Ohio Week 10 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

On 10/24/2018 at 9:04 PM, Coletrain06 said:

Winton Woods (8-1) @ Moeller (6-3) - WW 21 Moeller 17

I think this should be a close game, because Moe's defense is good enough, and Winton Woods isn't as flashy as last year. That said, Moe's offense will likely only score 2-3 times, and Winton Woods just has so much more athleticism and speed. I've gotta go with the Woods in this one.

21 hours ago, OdbCle said:

WW 21, Moe 17

Bxmk1ImvBsjja.gif.594418aba59f28505cabf36a68045b5c.gif

Don't look at my Fairfield Mason prediction tho 😂

Yep. Looking like 

Region 1

1 Mentor vs. 8 Strongsville

4 Solon vs. 5 Canton McKinley

3 Euclid vs. 6 Austintown Fitch

2 St. Ignatius vs. 7 St. Edward

Region 2

1 Reynoldsburg vs. 8 Toledo Start 

4 Olentangy Liberty vs. 5 Gahanna Lincoln

3 Whitmer vs. 6 Olentagy Orange

2 Dublin Coffman vs. 7 Westerville Central 

Region 3

1 Hilliard Davidson vs. 8 Wayne

4 Springfield vs. 5 Fairmont

3 Hilliard Bradley vs. 6 Pickerington Central 

2 Northmont vs. 7 Hilliard Darby

Region 4

1 Colerain vs. 8 St. Xavier

4 Milford vs. 5 Fairfield 

3 Elder vs. 6 Moeller

2 Mason vs. 7 Lakota East

20 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Yep. Looking like 

Region 1

1 Mentor vs. 8 Strongsville

4 Solon vs. 5 Canton McKinley

3 Euclid vs. 6 Austintown Fitch

2 St. Ignatius vs. 7 St. Edward

Region 2

1 Reynoldsburg vs. 8 Toledo Start 

4 Olentangy Liberty vs. 5 Gahanna Lincoln

3 Whitmer vs. 6 Olentagy Orange

2 Dublin Coffman vs. 7 Westerville Central 

Region 3

1 Hilliard Davidson vs. 8 Wayne

4 Springfield vs. 5 Fairmont

3 Hilliard Bradley vs. 6 Pickerington Central 

2 Northmont vs. 7 Hilliard Darby

Region 4

1 Colerain vs. 8 St. Xavier

4 Milford vs. 5 Fairfield 

3 Elder vs. 6 Moeller

2 Mason vs. 7 Lakota East

Who you got in the X/Colerain and Iggy/Eds games.  Too bad these teams meetup so early.

16 hours ago, ohio said:

Who you got in the X/Colerain and Iggy/Eds games.  Too bad these teams meetup so early.

I'm going with Colerain and Ed's, but wouldn't be surprised if either went the other way.

While an X victory would certainly be a huge upset, the history of this series tells us this will be tight. No team plays Colerain's triple option attack better than the Bombers. X should not be able to generate much offense against this Cardinal defense, but if these cold and wet conditions continue into the weekend (and it looks like they might), ball security comes into play.  A turnover here or there could flip the script in this game. Plus, we've seen this act before from St. X where they sneak into the playoffs, battle-tested, and go on a run. Colerain cannot be pleased with the way this played out. Any other opponent I'd feel confident in them beating by multiple scores. Hell, they may come out an smoke X. But I'm not willing to go against the history in this one. Cards in a tight, physical game. 

Ed's/Iggy is a toss-up.  Last weekend the Ignatius defense continued their phenomenal play, but Ed's played about as conservative a game as they could and still out-gained Ignatius by almost 100 yards. The game ultimately turned on two Ed's turnovers deep in their own territory to set Ignatius up with short field scores. I can't imagine Lombardo doesn't throw everything he has at them this time around. Ed's has more playmakers on offense, and their defense has come around significantly since the Mentor game in week one. The Ignatius offense, while improved, is still not one that's going to scare anyone. I have no doubt Kyle will have some wrinkles this time around, but if Ed's takes care of the football they should win this game.   And that's the big question, will Ed's avoid the mistakes they've continually made in this series to hand less-talented Ignatius teams a victory? 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Colerain over X

Edward over Ignatius

Elder over Moeller

Easy enough?

-93CardinalsFan

Hey GSB,

Sorry I do not agree with 93 Cards selections, and that they are that simple.  It's Ohio playoff.

Frankly,  I am not convinced that Colerain will beat X. 

No reason why St. Ignatius can not beat St. Ed's again.

I do think Elder will beat Moeller, but I had that same thought during the regular season, and was wrong.

So GSB, IMO - anything can happen (and usually does). It's crazy Ohio.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, prepsbill65 said:

Hey GSB,

Sorry I do not agree with 93 Cards selections, and that they are that simple.  It's Ohio playoff.

Frankly,  I am not convinced that Colerain will beat X. 

No reason why St. Ignatius can not beat St. Ed's again.

I do think Elder will beat Moeller, but I had that same thought during the regular season, and was wrong.

So GSB, IMO - anything can happen (and usually does). It's crazy Ohio.

Fair enough....let's break this down.

St.X @ Colerain

• Colerain has been in the playoffs 19 times.  Their record in round 1:  19-0.  The Cardinals aren't going to lose, at home, to almost anyone in week 11.  History on my side there.  Now, does that matter on Friday?  No, of course not.
  • How about the fact that St. Xavier is a turnover machine and Colerain is +16 in turnover margin?  The Bombers turn the ball over 3x more than Colerain.  And that is a key stat because in St. Xavier's 5 wins, they won or tied the turnover battle in every single one of them.  I think Colerain wins the turnover battle, maybe not to the tune of +4 as they did in week 2, but overall.
  • St. Xavier is a mess at QB.  Their starter all year is out and that may NOT be a bad thing as Jr. QB Rueve seems to have some people believing in him.  However, I would not want my QB to make his 2nd start against THIS Colerain defense...just my $0.02.
  • While the St. Xavier offense has struggled to find consistency as the season has gone on, Colerain is just the opposite.  The Cardinals are rolling with 4 and 5 different options in their "Triple" option offense and as good as LB T.Kiessling is, he can't cover 4 dudes at once.
  • Special Teams?  Gotta go with the Cards on this one as well.  The Bombers are 3-9 on the year for FG's and two of those came in the past week in a game vs. KY St. Xavier where they played their 3rd string QB and rested several starters because their playoff position was locked.  While the Cards K Chris Mangold's numbers aren't what they were last year, that is mainly due to snapper issues earlier in the season.  He is 41/44 on XP on the year and 21/22 the past three weeks after getting a two week hiatus to rest as he is 1st team GMC in Soccer as well.  During those two weeks....our SOPHOMORE K Cam Ott was 12/13 on XP.

St. Ignatius vs. St. Edward - not going to pretend I understand that rivalry as well as the Colerain/St. Xavier one, but all I know is that St. Edward has more dynamic athletes and out-gained Iggy's by 100 yards last week.  Eichleberg (sp?) is an outstanding LB and really helps solidify a very good Iggy defense.  I just don't think that Ed's is going to make the same mistakes they did last week and they will advance.  Could they lose?  Sure...but I'm thinking no.

Moeller @ Elder - The Pit!  Elder's 12th man!  What was once an intimidating place to play has really lost it's luster, it seems, as I've seen pictures of the place half empty during the season which is unfathomable to me.  However...it's still home for the Panthers and I think they will come out on Friday night fired up and ready to beat a team that they SHOULD HAVE beaten earlier this year.  While Elder lacks speed and athleticism at elite levels on defense, the good news is that Moeller really doesn't have a whole lot offensively either.  I think Elder gets up on Moeller early and stays that way to the end.  Moeller is not going to come back on Elder, I don't believe, to win a game on the road.  This is the one of the three I am least confident in but I like the Purple Kitties here.

Hope that helps GSB!

-93CardinalsFan

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Fair enough....let's break this down.

St.X @ Colerain

• Colerain has been in the playoffs 19 times.  Their record in round 1:  19-0.  The Cardinals aren't going to lose, at home, to almost anyone in week 11.  History on my side there.  Now, does that matter on Friday?  No, of course not.
  • How about the fact that St. Xavier is a turnover machine and Colerain is +16 in turnover margin?  The Bombers turn the ball over 3x more than Colerain.  And that is a key stat because in St. Xavier's 5 wins, they won or tied the turnover battle in every single one of them.  I think Colerain wins the turnover battle, maybe not to the tune of +4 as they did in week 2, but overall.
  • St. Xavier is a mess at QB.  Their starter all year is out and that may NOT be a bad thing as Jr. QB Rueve seems to have some people believing in him.  However, I would not want my QB to make his 2nd start against THIS Colerain defense...just my $0.02.
  • While the St. Xavier offense has struggled to find consistency as the season has gone on, Colerain is just the opposite.  The Cardinals are rolling with 4 and 5 different options in their "Triple" option offense and as good as LB T.Kiessling is, he can't cover 4 dudes at once.
  • Special Teams?  Gotta go with the Cards on this one as well.  The Bombers are 3-9 on the year for FG's and two of those came in the past week in a game vs. KY St. Xavier where they played their 3rd string QB and rested several starters because their playoff position was locked.  While the Cards K Chris Mangold's numbers aren't what they were last year, that is mainly due to snapper issues earlier in the season.  He is 41/44 on XP on the year and 21/22 the past three weeks after getting a two week hiatus to rest as he is 1st team GMC in Soccer as well.  During those two weeks....our SOPHOMORE K Cam Ott was 12/13 on XP.

St. Ignatius vs. St. Edward - not going to pretend I understand that rivalry as well as the Colerain/St. Xavier one, but all I know is that St. Edward has more dynamic athletes and out-gained Iggy's by 100 yards last week.  Eichleberg (sp?) is an outstanding LB and really helps solidify a very good Iggy defense.  I just don't think that Ed's is going to make the same mistakes they did last week and they will advance.  Could they lose?  Sure...but I'm thinking no.

Moeller @ Elder - The Pit!  Elder's 12th man!  What was once an intimidating place to play has really lost it's luster, it seems, as I've seen pictures of the place half empty during the season which is unfathomable to me.  However...it's still home for the Panthers and I think they will come out on Friday night fired up and ready to beat a team that they SHOULD HAVE beaten earlier this year.  While Elder lacks speed and athleticism at elite levels on defense, the good news is that Moeller really doesn't have a whole lot offensively either.  I think Elder gets up on Moeller early and stays that way to the end.  Moeller is not going to come back on Elder, I don't believe, to win a game on the road.  This is the one of the three I am least confident in but I like the Purple Kitties here.

Hope that helps GSB!

-93CardinalsFan

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying.  In fact, I believe that Colerain is the best team in D1.  But Colerain has been in this position the last couple of years.  Experienced team, great talent and what happened?  Lost in the semi's last year, and lost to StX the year before.  The pressure is on Colerain Friday night.  They beat X by 2, and LaSalle by 23..... and beat the crap out of every GMC foe. Many believe the GMC is getting better each year.  What this year proved is that the GMC might be getting more competitive from # 2 to #12 in the conference.....but there is still a huge gap between GMC #2 and Colerain STILL.  You can throw out all the stats you want,(Calpreps has Colerain by 21).  I'll take X and 21 all day long.   My point, of the 7 teams Colerain could have drawn in the first round, I am sure X was not their # 1 pick.  Why? because these two know each other so well.  Should Colerain win? Absolutely.  I have seen too many X-Colerain games to know.... very few wins are easy.  All the pressure is on the Cards', not the Bombers.  Remember, outside of the 2nd half at Elder, X's defense accounted for themselves very well.  The Offense (fumbles and pick 6's)lost games for them.  No excuses....Colerain should win but X is the one team in Region 4, who could beat them IMO.

1 minute ago, prepsbill65 said:

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying.  In fact, I believe that Colerain is the best team in D1.  But Colerain has been in this position the last couple of years.  Experienced team, great talent and what happened?  Lost in the semi's last year, and lost to StX the year before.  The pressure is on Colerain Friday night.  They beat X by 2, and LaSalle by 23..... and beat the crap out of every GMC foe. Many believe the GMC is getting better each year.  What this year proved is that the GMC might be getting more competitive from # 2 to #12 in the conference.....but there is still a huge gap between GMC #2 and Colerain STILL.  You can throw out all the stats you want,(Calpreps has Colerain by 21).  I'll take X and 21 all day long.   My point, of the 7 teams Colerain could have drawn in the first round, I am sure X was not their # 1 pick.  Why? because these two know each other so well.  Should Colerain win? Absolutely.  I have seen too many X-Colerain games to know.... very few wins are easy.  All the pressure is on the Cards', not the Bombers.  Remember, outside of the 2nd half at Elder, X's defense accounted for themselves very well.  The Offense (fumbles and pick 6's)lost games for them.  No excuses....Colerain should win but X is the one team in Region 4, who could beat them IMO.

Can't disagree with anything you are saying there.  Colerain's stumbles in the playoffs are legendary with no real good reason why.

5 turnovers last year vs. Pick. Central in the State Semi's was the topper...we had that game won and we gave it away.  Very, very frustrating.

Looking forward to good weather (hopefully), a big crowd, and a GREAT High School football game at The Cage on Friday night!

-93CardinalsFan

I like your guys enthusiasm, hopefully it carries over to the playoff thread!

Ill give more detail in the playoff thread, but In short @GardenStateBaller,

All 3 are pretty close to toss ups. Colerain/X should definitely favor Colerain, and I think if you had any real stakes in the game, you'd have to pick Colerain. That said, history and stylistic  matchups has shown that these 2 rivals usually play to the very last play of the game.

Eds/Iggy could honestly go either way. No idea....complete toss up. 

Same with Elder/Moeller. So close, I have no idea. I'll probably pick Elder, but this is a complete toss up.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 93CardinalsFan said:

Can't disagree with anything you are saying there.  Colerain's stumbles in the playoffs are legendary with no real good reason why.

5 turnovers last year vs. Pick. Central in the State Semi's was the topper...we had that game won and we gave it away.  Very, very frustrating.

Looking forward to good weather (hopefully), a big crowd, and a GREAT High School football game at The Cage on Friday night!

-93CardinalsFan

Agree.  Last year was really tough on the Cards' fans.   I thought Colerain should have won that game against Pick Central as well.

Remember...in 2016 Pick Central lost in the State Semi's to StX....Pick Central won State the following year.

Remember...in 2017 Colerain lost in the State Semi's to Pick Central.... Colerain wins State the following year (2018) ?

Something to think about... State Champion... lost in the State Semi-finals the year before. You can't make this stuff up.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:55 AM, OdbCle said:

I'm going with Colerain and Ed's, but wouldn't be surprised if either went the other way.

While an X victory would certainly be a huge upset, the history of this series tells us this will be tight. No team plays Colerain's triple option attack better than the Bombers. X should not be able to generate much offense against this Cardinal defense, but if these cold and wet conditions continue into the weekend (and it looks like they might), ball security comes into play.  A turnover here or there could flip the script in this game. Plus, we've seen this act before from St. X where they sneak into the playoffs, battle-tested, and go on a run. Colerain cannot be pleased with the way this played out. Any other opponent I'd feel confident in them beating by multiple scores. Hell, they may come out an smoke X. But I'm not willing to go against the history in this one. Cards in a tight, physical game. 

Ed's/Iggy is a toss-up.  Last weekend the Ignatius defense continued their phenomenal play, but Ed's played about as conservative a game as they could and still out-gained Ignatius by almost 100 yards. The game ultimately turned on two Ed's turnovers deep in their own territory to set Ignatius up with short field scores. I can't imagine Lombardo doesn't throw everything he has at them this time around. Ed's has more playmakers on offense, and their defense has come around significantly since the Mentor game in week one. The Ignatius offense, while improved, is still not one that's going to scare anyone. I have no doubt Kyle will have some wrinkles this time around, but if Ed's takes care of the football they should win this game.   And that's the big question, will Ed's avoid the mistakes they've continually made in this series to hand less-talented Ignatius teams a victory? 

Nice analysis. 

Too bad these two games are played in the first round.