Geico Event Q&A December 4 630 CST

PrepGridiron

Just now, Ararar said:

Thanks do you ever envision a national championship tournament with your bowl games

I think a true National Championship will be difficult in football as we would need access to all States in order to create a National Championship but in certain years if there is a consensous #1 and #2 we could definatley create a mythical national championship.  For example Gorman can now play.  If they run the table and so does Colquitt or STA next year that could be a top 5 or 10 matchup with enough strength to propel the wining team to #1.  If you look at the GEICO Nationals basketball tournament a similar formula but with 8 teams has decided #1 on the court 6 of the 10 years it has been held. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

What are the chances for a non state champion to participate?  

Right now zero.  We agreed with the State Associations involved we would only select true State Champions that had just won their tournament.  The idea was to pit State Champ against State Champ immediately after the season.  You guys already complain about our selections. I cant imagine the reaction if we took a runner-Up :)  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

What are the chances for a non state champion to participate?  

Right now zero.  We agreed with the State Associations involved we would only select true State Champions that had just won their tournament.  The idea was to pit State Champ against State Champ immediately after the season.  You guys already complain about our selections. I cant imagine the reaction if we took a runner-Up :)  

Just now, nsraiders22 said:

You can say that again.  😁

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Is it fair to say that at this time the following six teams are in their respective "drivers seats:" 

Colquitt, Lee County , St Thomas Aquinas, Lakeland, St Louis, St Francis

Actually 4: STA, CC, St. Frances and Lee County - we have some others in consideration if these teams don't win.  Lakeland and St. Louis respectfully declined to play this year. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I have a question 

You mentioned that not only are the games possible to increase but that more states will be involved

Any possibility that a state could field multiple state champs in a single year if the situation is set up for it to work out

Also could we eventually see it broken into regions once enough states agree to it,  (like southeastern region could have FL and GA teams and maybe another state or 2?)

yes.  One idea we had was if we could get enough States and funding was to take the top 4 ranked teams and have them play in our traditional GEICO Bowl Series as a national double-header and then take the remaining States who will let their teams play and have a series of local games for teams within drivable distance.  Those "neighboring state" match-ups could include multiple classifications playing against one another.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

First question. 

Can you please set up as many Miami Northwestern/Southlake Carroll games as possible? 

The top teams will have enough top players to satisfy ESPN's obsession with highlighting stud players. 

Get some Florida teams to Texas!!!!

@nsraiders22 this was asked earlier but hidden because the original 5 questions hadn't been asked. 

2 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Eastside Catholic has a loss this season to Oaks Christian, an early round loser in SoCal. What was the rationale in selecting them?

They have over 13 D1 players on the roster with a combined 98 D1 offers, the #1 sophomore defensive player in the nation, played 3 out of state games and a strong pedigree with multiple State Championships.  Regarding the Oaks game:  It was Oaks 3rd game of the year and Eastside's first. Plus Eastside only had 5 full practices due to Forest Fires in the Seattle area and then had to travel to play in CA.  Additionally Oaks was ranked in USA Today for most of the year.  We view Eastside as a possible Top 15 team next year and wanted to see how they would play against Centennial who is undefeated and beat STA last year and Gorman this year.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, nsraiders22 said:

They have over 13 D1 players on the roster with a combined 98 D1 offers, the #1 sophomore defensive player in the nation, played 3 out of state games and a strong pedigree with multiple State Championships.  Regarding the Oaks game:  It was Oaks 3rd game of the year and Eastside's first. Plus Eastside only had 5 full practices due to Forest Fires in the Seattle area and then had to travel to play in CA.  Additionally Oaks was ranked in USA Today for most of the year.  We view Eastside as a possible Top 15 team next year and wanted to see how they would play against Centennial who is undefeated and beat STA last year and Gorman this year.  

Now, this is good stuff. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

@nsraiders22 this was asked earlier but hidden because the original 5 questions hadn't been asked. 

4 minutes ago, StingMan44 said:

WHy did you invite Centennial over Chandler even though they lack big time national recruits?

Some computer rankings we checked had Centennial over Chandler as the top team in AZ.  In addition our contacts in AZ felt the same way.  Chandler has been awesome and we plan to have them back, but regardless of D1 kids we felt Centennial deserved a chance to play. While not flashy they did beat STA last year and Gorman this year and dominated their division in the playoffs.  Plus they really wanted to play and are excited about the opporutnity.  To us school spirit and interest matters.  The coaching staff and kid are all in and excited to represent their State. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Is there any states that you all feel are close to potentially signing up in future years? 

Due to confidentiality I cannot mention conversations with other States. However, we have had strong success in the West (WA, Utah, NV, HI, AZ) and in the South (GA, FLA).  We are hoping to breakthrough with a team in the NE or Midwest next.  As fans you should know we would live every State in the country to allow their teams to play.  Think of the development of this series as a 10-15 year process.  We are only in year 5 (we had to skip 2015).

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Hi Guys, we've solved the technical issues, but as you can see Rashid is signed in as @nsraiders22. Fire away with the questions.

My first question: Are you involved in the GEICO Showcase ESPN does at the beginning of the year?

Yes.  We run the GEICO Football Kick-Off, Showcase Football, Showcase Basketball, Basketball Nationals, Bowl Series and Lacross Nationals.  

@nsraiders22

Since Centennial & Eastside Catholic are going...

That means theres only room for 2 of the 4, between STA, Colquitt, Lee, & SFA. Are yall planning on just taking the highest ranked of the 4 at USAT? SFA played no one but remained highly ranked, and I believe STA beats Lakeland... And both are a couple spots higher than Colquitt at USAT. ((Thats the only poll that has it that way, Colquitts ahead of both in every other poll)

I hope not, as I think many would like to see a Georgia rep play in the Geico Bowl...  

I also believe either Colquitt or Lee would bring the most fans.

2 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

@nsraiders22

Since Centennial & Eastside Catholic are going...

That means theres only room for 2 of the 4, between STA, Colquitt, Lee, & SFA. Are yall planning on just taking the highest ranked of the 4 at USAT? SFA played no one but remained highly ranked, and I believe STA beats Lakeland... And both are a couple spots higher than Colquitt at USAT. ((Thats the only poll that has it that way, Colquitts ahead of both in every other poll)

I hope not, as I think many would like to see a Georgia rep play in the Geico Bowl...  

We are considering all options at this point with FLA vs. GA State Champion being one of them. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nsraiders22 said:

Yes.  We run the GEICO Football Kick-Off, Showcase Football, Showcase Basketball, Basketball Nationals, Bowl Series and Lacross Nationals.  

How do you determine the teams for the Football Showcase? As fans for HSFB on the national level, we'd like to see more higher quality teams as opposed to higher quality athletes. How do you balance?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StingMan44 said:

WHy did you invite Centennial over Chandler even though they lack big time national recruits?

Some computer rankings we checked had Centennial over Chandler as the top team in AZ.  In addition our contacts in AZ felt the same way.  Chandler has been awesome and we plan to have them back, but regardless of D1 kids we felt Centennial deserved a chance to play. While not flashy they did beat STA last year and Gorman this year and dominated their division in the playoffs.  Plus they really wanted to play and are excited about the opporutnity.  To us school spirit and interest matters.  The coaching staff and kid are all in and excited to represent their State. 

• Like 1