Ohio Week 8 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

7 hours ago, OdbCle said:

Perfect storm (no pun intended). Mentor w/o Kipp. Cold night with a steady rain. The Comets have had Mentor's number in recent years, but this is still a very surprising outcome. 

Yes it was.  Mentor only beat Solon by 38-34 last year, and without their QB it is not surprising they lost.  Would be interesting to see Solon go against Mentor in the playoffs again.

Buckeyes only leading 23-14 in the 4th.  Score was 17-14 at the half.  If the Buckeyes want to make the playoffs, they better start putting these weaker teams away quickly.  They can't afford to play this half hearthed against the teams in the rest of their schedule, especially MSU or Michigan.

Ignatius 32, Moeller 7. Final. 

Started out as a defensive battle. Ignatius converts two long FG's to take a 6-0 lead. Moeller would answer in the 2nd quarter on a 31 yard TD pass, but that was about it from their offense. They played sophomore QB Malik Vernon for most of the game.  Not sure if that was due to an injury to the starter or trying to bring more of a running element to the QB position, but aside from the TD pass and a couple decent runs, he couldn't muster much of anything against the Ignatius defense. Less than 10 first downs all game I believe. Iggy forced three turnovers, including a fumble that set up a short TD and a pick 6.  

2 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

Ignatius 32, Moeller 7. Final. 

Started out as a defensive battle. Ignatius converts two long FG's to take a 6-0 lead. Moeller would answer in the 2nd quarter on a 31 yard TD pass, but that was about it from their offense. They played sophomore QB Malik Vernon for most of the game.  Not sure if that was due to an injury to the starter or trying to bring more of a running element to the QB position, but aside from the TD pass and a couple decent runs, he couldn't muster much of anything against the Ignatius defense. Less than 10 first downs all game I believe. Iggy forced three turnovers, including a fumble that set up a short TD and a pick 6.  

Slow start but Iggy dominates.

19 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

😂

I think it's more along the lines of Moe getting far more credit than they deserve for beating a down GCL and louisvilleTrinity.

I've been saying that for weeks.  They got all kinds of props when they beat St. Xavier a few weeks ago and the fact is, the GCL is just NOT a good league this year.  We will see that come playoff time if a team like Fairfield gets matched up against any of them as I think R4 comes down to Colerain and Fairfield this year.  Could be the first time in I don't know how many years a GCL team doesn't make the R4 finals.

The game of the week in the state is clearly Colerain vs. Fairfield, I think.  Anxious to get your expanded thoughts on that one Coletrain.

-93CardinalsFan

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

I've been saying that for weeks.  They got all kinds of props when they beat St. Xavier a few weeks ago and the fact is, the GCL is just NOT a good league this year.  We will see that come playoff time if a team like Fairfield gets matched up against any of them as I think R4 comes down to Colerain and Fairfield this year.  Could be the first time in I don't know how many years a GCL team doesn't make the R4 finals.

The game of the week in the state is clearly Colerain vs. Fairfield, I think.  Anxious to get your expanded thoughts on that one Coletrain.

-93CardinalsFan

I got Colerain but Fairfield will make them earn it.  

19 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

-93CardinalsFan

Your not serious.....Let's look at this....Fairfield????   They have yet to play Colerain (yes, this Friday).  Not saying that they are not a good team but... again, played only 2 games outside GMC 8 game schedule...lost to Springfield, and beat 0-8 Centerville. Played teams that are a combined 26-38 (still 26-30 if you eliminate 0-8 Centerville).  Hard for me to believe that StX would not be at least 7-1 (like Fairfield) if they played that schedule.  

Colerain by 2 TD's.....  and after that, let's see who, and how the seeds work out.  Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prepsbill65 said:

Your not serious.....Let's look at this....Fairfield????   They have yet to play Colerain (yes, this Friday).  Not saying that they are not a good team but... again, played only 2 games outside GMC 8 game schedule...lost to Springfield, and beat 0-8 Centerville. Played teams that are a combined 26-38 (still 26-30 if you eliminate 0-8 Centerville).  Hard for me to believe that StX would not be at least 7-1 (like Fairfield) if they played that schedule.  

Colerain by 2 TD's.....  and after that, let's see who, and how the seeds work out.  Be careful what you wish for.

So you think the GCL is good this season?  It's ok for the GCL to have a down season.

14 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

So you think the GCL is good this season?  It's ok for the GCL to have a down season.

Two points I was trying to make.  Fairfield may be the #2 team in the GMC, but who on their schedule that they have played, makes anyone think that they would beat any of 3 GCL D1 teams?  Not saying they couldn't, so let's see how they play the Cards'.

As for the GCL, real strange year I agree.  All have been up and down.  X has looked much better the last 2 weeks., both offensively and defensively.  Sense of urgency this week...will beat St. Ignatius IMO at home. Do not see them making playoffs at 5-5.   Colerain is the team to beat period.

27 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

Two points I was trying to make.  Fairfield may be the #2 team in the GMC, but who on their schedule that they have played, makes anyone think that they would beat any of 3 GCL D1 teams?  Not saying they couldn't, so let's see how they play the Cards'.

As for the GCL, real strange year I agree.  All have been up and down.  X has looked much better the last 2 weeks., both offensively and defensively.  Sense of urgency this week...will beat St. Ignatius IMO at home. Do not see them making playoffs at 5-5.   Colerain is the team to beat period.

St. X is the only team in the GCL I would say they would struggle with.  Everyone else would be in serious trouble and we might get to see it play out.  They would have the best 5 athletes in any match up with the GCL schools.  They are coached up pretty well.  To answer your question none of the GCL schedules make you go whoa.  GMC is better than the GCL this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

GCL-S has been logic-defying this year. Just when you think you've got a team figured out, their next game is a complete 180. I still think Elder is the best when everything is clicking. 

They got a gamer at qb.  Both he and the kid at St. X, you can win with.

3 hours ago, prepsbill65 said:

Colerain's opponents are 28-35...🤷‍♂️

Common opponents, for what it's worth....

Common Opponents
Hamilton
Fairfield, 40-6
Colerain, 48-6

Lakota East
Fairfield, 41-27
Colerain, 42-0

Princeton
Fairfield, 31-13
Colerain, 47-19 (later changed to 1-0 forfeit win)

Sycamore
Fairfield, 40-7
Colerain, 45-0

-93CardinalsFan

27 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Colerain's opponents are 28-35...🤷‍♂️

Common opponents, for what it's worth....

Common Opponents
Hamilton
Fairfield, 40-6
Colerain, 48-6

Lakota East
Fairfield, 41-27
Colerain, 42-0

Princeton
Fairfield, 31-13
Colerain, 47-19 (later changed to 1-0 forfeit win)

Sycamore
Fairfield, 40-7
Colerain, 45-0

-93CardinalsFan

IMO, when you first look at the common opponents, it looks pretty even.  I think most would agree the the 3rd best team in the GMC (if Fairfield in #2) would be Lakota East.  If I look at Fairfield and Colerain against Lakota East....I see why Colerain will prevail......their defense.  Both Fairfield and Colerain can put points on the board, but the Colerain D shows up for the "big" games.  Whether it is week 9 against Fairfield, or week 2 against StX (14-12).  Remember X had 6 turnovers In that game.  Colerain D gave up almost 300 yds passing, but never broke.  IMO, that is why they beat Fairfield Friday....their defense.

12 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

IMO, when you first look at the common opponents, it looks pretty even.  I think most would agree the the 3rd best team in the GMC (if Fairfield in #2) would be Lakota East.  If I look at Fairfield and Colerain against Lakota East....I see why Colerain will prevail......their defense.  Both Fairfield and Colerain can put points on the board, but the Colerain D shows up for the "big" games.  Whether it is week 9 against Fairfield, or week 2 against StX (14-12).  Remember X had 6 turnovers In that game.  Colerain D gave up almost 300 yds passing, but never broke.  IMO, that is why they beat Fairfield Friday....their defense.

Going off the first half of the X vs Colerain game, I thought X was going to roll.  Lightening happened and we know how everything turned out.

31 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Going off the first half of the X vs Colerain game, I thought X was going to roll.  Lightening happened and we know how everything turned out.

So very true.  Hudepohl stripped of ball on first possession of second half, Colerain scores right away.  Big Mo shift....  Bombers need to win Saturday against St. Iggy's and next Friday against Lou. StX.   Just get in the playoffs, then worry about who and where?  Will be in New York City on Saturday visiting our Son.  Hate to miss game, but we have our priorities correct.