing kids to OOS colleges.  

17 hours ago, nptb17 said:

Who was the qb on OSU's last national championship team?  So OSU has 2 kids starting from Texas and now they depend on TX to fill their squad.  When folks talk about the OSU defense Baron Browning's name never comes up.  How many kids in the last 2 has OSU sent to the league from Ohio?  I don't like OSU by the way.  Why did UT get whipped in Maryland with all the Texas talent?  And I hope you realize the best back in he Big 12 is from Ohio.  Are you saying that OSU couldn't compete with a squad of just Ohio kids?

Jalen Hurts no longer starts for Alabama because Texas HF football didn't help him get better than a kid from Hawaii.  Let that sink in for a little bit.  

Jared Stidham at Auburn was beaten by Joe Burrow of LSU who is from Ohio and had himself a day today.  

Name one school outside of Ohio with 45 kids on it from Ohio and if you can then I'll shut up and rest my case if you can't then rest your case.  Find out how many schools has that many kids from Texas or kids from Florida or kids from California on it outside their states